3.21.15 Zoey 346 amps (woohoo!)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rose, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose

Rose Member

Good morning!

We're off to a much better start this morning. Hopefully those reds and blacks are history.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Yesterday

2. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Hi Rose and Zoey ;
    I read your condo from yesterday and thought I'd chime in.. I am fairly new to all this stuff too (diagnosed Jan of this year) and like you and SO overwhelmed by all there is to learn and read and digest..! Oren and Zoey seem to be experiencing similar trouble finding the right dose. He responded fairly well to his 2nd dose of 2u, but since then it's been a backwards slide with increasing doses. I think I am now forced to consider having his remaining teeth checked too, because he's up to 4 U 2x daily and still not doing better than high 200s. Just wanted to commiserate and say I understand the frustration of the rollercoaster numbers and wanting to help! I keep getting glimmers of hope, only to be shot down again!

I hope Zoey's better start this a.m signals good things for you guys Sending good 'vines' as they say here in Lantus land!

3. Rose

Rose Member

Hi, Megan!

I thought Oren and Zoey were similar, too. It's so frustrating! I'm experimenting with frontloading her food with a very small booster of food about 9+ (someone-smarter-than-me's recommendation) and the past two cycles it seems to help. The numbers have actually fallen after that snack. (??) Still too early to tell for sure I guess. I'm of the belief the wind could change direction tomorrow and she breathe something in the air that makes her BG rise .... that's all that makes sense sometimes. ugh.

I sure hope Oren has a good day today. I'll peek in on you guys later to see how it went.

Happy vines to you as well!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nicer start today, but unless you see blue tonight - I think you can go up to 3.0U tomorrow. Good luck with the increase. The part below in blue is the relevant bit from the TR protocol:

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.
    The +9 snack is something we only recommend for kitties on small doses that are getting close to an OTJ trial. Otherwise it's generally best that most food be given in the first half of the cycle before nadir. After that, the power of the insulin is waning and feeding carbs can put the brakes on the insulin action, resulting in a higher preshot.

5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Congrats on seeing some progress and good luck with the increase :)

6. Rose

Rose Member

Thanks for the go ahead on the 3 units. Got 'em started. Hopefully we see some blue today.

I'm going to feed her today all within the first five hours and see what happens. I'm definitely not arguing this point, but her blood sugar has gone DOWN a couple of times after her later +9 shot. It didn't this morning though but I did change it up and give her extra and also half an hour earlier (her insistence, not my wishes). But I know it's all basically an experiment to see how Zoey responds to stuff and I'm not against trying anything to see how it works out. I am wondering how she's going to react those last seven hours of the cycle with an empty dish. :nailbiting:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.