3/22 Honey AMPS 334, +6 181, +8.5 236, PMPS 295, +2.5 286

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie and Honey, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

2. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Can I ask why is Honey on such a low dose with those high #'s?

beautiful weekend.jpg

3. Julie and Honey

Before starting insulin she was under 300 consistently and on low carb, so should have technically started at .5, but started at .25 because before eating she was often in low to mid 200s for several months and I was worried to start on the higher dose, especially since her teeth are likely contributing to elevated numbers. Vet also was going to do dental before insulin if I could get a little more weight on her and she stayed in mid 200s, but after 2 months I could not get much weight on her, so only choice was to start insulin. She started creeping up a week or two before I started. It was starting lower or not at all.

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Have you asked for advice from the people here that give dose advice? Her dose seems way too low for such high bg?
    My cat was always in the high #s ,over 200 & six months later he was diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease. I feel it was from being in high BG for too long.
    They can also develop neuropathy if they stay high.

It always scares me when I see a kitty in High #'s for so long. I wish I had been more aggressive in the beginning. Maybe he would not have Kidney disease now.:( ( The goal to help heal their pancreas is to be in green & blue.)

I do not give dose advice, but the people here that do,are Experts!

I haven't been following your post since the beginning so if you've been getting advice here then maybe I'm out of line. :oops:

Best of luck to you. I hope Honey's Bg comes down.

5. Julie and Honey

Thanks. Seemed to be doing better a few days ago but had 3 late doses this week so was hoping to see if things would look better the next day or so if I can get back on shot schedule. She had labs 3 months ago and all was fine other than BG. I will probably take her in for a panel, but was hoping to get her back lower BG and weight up so vet will do dental. I have a scale at home and she has gained a little recently. When she was in mid 200s vet put her at borderline diabetic numbers. Normal range being 80-120 and up to 250- 300 after a meal is considered normal ranges. So at the time her fasting numbers were 100-130 above normal.

6. Julie and Honey

+6 181, double checked other ear, new strip and got 178, these are lowest numbers yet, hoping a good sign.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, blues are a good thing. :cool: Today is a perfect example of why mid cycles tests are good. For the moment, hold the course on the dose, unless you see a number under 90. Might want to test in a couple hours if you can, just to see if she’s still dropping. With SLGS you hold the dose for 7 days, unless you see an under 90. Then reevaluate the dose by doing a curve. So far her numbers are above 149 which would mean in increase in a few days, but she still has a few days to show you what this dose can do.

Will you be able to do a curve on Sunday? I don’t think there is enough data test to say when her nadir is.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

What kind of dental issues does she have? Lewis had one tooth pulled last week, a difficult procedure as one root could not be pulled and it was $1,092. It's been a long time since I've paid that much for a civvie which was painful but it had to be done. The pain and stress from dental can affect numbers.

9. Julie and Honey

Thanks Wendy. I don’t feel comfortable shooting the full dose tonight if she does not come back up at PMPS, she usually does not have huge drops like this from AMPS to +6, also down big from yesterday. I was going to shoot 15 early tonight ( did 15 early this morning trying to compensate for yesterday’s late shot), but with this big drop, will not do another 15 early today. I’ll see if I can get one more befor PMPS. If she is still hanging around 200 at PMPS, would it be okay to do a skinny dose? I am not a calm person and will start to freak out if I see her going under say 150, at least this quickly.

10. Julie and Honey

The FIV makes her gums more susceptible to infection/inflammation than regular cats. Last time vet looked in December, they were inflamed and vet said she needs cleaning. She had 5 teeth pulled at last year’s dental, but then she had gone several years without a cleaning. It has been 15 months this time, so I know she needs it, hoping to keep the rest of her teeth she has left:(

11. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're worried about a 150 save a bigger dose for a when you'll be at home all day and can do a curve. Noah used to do this, he's either run high or plummet, there was no in between. He was a bouncer and made me crazy.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

One thing to consider, there is a chance she will bounce from those blues. Which will give you a very shootable number tonight. The nice thing about lower numbers on Lantus, is that it’s great at keeping lower numbers flat. You don’t see the big drops you do when there are higher preshots. I loved lower preshots, cause then I had a good idea what the cycle would look like, while higher numbers could mean anything could happen.

However, it’s the night cycle and you don’t have a lot of data yet. You have shot a 241 on this dose. Think about what number you would feel safe shooting. Typically we tell new people numbers over 200 are safe to shoot. But SLGS does say if it’s a lot lower than normal, a reduced dose is OK when you are still new and gathering data.

13. Julie and Honey

I’ll do a +8.5 in 20 minutes or so, see how she’s looking, she’s napping now, but I suspect she will be looking for food very shortly. Thanks

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, looks like she is already bouncing from the blue today. Yeah for the Blue! :cool: That should make shooting the full dose tonight easier for you.

15. Julie and Honey

I was just looking to see who was still online and was getting ready to ping you. I am doing her PMPS in 30 minutes. I was originally going to shave 15 minutes off tonight, but will hold off on that. As long as her PMPS is low to mid 200s, okay to shoot full dose and not have to stay up all night checking? I can probably get a +2 after PM, but I am running out of gas, only slept 4 hours last night getting up every 3 hours to check on her and feed her. I am trying to stay awake as it is and it is only 7 pm here, lol. Thx

16. Julie and Honey

Yes, I was surprised at that one. Trying to dip a kitty toe in the water:cat:

17. Bobbie And Bubba

If she is up over 200, I would shoot 15 minutes earlier to help you regain your schedule. Yes, get a +2 to get an idea of how the cycle could go. If she is higher than 20% differential ( meter variance), then I would get some sleep and if you should awaken during the night to go to the bathroom, grab a test, otherwise, get a good night sleep.

18. Julie and Honey

Haha, have not slept through the night since December when I took away her dry food. She wakes me up every 2-3 hours. I finally got a timed feeder last week but have not tried it yet. I am currently not working, need to get this under control, someday hopefully I will get a job and actually have to function.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  19. Bobbie And Bubba

That is my sleep pattern also. Go to bed around 9:00-9:30 EST, awake at 12 ish due to Bubba meowing in my ear for his midnight snack, get up again around 3 to pee ( showing my age) and then again at 6 AM if civvie, Forrest doesn't awaken me at 5 -5:30 to go outside ( wants to do all business outside :rolleyes:)

20. Julie and Honey

I got 10 minutes early and this morning was closer actually 17, almost 30 minutes for day, so all good and PMPS 295. I am happy with that Preshot number, I can breathe. Maybe tomorrow will get some more good numbers.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  21. Julie and Honey

Forrest and Bubba, sensing a theme here, do you have a dog named Captain Dan:joyful:

22. Bobbie And Bubba

No two dogs, Lucy and Ricky :p Another theme, LOL

Julie and Honey likes this.
  23. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the blue today!
    I have a feeder and love it. It lets me get a little more sleep and I only fix food once per cycle. Scooter loves it too and knows exactly when it will turn.

Julie and Honey likes this.
  24. Julie and Honey

Thanks, pretty exciting:) she has had great improvement in the last 24 hours, nice to see something good coming from all the holes in her poor ears. I keep trying to find new spots to poke her so the other ones can heal, poor kitty.

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  25. Jill & Scooter

Do you have some “Neosporin Ointment with pain relief” or “Halo Salve”? I use both on Scooter’s ears and they help a lot.

26. Julie and Honey

Yes, I am using triple antibiotic with pain relief. Probably looks worse than actually bothers the cat.

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  27. Bobbie And Bubba

I have been meaning to post that Halo is no longer making the Cloud Nine salve. I found that out about 3 weeks ago when I called the company. So, all that will be able to get will be that which is out their at Chewy or Amazon or any other vender that sold it. Stock up!

28. Jill & Scooter

Thanks Bobbie! Love the Halo! I will be stocking up.