3/3 Jonesy AMPS (Dental today) 1st test 47, after dental PMPS 464 - 1.75u UPDATE :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Cripes, I just tested Jonesy and he's a 47. He's acting normal, alert, happy other than the fact I'm not feeding him (dental today)

Do I give him ANYTHING to bring his numbers up? A touch of syrup?? Obviously he's not supposed to be eating due to the dental. I DID give him sub-q fluids last evening, which does help with his numbers.

What should I do???? (As I have to get ready for work, and taking him in, I'm going to be in and out of the office, will check every few minutes)

Thanks,
    Darcy

Yesterday http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-2-jonesy-amps-281-1-75u-pmps-310-1-75-239-4-5.226452/

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe you can rub some syrup on his gums and let the vet know what you did when you get there.

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

You'll want to make sure the vet is going to monitor his BG while he's doing the dental.

4. Darcy and Jonesy

I agree. Thanks Carla, I think that's the way to go, will raise him up safely, but without putting food in his tum.

Okay, off to get sticky fingers ;)

I'm bringing MY human monitor, and I'll conveniently "forget" the insulin. They're good about monitoring, not sure if they'll use mine too, but they do "respect" the fact he is diabetic.

Thanks again! (Will remove the 911)

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  5. Darcy and Jonesy

@carfurby ?

I've never had to "crack the seal" on my syrup. I put some on a fingertip and he licked it off. If I had to compare it to insulin units ;) he probably "got" about 1.5u

Any idea if that should be sufficient? I'll test again in 15 minutes from now.

6. carfurby (GA)

I'm not sure and I don't know if licking is the same as rubbing on his gums. You'll just have to see where he is on the next test.

7. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Wishing you the best luck today Darcy. Dental vines to Jonesy and comfort vines to you. :bighug:

8. Darcy and Jonesy

I think we're good. He's climbed a tiny bit, up to 50. Will test again in 30, but he's purring and happy.

Thanks for the advice Carla! :D

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  9. Darcy and Jonesy

Thank you Sonia! Such a strange way to "wake up" on a dental day eh?! But I confess, I'd rather he climb up during the day from a bright green than from a yellow and keep going ;)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  10. Darcy and Jonesy

He's still at 50 so I gave another drop but VERY specifically on his gums. But he's feeling okay, alert (and not looking at the carrier ;) LOL)

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

It's possible vet will give dextrose fluid during the dental. I'm sure they will stay on top of it.

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would call the vet now. They may postpone the dental since anesthesia lowers BG. They may not want to risk driving numbers too low.

LilTurkey and Si am cat mom like this.
  13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Darcy, I hope everything is okay, let us know how the day shaped up for Jonesy when you get a chance.

14. Darcy and Jonesy

Hi all,

So Jonesy is HOME and already eating. He is currently at 464 and I've shot his regular 1.75. Right now it is 8:15 pm and I'll get a +2 on him. He's still pretty loopy as his dental wasn't started until 3 and it took just under two hours. He had four extractions, of which three were canines (three? The two top big ones and one bottom big one) One was literally cracked off at the gum, the other had the tip broken off :'( Poor guy had a seriously rough life before he came inside to his forever home . . .

But, the potentially really bad news, his xray showed an abnormality in his jaw bone. They'd done a biopsy and will send it away for testing. Best case scenario, it is from ongoing infection. Worst case scenario is a cancer of some type. But I'm an "it will be what it will be" kinda girl. No matter what happens, we'll deal with it. He came home, that's all that matters at this very moment.

I've got bupe to give him before bedtime, plus he's on the same type of antibiotic for the next ten days as he was the previous week (I'd have to look back, starts with a C?)

Oh, I've given him only about two teaspoons of soupy wet food. I'll give him some time to digest that (maybe feed myself now?! heehee) then will give him more small meals over the next couple hours.

He tested NEGATIVE for ketones, which is wonderful. I'm thrilled at how very respectful of my wishes they were. I didn't bring his insulin and told them why not. When I spoke to them (still from work) at around 5:30 they said he's at 25 on their AlphaTrak. I know they WANTED to give him a shot, but I said "no, not without food in him". Oh, and he climbed throughout the day from 5, to 10, then 25 after the surgery, so he wasn't that high all day long.

Whew . . . I'm a tired bean ;) Off to get myself some vittles, then will come back and sit with my boy.

Thanks again everyone for all your support and knowledge. It means more than I can say.

Darcy and the newly "toof-less" Jonesy

15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So glad he is home and those bad toofs are out. Praying the jaw is nothing serious.

16. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Just for clarity, that's 25 mmol/L which is 450 mg/dl for our US friends ;)

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Bummer Jonesy had to wait so long for the dental, but he will feel better with those bad teeth gone.

Neko had a bony growth on her jaw bone. Dental vet had me all prepared for the worst case. Sent a biopsy off to Guelph for analysis. Boy was I glad the vet was wrong! Here's hoping Jonesy's jaw is equally benign.

FYI, they probably could have given him at least a half dose. Insulin is used in the body for more than just countering the carbs in his food.

LilTurkey and Darcy and Jonesy like this.
  18. Darcy and Jonesy

Huh, I've always thought they had to have food in their stomach/system before insulin. But, it would have also totally thrown off the schedule. He's eating more right now (slow, small meals, super soupy) and then once I lock Vinnie away, I'll take Jonesy to lie on the bed on top of the electric blanket for a bit. But so far so good.

Thanks for letting me know about Neko's growth. My vet is wonderfully honest, and I know if he suspected cancer, he would have said so. But I was the first one to say "possibly cancer?" and he said maybe. But then he said "for some reason, I don't think so. . . " So, we'll see!

LilTurkey and Judy and Freckles like this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The usual message from vets if diabetic cats are going under anaesthesia is half dose the morning of, and a lot of them say no food since the night before. The newer protocol that my dental vet followed was up to 1/3 of breakfast before 6:00 AM.