3-28 Gizmo AMPS=156; PMBG=194; PMPS=223 (45 min late); +2=168 He got contraband :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

I think I messed up this morning when I went from 0.25 units to a drop this morning. I completely forgot about 0.1 unit. My plan was to give that tonight and journey on, but after eating good all day ... he completely refused his little bit of food with cabergoline. :banghead:

So do I shoot the 0.1 unit and hope he eats soon or just skip the shot tonight and watch his numbers skyrocket? :(

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Will he take a treat? If so I would be tempted to give the 0.1 unit as you have about 2 hours after the injection for Gizmo to actual before onset.

3. Chubba (GA)

I don’t know. I’ll try and see,

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since Gizmo is on Levemir, you have more like 3 hours (in his case), to get food into him. That's why I really liked Lev, and for me it was more like 5 hours until onset.

Any chance you can syringe feed him? He does look like he's on his way up.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Chubba (GA)

Nope. Turned his head away and wouldn’t even look at it. It’s strange that he was chasing my husband for food earlier today and now can’t even look at it.

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones rarely eats his dinner at shot time. I give him a treat after testing to see if he will eat. He will eat any where from right away after the shot to 2 hours.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  7. Chubba (GA)

I have a syringe, but don’t really know what is involved. I am by myself until midnight (pretty much the entire active part of his cycle). He is usually very easy going and does allow me to do pretty much whatever to him. So maybe?

8. Wendy&Neko

How big is the syringe? I used to pick a food Neko didn't normally eat (so she wouldn't develop food adversions to it), added a bit of water, possibly using a immersion blender if needed to get it to finer consistency. This post contains a good link to an assist feeding video. Is Gizmo looking nauseous, ie. sniffing at food and walking away?

I was usually good to give at least a 1/2 a dose. That's what cats undergoing anesthesia and not allowed to eat will get.

9. Chubba (GA)

I know that half a dose is alright. But I’m not sure since he just earned a reduction down to 0.1. Should I go with that tonight or lower?

ETA - he isn’t really sniffing the food at all. Has no interest tonight. I did get a purr when I broke out his favorite HC food, but he still didn’t taste it.

10. Wendy&Neko

Worst case, you try the drop dose again and go back to 0.1 tomorrow if he's eating.

11. Chubba (GA)

Just retested. He’s rising fast (223). I’m going to try 0.1 being that he might have only earned the reduction because he threw up him PMPS meal last night. I think i will be able to assist feed if needed.

12. Wendy&Neko

Good luck. :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo feels better and eats for you. Sending prayers.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  14. Chubba (GA)

So I just figured out what happened and I probably should have shot a lot more insulin. He got out into our garage and ate through a bag of science diet glucose management dry cat food. At least it was cat food this time and not dog food. I had it packaged up (a long time ago), but haven’t gotten it to the shelter yet. I feel terrible that he got into the contraband and am terrified that it is going to ruin everything.

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think it will ruin everything. Just move on to tomorrow and don't worry.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  16. Chubba (GA)

He probably isn’t going to eat anytime soon. Just discovered that he had a feast of dry cat food sometime between +10 and +11.5.

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I noticed that after I hit the reply button, so I changed my post. Don't worry. It will be OK!

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you figured out what was going on with Gizmo. He'll get back on track once the dry food gets out of his system. :bighug:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Naughty Gizmo! At least it's not an appy issue. :rolleyes:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  20. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

LizzieInTexas and Chubba (GA) like this.
  21. Chubba (GA)

+2 = 168

Acting a bit more interested in food, but not willing to eat yet ... although I found him sitting at the garage door and pawing at it. I’m thinking he would eat more dry food if he could get it. :rolleyes::cat:

22. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

That sounds like nausea. When my Gizmo wouldn't eat he would always eat the dry Young Again. It probably saved his life while I jerked around and couldn't figure out what was going on - labs finally indicated an infection of some sort but vet didn't do urinalysis so not sure if it was UTI and/or kidney. But I think the dry didn't turn him off like the wet (any of the wet).

23. Chubba (GA)

And ... the civvie just ate Gizmo’s food with the cabergoline mixed in. I got sidetracked and forgot it was still down. :banghead:
    I think I’m just going to bed and starting over in the morning.
    I think he’s just not eating cause he stuffed himself with the forbidden food, but I could be wrong. I’ll have to see what tonight and tomorrow brings. But being that he was so willing to eat all day, I’m hoping he’s just not hungry yet.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  24. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a good sign. I missed that point.

Fingers crossed. He will get back to normal - don't stress about that - just frustrating I know. :bighug::cat:

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  25. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I think he's holding out for more dry cat food. I can just hear him sitting there and pawing at the garage door. "I know I can get in, just gotta push a little harder...come on open up...drats"

26. Chubba (GA)

Lol. That’s exactly what he was thinking. The bad part is sometimes the door doesn’t latch and he can get it open. :facepalm:

He did eat some fowl ball just a few minutes ago and then threw up a massive amount of liquid and what appeared to be swollen dry food. My husband will check him in a couple hours when he gets home. Hopefully he will be back to normal by morning.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  27. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Aha! He really pigged out! sort of like me when I get my hands on unlimited eclairs. I over eat and get nauseous. Totally worth it!

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  28. Chubba (GA)

Gizmo ate his +6 last night (which was really a +5) and ate this morning! Seems much better. Amps = 156
    Thanks everyone for the help last night. :bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  29. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.