3-3 Gizmo AMPS=206; +2=123; +5.25=98; +9.75=167; PMPS=183; +2=165

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chubba (GA), Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Not a bad number this morning at all considering the bounce last night. I had enough lantus for this morning’s shot and probably another day or so. If the vet will let us switch to levemir, I will probably make the switch tomorrow morning. My husband is on vacation next week, so he will be able to monitor closely if needed. Gizmo is currently on 6.5 units of lantus. What dose should I start levemir with?

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Ooo, good luck with the switch. I hope it levels out Gizmo's numbers.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We usually suggest starting Levemir at 70% of the Lantus dose, just in case Gizmo is one of those cats that has a strong initial reaction. If he's still at his current dose then, that would be 4.5 units. Good luck with the vet.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  4. Chubba (GA)

Back from vet visit ...

Gizmo ... got a senior panel done for blood work. Wasn’t sure about retesting the IGF-1 levels or switching to Levemir ... going to research and get back to me (just a part time vet who helps out on weekends). Well, she just called me back and said she learned something new today about diabetes and Acro. :) She is going to go ahead and send the blood for the IGF-1 test. Said she doesn’t expect their to be much difference, but it will be good to at least recheck it once. Said it is more important to base the cabergoline working on the fact that Gizmo has been better regulated and his improving clinical signs. She is calling a prescription in for levemir today, but unfortunately the pharmacy is already closed, so I won’t be able to start him until tomorrow night at the earliest. She recommended starting at 3 units (I was thinking 4 units - thoughts/advice?). Then increase from there every 2-3 days.

Daisy ... was her usual mean grumpy self. :cat: They tried to get blood for a senior panel and could not. The vet mentioned gabapentin for her pain. I asked about adequin and that is the route we decided to go. She got her first shot this morning. I swear it seems to be working already. She will get shots twice a week for two weeks and then if working I can administer at home. The vet also gave me gabapentin to give her before her next visit on Wednesday to help relax her some. We are hoping to get her blood work then and she will get her second adequin shot.

I am so happy we switched to this vet practice. They have been so helpful and understanding with Gizmo’s treatment.

I forgot to ask about how long it takes to get the results for the blood work. Does anyone know? They use antech.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

See above. ;)

With Idexx, I'd usually get bloodwork results overnight. But with the weekend, it might not be until Monday.

6. Chubba (GA)

I saw your response. We must have cross posted. :)

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you found a good vet. I hope the Levemir works for Gizmo. I'm glad the Adequin seems to be helping Daisy.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  8. Chubba (GA)

Neither cat is eating again. :banghead: Revenge for taking them to the vet? :confused: Daisy ate most of the day and just stopped recently. Gizmo ate this morning and hasn’t eaten much since we got back from the vet. He threw up shortly after pm +2. :facepalm: I’m hoping he snaps out of this sometime soon because I really don’t want to start a new insulin with him not eating,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.