3/27 Vyktor AMPS 142 +2.5 139 / Purrdy AMPS 90 +3 117 +4 97 HC +6.5 128

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vyktors Mum, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Yesterday

For a change the numbers are better than the WCRs but you guys asked so here it is, and it's okay, we're okay (mostly). Life is life and sometimes it hurts you just have to roll with it, so we're rolling.

Vyktor
    AMPS 140 +2.75 79:D +4 34:D:DHC +4.75 43:D:DHC +5.5 54:D +6 56:D +6.75 50:DHC +8.25 65:D +9.5 68:D
    PMPS 151 +4 83:D +5.5 76:D +7 77:D

First the good news. His proprioception is markedly improved. Yesterday he even had a little canter down the corridor (haven't seen him move that fast in months if not years!) and this morning he had a poop without falling over :woot: This is a relief as there was every chance that it would go the other way and he would lose the use of his back legs completely. Yay for his acupuncture vet and her exercises :)

His mouth is shocking. It has been the worst it has ever been in the last couple of weeks. He has been showing pain even on drinking water and has cried out following yawns. He is soldiering on and I am getting food into him (mostly just chicken) but I think it has come to the point where quality of life needs to be put before quantity and the time has come for me to reconsider the cat version metacam that we have here. I plan to take him to the vet next Friday for dental etc. - if I don't chicken out again, I've been having stern words with myself!

Purrdy (spreadsheet link now in top of Vyktor's current spreadsheet)
    AMPS 131 +3 122 +6 68:D +8.5 83:D
    PMPS 124 +3 95:D +4 58:DHC +4.75 67:D +5.5 50:DHC +6.25 61:D +7 49:D:DHC +8.5 61:DHC +10 77:D

Poor mum - I guess we now know what happened to that dose he didn't use the other day - he saved it for last night! We gave him a depot reducing shot of 10u (usual is 15u) this morning. He's been throwing way too many pj parties for mum (or most people!) to be able to keep up the pace and I need to make sure that she get's a good nights sleep tonight, she is on her last legs. I'm considering a more permanent reduction but am not sure if the 3 shots at 16u are still playing a part. His depot seems to take longer than the usual 6 cycles to adjust, more like 8-10. Tossing up whether to go back to his usual 15u tonight and see if he starts it all up again, or whether to take him down to 14u and see what happens. Your thoughts welcome.

His vet has finally woken up that Purrdy is likely to have Cushings (suspect she's just been to a conference) and raised it with mum. I have had my suspicions about this for quite some time but chose to leave her in blissful ignorance since it's Cushing's so there's not really anything to be done. He has the pot belly (adorable!), bruises easily and the missing fur patches but otherwise is in good health. The vet wanted to start running tests but we have chosen not to since it will be expensive, can be inconclusive and at the end of all that - what can you really do anyway. But it's all in the open now (the vet's words were if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck) so I've added it to my signature. Plan of attack is to ignore it unless/until his skin starts tearing. If/when that starts happening we will let him go.

@missMeows - it's autumn here ;) but shhhhh don't tell the kitties I'd hate for them to try and colour coordinate with that and start throwing yellows and reds!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I sure hope something can be done for Vyktor....
    You have your hands full ... cushings sucks!
    My thoughts are with you....:bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I hope a dental will make Vyktor comfortable. Poor Purrdy. I hope he feels good for a long,long time.

4. smilelari

smilelari Member

Sounds like both kitties are having a rough time. Those are nice numbers all around though. Wow!

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a lot of green in this condo!

Sorry about Vyktor's mouth. I was worried when you hadn't said anything about how he is doing. Good news that his mobility is better and the acupuncture is working for him.

The Purrdy news sucks. Trilostane seems to do some good for kitties that have the PDH version of Cushings. If you haven't read it yet, the second part of this article has a good description of tests/treatments for Cushings. I do wonder the value of keeping Purrdy in the greens if he is indeed Cushings. Keeping him under renal threshold might be an easier goal on Mum. @Tuxedo Mom Mary Anne's Tuxie was diagnosed early stage Cushings too.

:bighug::bighug: One each for you and your mom.

6. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Prayers and healing vines. Lots of them!

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{Serryn}}

My first reaction on seeing those numbers was delight - so much green for both your guys! Then I read the WCR and got very sad. Poor babies, and poor mama beans. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I'm so glad that Vyktor's balance and movement is improved. That's huge for QOL, but his poor mouth! I hope that version of Metacam helps him. I agree about quality vs quantity.

Purrdy, I know you love the lagoon, but take it easy on your mamabean - she does need some sleep! How about you play on the beach and splash in the shallows a little, instead of looking for sharks? I agree with Wendy about backing off the dose a little to just keep him under renal threshold and let your Mum relax a bit.

I'll keep both boys in my prayers, and send lots of healing vines for them and comfort vines for you and your Mum. :bighug:

sarahtee likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

An inexpensive and non invasive way to test for Cushing's is to do the UCCR test (urine oortisol creatinine ratio) This involves collecting a urine sample at home in order to avoid any stress and sending it to a lab..mine was sent to IDEXX. The labs use the reference range for dogs since there is really no established range for cats. If the levels are 30 or higher (according to IDEXX) then it is unquestionably Cushing's. Readings 14 or higher can indicate borderline/early stage Cushing's. In my case I also had 2 ultrasounds run. PDH (pituitary dependant hyperadrenocorticism) will show enlargement of both adrenals, the liver and the pancreas, with no obvious tumours. This form is due to a tumour on the pituuitary gland. If only one adrenal gland is enlarged then it is most likely adrenal based, which is due to a tumour on the adrenal gland. Surgery can be done in both cases, but have poor survival rates.

There are other tests that can be done as well if the results are questionable such as the LDDS (low dose dex suppression) HDDS (high dose dex suppression) or ACTH stimulation test. Trilostane is used extensively with dogs and proves quite successful, but there is very little literature on the success with cats. Trilostane is expensive and regular ACTH testing (done at the vets and then sent to an outside lab) is needed to make sure the cat does not develop Addison's disease, which can be fatal. Radiation therapy can be done with PDH, but is expensive and does not always shrink the tumour, or the tumour can return.

Once Cushing's reaches the stage where the skin starts to tear there is nothing more that can be done. There have been 4 positively diagnosed (high ranges) of Cushing's on this forum in the last 14 months and another I found from a different forum. I suspect that Cushing's is under-diagnosed, the same way Acro was once considered rare. Usually it will be heart, liver or kidney issues that become the problem before it reaches the tearing skin stage.

Basically Cushing's is like a cat being on steroids (cortisol) all the time. The effects can wax and wane, much like Acro, which makes it very difficult to control the glucose levels. I just go with the flow with Tuxie and have no hopes whatsoever of good regulation. As long as he is feeling fine and happy we will continue along.

You might ask the vet about doing the UCCR test. When I had mine done it was around $100 Canadian. If the results come back borderline then that is a good suspicion that it may be early Cushing's.

Good luck with Purrdy :bighug: :bighug:

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Vyktor is moving better, but sorry his mouth is bothering him so much. Sorry about the potential diagnosis for Purrdy. Sending prayers and hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending Hugs and Prayers to you, mom and both of your furbabies. It is bad enough when they get FD. Why do they have to get all these ailments along with it. It doesn't seem fair.:(

11. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and your mom and your furbabies.

12. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Serryn))) Sorry to hear the news about Purrdy's probable Cushing's diagnosis, I hope it's a while before you start getting the skin tearing symptoms :( Keeping paws crossed that the metacam helps Vyktor's mouth problems - I understand perfectly about the QOL aspect, it's a tough decision to have to make. Vines and prayers for both your boys, and :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Serryn, so very sorry that both boys are presenting with health issues. Hope the dental will help Vyktor and so sorry that Purdy could have Cushings. Sending hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice numbers for the boys. Sorry about the others issues. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. missMeows

missMeows Well-Known Member

Many vines for Vyktor and Purrdy. I'm so sorry to hear about the Cushings but I'd probably do what you're doing with it. Why stress him out even more if you don't gotta.

Whoops! Man, I miss Autumn and Winter already. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll have a second home in Australia so I can have only the seasons I want ;) I did just learn that the moon is "upside down" over there too. Can't believe it never occurred to me! :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.