3.29.15 Zoey 335 amps

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rose, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose

Rose Member

Happy Sunday!

I've awoken this morning with the Limbo phrase on my mind: How low can you go? How low can you go? I've explained the challenge to Zoe and she's resting, readying herself for the dance.

I have no idea what that was about yesterday ... bounce? But after Zoey's kibble krawl and my head spinning, dh has cleared off an entire counter top to keep the kibble/high calorie wet food out of reach in his garage and allow the other cats their access. He really is a good man. <3

Enjoy this day of rest!

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Looks like it took around 14 hours for her to clear the high numbers from her kibble raid.

You've got 7 cycles at 3.25u and still no green. I think you could increase another 0.25u tonight if you want, or wait til morning for a total of 8 cycles at 3.25u if you prefer. It looks like this dose is getting her into the 120's at the lowest. Of course, if she decides to go lower today that would change things!

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.

3. Rose

Rose Member

Got it and I upped the dose by .25. She's now at 3.50. Thanks!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the increase!

5. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease!

6. Rose

Rose Member

@julie & punkin (ga) , @Patricia & Noodle , @Wendy&Neko -- Thank you guys for the wishes of luck. It is sometimes the back bone of my resolve so please know how much it is appreciated. :)

I'm pretty concerned that Zoey does have Cushings @Wendy&Neko . She now has a deeper, darker, more intense mark on her belly with a few darker spots. Her skin does feel fragile so I'm sure those are bruises and/or some kind of upcoming sores that are being exacerbated by her diabetes. The prognosis of that dx is not good and based on only 50% of kitties surviving longer than 6 months post surgery, it does not seem like a wise investment of our money. Of course, we certainly are praying and hoping for a better dx than that, but we've read the literature, none the less, so we'll be better prepared if needed. Having made that hard decision, we're looking at different courses of action that we can take now. I've read some positive results with colloidal silver, cushex and iodine. Has anyone had any experience or know someone on the site who has had some experience with any of those holistic approaches?

As a separate matter: In my reading I see that Neosporin Cream with Pain Reliever should not be used; however, I know I've read here that people are using it. I use it on Zoey's paw pads when I prick, and I also just put it on her belly in an area that looked like it was bruised. (Do not remember exactly where now that she has more spots) I'm sure it's a case of ECID, but could the cream with pain reliever be causing the spots or could it be an allergic reaction to something? I've got to get through Easter and then I plan to switch Zoey to an all raw diet. (Dr. Pierson's) I am so very open to any suggestions that wouldn't hurt to try.

I've washed her belly to get the cream and pain reliever off and I've rubbed it with coconut oil and tied a piece of an ace bandage around her belly to help keep it clean and the coconut oil off from everything. I'm wondering if the added support on her belly isn't helping her because she is tolerating it very well and seems to be very relaxed with it on. Kind of like those thunder vests for dogs that make them feel safe??? I don't know. Sure do wish I did though. :/

I'll check back later with her BG on her new dose around nadir.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Marje's Gracie was allergic to the neomycin (I think it was) in the Neosporin, so she switched to Polysporin for after pokes. Most people here use the gel instead of the cream.

I've seen thundershirts for cats at Petsmart too.

Cushings is rather rare - but I think you mentioned you were seeing an internist soon. Might be worth mentioning to see what they think. There are tests and it would be good to know one way or the other if the vet thought it was a possibility. My only experience with Cushings was with a friend's dog, he lived to 16 and died from something else. I've only seen about 3-4 Cushing's kitties here and I think they were going the conventional route of treatment. But how you treat depends on the cause and there are multiple causes. Hoping for the best.:bighug:

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Hopefully we're worrying about nothing here, but it's always good to know what's going on. I think if you're concerned about the Neosporin with Pain Relief you should just stop using it. It's really about making the poking more comfortable, but it isn't essential.

I've sent a message on facebook to Linda - Bear Man had Cushings and Linda knows more about it than anyone else. She may be gone right now, but I'm sure when she's available she'll come check in with you.

We're with you and Zoey! Just hang in there! :bighug:

9. Rose

Rose Member

Thank you. I'm fighting tears so just ... thank you. :)

10. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Rose; so sorry to hear about all Zoey's issues!! Oren didn't react well to the 'generic' neosporin pain relief cream either; it took the hair off his ears!! I switched to real neosporin gel and he's much better, hair growing back and now I only judiciously use the gel, with no further issues. I'm sending lots of good vines and energy for you and
    Zoey, for the diagnosis and dosecrease. Hang in!!!:bighug:

Rose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.