3.26 Nelli +5.25 109; PMPS 186

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Krystina & Nelli, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

We are back!
    Hope hope hoping to get some advice. How to successfully administer oral injection of Bupe on gums :woot:. got Vet finally agree to Bupe rx. At my (aprehensive) suggestion of compounding with Diamondbacks.
    Sent them script for 5U, .03 does three times a week. It arrived today… Nellie is very difficult to put anything in her mouth. I think Paul @Bronx's dad, Paul said Bronx would rather break his neck than allow an oral injection. Nelli too :eek:

Bupe has arrived and I’d like to give Nelli ASAP :cat:

Oh yahl, Nelli has bad ear infect and I need to fill her ear canal with Zymox. Yesterday, first day… She was absolutely miserable acting as though, which she may have been, in more discomfort than before I did this. I need to give her another earful- thought if I get the Bupe in her first wait an hour or so later and fill canal again :woot:

Any advice on getting Bupe successfully onto her gums?

Thanks,
    Nelli (& Krystina) :cat:

2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with all of that! I did Bupe all last week for Ti-Mousse; he didn't want me to touch his mouth because of all the extractions, did my best so can't give you any good advice!! For sure a Bupe Pro will answer that; I'll watch for next time!
    Hope Nelli's ear heals soon :)

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear Nelli has an ear infection. I have to put my cats between my legs kneeling on the floor to give them ear medicine. I hope it clears up soon. As far as giving bupe, if you can get the tip of the applicator inside her lips near the back of her mouth you may be able to give it to her. It just needs to go in the cheek pouch and not inside the mouth. Sending prayers.

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Krystina,

Welcome back! Oral Bupe is supposed to be put into the cheek pouch. I had zero luck with Bronx (he fought me so hard) and ended up doing Sub-Q injections but stopped after it seemed to worsen his constipation issues. ECID, worth a try.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For bupe (or pilling), I get behind them on the floor. Their natural reaction to escape is to back up, so they just back into me. :) I then reach my hand around to their front, so the oral syringe is pointing back to me. I then insert the tip into the corner of their mouth on the side of the hand, aim slightly to the check, and squirt. Depending on amounts, might have to do it as a couple squirts. Good luck! It helped when I got the bupe compounded chicken flavour.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I stand behind Ollie, put hand in back of neck and use tip of syringe to put a little pressure at corner of mouth, she opens and I squirt it in.

7. Krystina & Nelli

ECID... I’m hopin’ constipation won’t be an issue, prayin’ actually. Truly, I had no idea how much arthritic pain Nelli was in. A Bupe .03 Bupe subQ brought her back (for 24-36 hrs!) to playful, bein’ Naughty... feelin’ good like (she was) 2+ years ago :cat:.

After having studied gut bacteria health on felineconstipation.org (thanks @tiffmaxee :bighug:)- realizing Nelli had very little if any fiber in her diet, she now gets 1/8- 1/4 tsp in two meals of organic pumpkin and a few shards of beet fiber pulp :cat: :)
    I do have a Motility drug which worked within 3 doses when she was clogged up badly... 4 maybe 5 days no poop but kept eating :woot:, as a resort if constipation returns.
    Prayin’.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  8. Krystina & Nelli

OMG, I can’t believe what I did to Nelli.
    I held her between my legs outside on cement walk, opened her mouth, held open firmly and lined her gums. She didn’t go thru the I’m choking, I’m choking :eek: :woot:, she was crying. Truly crying not a whining. When I released my hold on her and she got up to walk away... I unknowingly had my knee smashing her tail onto cement :( :banghead:
    I felt horrible.
    Horrible.
    I must have literally apologized to her 50 times and kept telling her I didn’t mean to do that :(.
    H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E​
    In here lies Nelli first Bupe in the mouth experience :(

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

We've all done things like that. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

So I’m curious about the compounding. When I had Bupe compounded for my old, arthritic guy, it wasn’t the same as the injectable bupe. The injectable bupe can also be given orally in the cheek pouch. The bupe I had compounded with no sweeteners, including artificial, but with chicken flavor, was just given as you would any oral med. it didn’t go in his cheek pouch.

But I didn’t get it from Diamondback as we have two excellent local compounding pharmacies. You might want to check with the pharmacist because if it’s like mine, it would save you having to put it in the cheek pouch.

Also, even if it is the kind that should go in the cheek pouch, it’s ok if it doesn’t. It tastes bad if they haven’t flavored it. It she will absorb it....just not as well or as much.

11. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Don't worry, we all did things like that ! Nelli knows you LOVE her! :bighug::bighug:

12. Krystina & Nelli

@Ti-Mousse OMG, she runs from me when I get near her... BUPE-ed up even :blackeye:. This hurt happened 4 hours ago. Gave her, fave treats right after happened.
    Nelli never gets mad at me. Runs from me?
    S*** -she stills needs ear canals loaded up with... :eek:

13. Krystina & Nelli

@carfurby :(

14. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. I used a bigger needle than the insulin syringes though with Bupe.

15. Krystina & Nelli

@Marje and Gracie just tt diamondback.

Ingredients in what I have:

Buprenorphine 0.3mg/ml Oral
    1. Buprenorphine Powder
    2. Dextrose USP Powder
    3. Benzethoniium Chloride USP Powder
    4. RO Water (purified) liquid
    5. Vanilla Butternut Flavoring
    Asked about ingredients in subQ compound:

Buprenorphine 0.6mg/ml Injectable​
      1. Buprenorphine Powder
      2. Dextrose 5%
      3. Benzethonium Chloride USP Powder
      4. Buffer Solution-HCL/KCL

16. Krystina & Nelli

I too was using a ( much) bigger needle for the Bupe subQ

17. Krystina & Nelli

Tt diabac, about this. Confirmed as you said given as any oral med- not in cheek pouch.
    I have no idea where I came up with the cheek/ gums. Although yes, I watched a YouTube-er on how to admin Bupe orally?

18. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

So do mean that either in the cheek pouch or directly in the mouth brings the same pain relief effect ??

19. Krystina & Nelli

I guess… I have learned that the oral and subQ are exactly the same. Both in a syringe simply if prescribed as subQ needle comes along with syringe and prescribed oral no needle. Same exact liquid though.
    This compounding really confuses me. I have been told that it is same potency as the oral and subQ vet would dispense-
    How is Ti-Mousse doing :) :cat:

20. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Interesting link on Drug Administration from Merck, https://www.merckmanuals.com/en-ca/...ion-and-kinetics-of-drugs/drug-administration Drugs administered SubQ or Sublingually (gums and cheeks) are moving into small blood vessels and carried by the bloodstream, so the same type. Oral administration (not sublingually) is not as efficient and is altered before reaching the bloodstream! I really didn't do it right for Ti-Mousse, should have read this before :(
    I'm reducing his dose tonight because of his 49 yesterday! We'll see how he likes it. Go kiss Nelli again !!

21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

She'll forgive you. She loves you. Tomorrow will be better!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hope Nellie feels better!

23. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Krystina. The liquid bup is most effective if it is absorbed through the mucosa, or the cheeks and/ or gums. If it is squirted down the throat, then you are losing a lot of the efficacy as it goes though the digestive tract rather than right into the blood steam as if it were absorbed through the mucosa. The bottom line is that you will get more bang for your buck if it is absorbed through the mucosa.

I hope that Nelli and you are doing well. :bighug:

24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

PS. If you straddle her from behind, she will be in the submission position and might help with the administration of the Bup or any med for that matter. Good luck and be confident. When I take the confident position, Bubba gets it and let's me do what I need to do.

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you are given the injectable form of buprenorphine to give in the cheek pouch, that is where it is most effective. If you jsut squirt it in their mouth, you won’t get the same effect.

The compounded forms can be given orally and don’t have to be given in the cheek pouch to be effective.
    Dextrose is sugar. And Vanilla Butternut flavoring for a cat? Ick....I bet it also has some sweetener in it. I’d see if it causes her BG to rise. When I first had to give Gracie compounded Ursodiol, they added maltodextrin and it caused her BG to go up. After that, they always made it with NO sweeteners, including artificial, and just added chicken flavoring.

26. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used to squirt the bupe on the gums.

27. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks... thought for sure her BG at PMPS would be high. Surprisingly not :). She was given in cheek, 5.5 hours earlier- could BG have spiked then gone down at 5.5 hours later? I wonder.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  28. Krystina & Nelli

Awe, I hope so :facepalm:.
    Didn’t dare fill her poor little ears with Zymox today; after this :rolleyes:.

29. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

good idea!