? 3/19 Ming PMPS = 320, +3 = 295 Going to start Levemir! Need some advice :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-17-ming-amps-349.212059/

I haven't been updating consistently, sorry! It's because I've been tired and nothing much is happening with Ming besides him flirting with good numbers but not going for it :rolleyes:

I'm going to try Levemir. My mom and I are ready! I want to start this weekend if it's doable. I have two days off. If I start Levemir on Thursday night, and monitor Friday and Saturday, would that be doable?

Right now, Ming is on 8.25 units of Lantus. I won't be increasing because I have work for the next two days. What dose would work for him on Levemir?

But also first, I have to go buy Levemir haah! I'll be doing that tomorrow!

Hope everyone's been well! And kitties have been being good :D:D:D:D

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hopefully Ming will do better on Levemir; that's what happened with Ti-Mousse. He's really doing better on Levemir; each cat has its own preference!!!

Uncle Ti-Mousse is back from dental surgery - 6 extractions! He didn't eat anything since AMPS this morning and we are at PM +3.5 .... I gave him his insulin at PMPS(BG 329) and buprenorphine!! He doesn't want anything!! Nothing is how you think it's going to be :cat::cat:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  3. Crista & Ming

Oh yes, I saw your post but walked away from my computer and got distracted haha! I hope someone who has experienced a kitty after a dental helps you. I only have experience up to when we send the cats home. It's always a miracle to me when a cat is willing to eat at all at the vet (too much stress). I'd be inclined to give lots of yummy smelling foods even if theyre high in carbs if it means Ti will eat! And woo, 6 extractions! So glad those are all out! Hopefully without those bad teeth, Ti's numbers go down.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar enough with Ming to give dosing advice but I think you'll like Levemir. Warning tho' - it's a different 'mindset'. Few things I had to get used to:

* Onset of cycle isn't usually until +4 to +5 - eating at AMPS isn't nearly as important as eating a bit later

* You'll be shooting lower numbers as you'll actually be closer to nadir than to end of cycle.

* Your spreadsheet will look really weird! You will actually have TWO cycles overlapping: Ssheet and Insulin. Your ssheet begins counting at shot time but Insulin onset isn't until +4-+5, almost half way thru the ssheet cycle. Your numbers will go UP over those first hours and won't start coming up much heading toward the next shot.

I switched to Levemir 4 years ago and have never regretted it.

HUGS

5. Crista & Ming

+3 = 295

Thank you for the advice! I guess the whole stalling and seeing if they're going up thing might not be helpful anymore?? But I guess we won't know until Ming is on Levemir.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Typically we switch with a 70% dose. That would work out to about 5.75 units. Some cats have a strong reaction to the change in insulins, so that gives a safety margin. And you should switch when you can monitor closely the first couple of cycles.

Cheapest place I found for Levemir locally was Safeway pharmacy.

Good luck with the change! Post regularly the first couple days, we could decide to fast track you back up, based on how he does.

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with Lev. You'll love the later onset. Just think, you'll have about 4 hours after shooting during which time Ming's bg should continue to rise. So it is not so scary to shoot low numbers. (but ECID, so keep a close watch at first to see how Ming reacts to Lev.)