3/22 Luci 252 - Lagooning last night! **Cleaning Tip and Pics

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Saturday's Condo

We went out for a bike ride yesterday morning - it was another beautiful day in the neighborhood. I stopped and took some photos to share - see below :D

Luci decided that last night she was ready for some surfing - thankfully DH is a night owl and stayed up to steer her along with some MC...that girl and her timing..:facepalm:

I commented on someone's thread this morning that if you are unable to obtain sanitizing wipes and sprays you can make your own: https://www.verywellhealth.com/make-your-own-disinfectant-solution-998274

Since it's so very difficult to find sanitizing products in the stores now due to panic buying and due to the fact that people just don't realize it's as simple as buying a bottle of bleach - which might still be available or you may have some in the back of the cabinet...give it a try...I've been using this for years - since I never really rely on wipes or sprays to clean with...guess I'm old fashioned...or just old...:rolleyes:

BikeRideLake.jpg
    A small pond in the neighborhood where we rode yesterday.
    BikeRideBigHouse.jpg
    A pretty home which backs up to the river behind it...
    BikeRidePalmTrees.jpg
    There's DH up ahead waiting for me...and the palm trees are so lovely!
    BikeRideMelsVacant.jpg
    A local restaurant that's usually packed....only pick up allowed today.

Have a great day everyone!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad Luci stayed safe last night. I hope she slides back down today. Thanks for the link on cleaning.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Nice greens last night Luci!
    Nice photos Sue! Looks like a beautiful spot for biking!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I've always used Hydrogen peroxide. I pour it on my cutting board & let my kitchen sponge soak in it every night. ( I try not to spray anything in the air, I don't want my kitties or me inhaling it )

"Hydrogen Peroxide, According to the CDC, household (3 percent) hydrogen peroxide is effective in deactivating rhinovirus, the virus that causes the common cold, within 6 to 8 minutes of exposure. Rhinovirus is more difficult to destroy than coronaviruses, so hydrogen peroxide should be able to break down coronavirus in less time. Use it undiluted on the surface to be cleaned, but let it sit on the surface for at least 1 minute. "
    Hydrogen peroxide is not corrosive, so it’s okay to use it on metal surfaces. But similar to bleach, it can discolor fabrics if you accidentally get in on your clothes. “It’s great for getting into hard-to-reach crevices,” “You can pour it on the area and you don’t have to wipe it off because it essentially decomposes into oxygen and water.”

Love the first photo of the water! I'd be laying in the grass all day.It looks so peaceful & relaxing!

[​IMG]

5. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing those lovely sunny pics! Glad that Lucy’s care team member was able to steer her with food last night… I’m getting pretty good at that myself.

Maybe because I was in the veterinary healthcare profession, I have always had a little spray bottle of diluted bleach solution like your link describes at each sink. But one thing that link doesn’t tell you as you need to make a solution up every day for it to be disinfecting so making it up in 5 gallon jugs defeats the purpose for what we’re using it for now.

This information is directly from the Clorox website and also how we used it in the clinics I have worked in: Disinfecting Bleach Solution (½ cup Clorox® Regular Bleach added to 1 gallon water) The disinfecting solution has very specific instructions for mixing and use because Clorox® Regular Bleach is registered with the EPA as a disinfectant, with efficacy assured by following label instructions. To ensure its effectiveness (critical in a hospital environment) by mixing a fresh solution daily, but I can also understand that you don’t want to make it up every day if you don’t have to. To simplify things for you, you could make a smaller amount (2 tablespoons diluted in 4 cups water) that you use up over several days for general countertop cleaning. However, when you are cleaning up after things that are highly likely to spread bacteria (like raw meat), you would want to use a freshly mixed solution.
    https://www.clorox.com/how-to/laund...e-guides/shelf-life-of-bleachwater-solutions/

6. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

7. Sue and Luci

I agree with mixing up a solution daily - I usually just get a pail, add hot water, a dab of dish soap and a couple of tablespoons of bleach...maybe a quart of hot water...I take it around the house and clean with a cloth - I don't use spray bottles myself...

My suggestion was just to get folks to think about making their own cleaning solutions as a viable option when those sprays and wipes aren't available in the stores. I figured cleaning the old fashion way was better than nothing at all - and certainly more effective in eradicating those viruses we're concerned about currently.

I think it's critical that we're aggressive at this time with thoroughly cleaning all the surfaces we touch frequently...and maybe even a few more that we may not think we touch as often...I'm hitting the walls around the light switches and just about everything that can tolerate my bleach solution - in the hope that I've killed a few more germs and viruses that may have made their way in...ever cautious.

Another interesting article: https://wsau.com/blogs/tom-kings-blog/54/its-not-just-the-flu-part-2/

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's nice you are able to get around and about on your bikes. Some of the more popular hiking trails nearby had to be closed due to crowding. :rolleyes:

Is Luci still getting her dental tomorrow? Paws crossed for it.
    Which haven't been available for a couple of weeks now on the shelves. :mad: The one we have in the house is expired. Ditto for hydrogen pexoride.

10. Olive & Paula

Didn't know bleach expired.

11. Sue and Luci

It loses it's effectiveness over time...we've had chlorine for the pool that we left outside mistakenly - and when opened it was nothing but water. It's powerfully strong smelling when you first open the bottle...this was completely inert...most likely from being in the sun...and time didn't help either...

12. Sue and Luci

I'm really on the fence about that...we've waited so darn long for it and were delayed due to her broken foot...and now that it's time do it...the darn COVID-19 has me thinking twice...do I take the risk of going in and out of the vets office where I know other people are also coming and going? It's a quiet office generally and never crowded...but there are a good many people working in there...I'm hesitant...and now they're expecting us to drop her off between 7:30 and 8 tomorrow - I may try to call but they don't even open early - just have someone there doing intake for the cases that morning...I don't know if things will be worse in a week or two??? She needs her teeth cleaned...and it may help with her numbers...just not sure what to do...I was expecting them to say their office was closed! But no, they called to confirm...sheesh :(

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  13. Olive & Paula

They have been doing curbside here. They come to car, take pet and bring them back to car. You do not get out of car. They called me on the phone during Trips visit while I sat in car. Same with Tux. Didn't like it but postponing for unforeseeable future didn't seem like an option. Is this a routine cleaning?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  14. Sue and Luci

It is...but it's months overdue...we should have done it late last Summer...but I didn't like the vet there who did it last time, so was going to get it when we arrived here in Florida - already had the appointment for early November - and then Miss Big Jumper has to go and break her foot...so instead of a pre-dental lab, the first appointment with our Florida vet was a post-cast followup...she's really terribly overdue...

No mention of them coming out to the car to pick her up from me...they told me to go into the building...

Olive & Paula likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I expect things will not be better in a month. I've read that a lot of vets are doing curb side pickup. The other thing some are doing is only allowing one caregiver in the clinic at a time. Maybe you can call them when you get there and see what they are doing. It's for their safety as well as your.

Sue and Luci likes this.