3/7 Zoot! AMPS=74;+4=62;+6=87;+9=59;+9.75=46 ;+10.25=56;PMPS=56;+2=72;+4=67

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Another day surfing? Hope so!

Something I have noticed in the past 3 months. Zoot! never used to play with the other cats. Now the three cat-youngsters (ages 2, 2, 1) engage with him daily for play - he chases and is chased around the house and up and down stairs; and he rough and tumbles with them. Before, he was just a lovable lunk, but now, seeing him so active, is a great thing (and he is still a lovable lunk).

Yesterday's thread: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-65-10-66-pmps-80-3-5-77.226641/#post-2538863

2. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Tomorrow Zoot! could possibly earn a reduction to .25 units, per this: "reduction *earned* when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) and stays under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week and following TR."

I am wondering what you think about whether his SS numbers warrant reducing his dose. He seems really stable at .5. Previously his numbers were getting getting lower as we approached the next reduction, but he seems really steady at this level.

Advice? I don't want to hurry the process.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Looks like so far so good :D

The first reduction we took by virtue of staying in the normal range for at least 7 days totally freaked me out. Looking at BKs ss I held each dose slightly longer. Not sure exactly why - I had cancer surgery in the midst of it all and started chemotherapy 9 days before we started his OTJ trial. It was a crazy time.

Sue and Luci and Cinnie Cole like this.
  4. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I obviously can't give dosing advice about this, but one thing I do think often in this journey is "you'll never know until you try"
    Risks have to be taken at some level to see what happens

Sue and Luci and Cinnie Cole like this.
  5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Such a good report on Zoot! Cinnie!
    So it was on January 10-11 when Zoot! tried to race OFF insulin from 1.5 to 1 unit for one dose, then OTJ, which ultimately failed after a few days. Now Zoot! Is following the rules. Since he has stayed in good green numbers for a week, I think I'd go for the reduction. I do understand what you mean about him not really asking for a reduction though. But it's been a week in greens, so maybe it is his way of asking?
    Keep playing with the young ones Zoot!!

Cinnie Cole and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

@toomanycats @Tina Marie and Jan
    Thank you ALL for piping in. Okay, if Zoot! tells me that he is good with these greens, then I will take the risk. You are right, nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Also, @Sandy and Black Kitty I am so sorry to hear you went through cancer and I hope all has worked out well for you in that respect. I can't imagine what daily decision-making is like when nothing is normal. So glad you are here to help support us trepidatious pet parents! Stay well. Black Kitty was a great success story.

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful numbers! Good luck on the next reducie...time to go down the dosing ladder.

I sure hope this time he stays the course and keeps on with his beautiful numbers.

Just be watchful of any movement in the wrong direction...nudge him back down if you need to...

Be brave, be bold :)

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  8. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Yeah - he threw up this AM (scarf and barf) which shows in the higher +6 number, I think. looks like he swung down now - may check in 30 min to decide whether to give a snack or not. Zoot! don't be difficult today, please. ;)

9. Sue and Luci

Could be a late nadir? I hope he holds steady now...

10. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Late nadir, maybe - 46 at +9.75. Darn. Just gave him some MC (15%). I should have fed him earlier. So I guess I need to go to .25 this PM instead of tomorrow AM.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

QUESTION: Am I right that he should have a reduction this PM per "reduction *earned* after a single drop below 50 mg/dL and following TR"? I will assume so unless I hear otherwise.

12. Sue and Luci

Yes he’s earned a reduction by going under 50 today.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  13. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks. I didn't know if you were monitoring the site or if I needed a "moderator". I sometimes get confused by who handles answering questions.o_O

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Said this in another thread, over in Feline Health.
    "The moderators are for the entire website. We are not specific to any one particular board. We're more problem solvers if there are issues with a post that needs to be moved, dealing with spam, helping to get an exchange between members resolved, etc. As it turns out, the current moderators also have been on the FDMB site for a long time." Sienne and Gabby have been a member for over 10 years.

People that respond and answer questions, do so to the best of their experience and knowledge. Sue and Luci is pretty good at it. ;) And they respond as their own personal time and life commitments permit.

People have different experience with different insulins. They tend to help with those insulins they are most familiar with. Most people here on this forum can help you through a low numbers incident, or with general knowledge. Some people are only comfortable with giving supportive, lift your spirits type help. That help is just as important as those people that know the dosing protocols very well.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks for that. I appreciate the expertise and support from @Sue and Luci and the time answering me. There are many others that I also trust and view as well-versed. You post helps be better understand how the board works, and I appreciate that!

16. Sue and Luci

I understand...I think it finally clicked for me when someone stated this is a 'forum'....so it's like there are conversations, offering opinions and views and personal experience. In some cases there it's very difficult to see the exact right/wrong thing to do - we all try to follow the dosing methods as best we can - but no one is perfect - hopefully kindness and understanding prevail at all times - and we all try to pitch in and help the newer members - in hope you too one day will be able to take some time from your day and lend a hand, a guiding word or help to a new member too.

I know it's confusing and overwhelming - I remember it all too well. I felt like crying for months after finding out Luci's diagnosis and then trying to figure out what the heck was going on with this 'forum'. Different people would give different answers and then I felt more confused and stressed than ever! But if you take everyone's advice, weigh it and then review what you know your dosing protocol says AND your continuing knowledge of your cat (no one knows him better than you!)...and things will start to fall into place.

It's always better to err on the side of caution - your boy has been doing some nice surfing lately and I'd listen up to that drop today below 50. He's trying to tell you that he doesn't need quite as much help from his mama as he did. We're all hoping that he's on the road to remission - and when he gives you that signal -of going into the limes - it's time to heed that signal and reduce the dose. Of course, every cat is different and then the confusion starts - Luci's been at this for a long long time and she earns a reduction when she goes under 50 THREE times or under 40 one time...because she hasn't held reductions well - this week is a case in point - she earned a reduction last Saturday and hit the greens a couple of times...and then she sputtered out and her numbers gradually just kept increasing - and so we're back up to 1 unit...

I hope this helps...keep doing what you're doing for your little cutie pie Zoot! And let's hope he's serious about this lagoon thing of his - and keeps on going down and down that dosing ladder!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  17. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

It absolutely helps! And of course at that critical .25 (and I think I got the dose measured right on!) when I went to poke him it went into the skin but not through :-(. I think it will be fine, it was def NOT a fur shot, so it went somewhere :). I hope he has a good night tonight!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Well look at that...kind of him to give the signal!

Taking reductions without dipping below 50 was hard for me.

going down the dosing ladder is more emotional than going up.

Cinnie Cole and Sue and Luci like this.
  19. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

It is! He is such a helper :)

Sue and Luci likes this.