? 3.8 Rufus AMPS 81, +1 88, +2 93, +4 160, +6 109, +8 126, +10 126 PMPS 192*, + 2 253(AT2)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

lower then last few days. I don't know whether to shoot or not. I will be home all day, but this is low and be always goes lower in am

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Since you have shot this low before, and since you'll be home all day, I'd be inclined to shoot as long as you've got the supplies to keep close tabs (I know you just got a bunch of strips). And, of course, this number does mean Rufus has earned another reducie - you'd be shooting .5U!

3. Sean & Rufus

But he only ate half his food...still think should shoot?

4. Amy&TrixieCat

It really is up to you - you have to do what you are comfortable with. If you are more comfortable skipping, then that is fine.

5. Sean & Rufus

Ok @Amy&TrixieCat , you talked me into it. Shot .5u and gave him a little deli ham. I'll keep an eye on him :)

Oh and lots of strips! About 450 of them!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

It's so weird shooting 6u and now .5 just a little tap on the plunger and you're all done!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  7. Amy&TrixieCat

Yup, it is a big GOOD change for Rufus. I'd get a +1 to see what he's thinking about. Keep it safe, Rufus!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Sean & Rufus

9. Amy&TrixieCat

Very nice!

10. Sean & Rufus

I wonder if it'll continue to rise...last night got higher after gabapentin dose. Wondering what effect that has on his bg.

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you shot! Looks like a new cycle so far.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  12. Sean & Rufus

+2 93. Hopefully will level out soon, but not a horrible rise.

13. Sean & Rufus

+4 160 wt heck!

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Wrong way, Rufus? Any kibble or treats on the scene?

15. Sean & Rufus

Well he had 2 treats, and that small piece of ham. I did have a sheriff stop by, maybe he got a little spooked. But he didn't even seem to care. The only other thing is the gabapentin. LAst night he went higher too, so I'm wondering about that.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Could be a combo of all those....hopefully he's not reconsidering the bounc thing!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  17. Sean & Rufus

Yeah, not sure what is going on. He's more involved today, but will not really eat. I think he may be constipated. I'm trying to give him miralax but he won't eat the food :(

I'm going to test again in an hour. The blood I got for his last test was really small, but it did give me a reading so not sure if that would have been an issue.

18. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I don't have the same meter as you, although I did use the AT early on, but FWIW I found that too small a drop of blood usually gives me a lower than accurate number as opposed to a higher one.

Come on down a little, Rufus! :cat:

19. Sean & Rufus

UGH! don't say that! I'm on to his 4th food now for lunch. Hopefully he eats it. Gonna test aging in about 15 mins.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  20. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sorry! :facepalm: Your meter could be the opposite, you never know!

21. Sean & Rufus

+6 109. Better, and he ate some food about an hour ago. Maybe was a bad test then?

22. Sean & Rufus

Think I'll just test every 2 hours today and fill in some blanks. Hopefully the meds wont change the data.

23. Amy&TrixieCat

It could have been a bad test...not enough blood can make a meter do wonky things in either direction. Whenever you get a number that jumps out at you as odd, you can always do another test right away to double-check it.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  24. Sean & Rufus

I feel so bad, lately seems at minimum 10 pokes to get blood. And that's after warming his ears!

25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice job shooting this AM. The +4 does look a bit out of place with the other numbers. With meter -20 % variance it would be more like 128. Or like you said, the treats ( guess they have some higher carbs in them) or the spooking from the sheriff.

26. Sean & Rufus

OK, hasn't really been the topic today, but I've been talking about it a lot recently. Nausea. I *think* I might know what is going on. Hopefully. Constipation. He used to go every day, then turned into every other day, sometimes 3 day. He was drinking tons of water with being in high numbers and unregulated. I noticed for some reason pepcid seemed to back him up. Only had to give miralax a few times. Now I'm thinking about his habit lately. Seems every other day, but they haven't been "normal" size, and the last normal one was found in the bay window from over night and was pretty hard. He went yesterday after 2 days and only about 1.5" long, but wasn't too hard. But there should be more of it. With him being on the pepcid and onda last week, now this week it's onda and cerenia in combination of not drinking as much water as before (but still plenty), wonder if the nausea and the not wanting to eat is because of that?! I tried putting miralax in his foods this am and lunch but he's not eating it all and haven't seen him go to the bathroom.

27. Sean & Rufus

It probably was bad test, but the only thing is the numbers were rising so maybe they were correct.

28. Amy&TrixieCat

Constipation definitely can cause nausea. With Trix, I used to syringe her mirilax with a small oral syringe. I mixed her dose with a syringeful of water in a teacup, sucked it up in to the syringe and then squirted it in her mouth. That way I knew she was actually getting all of it. It can take several days for mirilax to kick in, and some kitties need it for maintenance.

Some folks also use pumpkin and/or squash, but with Rufus's eating and allergy issues, I'm not sure that would be a great way to go or not.

29. Sean & Rufus

That's a great idea. I could mix it with water and syringe it! I did read where Wendy said that where Neko had inflammation in the GI, that it's caused constipation issues I believe. Rufus may have inflammation in same area. That's a good ? for the internist.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  30. Bobbie And Bubba

Also, mix as much water into his food each meal as he will tolerate. Bubba is not a water drinker (except right before he was DX which tipped me off that something was wrong) Also, have you tried a tsp of pumpkin mixed into the food twice a day? I did that for a long time. Now I give him Slippery Elm Bark powder in his +3 meals for the inflammation. It has helped a lot but while I was away he suffered some with constipation probably due to stress. He also had one episode of diarrhea right before we returned which indicates IBD and stress brings that on. So, the SEB , 1/4 tsp twice a day helps his bowel issues and I give him a 1/2 tbsp. of George's Aloe Vera Juice in his AMBG and PMBG meals as well. The AVJ also helps to heal the digestive tract.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  31. Sean & Rufus

He used to be a big water drinker, and probably does drink more then a normal cat. His wet food is mixed 1 can food and half can of water too. It seems the young again digestion support firms up his stool. I'm going to take that out for a while. I did but some slippery elm and tried it 2 times. He didn't eat the food it was in :( It's weird that IBD usually causes diareaha but with Rufus he doens't have that symptom.

32. Bobbie And Bubba

It's can be either way vacillating with diarrhea and constipation.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  33. Sean & Rufus

See, I always thought cat with diabetes eat at ton. Rufus was opposite. IBD was diarrhea, Rufus is opposite.

34. Sean & Rufus

So PMPS is 192. And I know why. Rufus was given some Royal Canin fiber something and some Royal Canin sensetive stomach? dry food from the vet for his GI and constipation issues. I don't think we can do that again. Which brings up the question, not sure there is an answer. If you could feed your cat a food that is better for him and that he likes but you'd need 1 (or 2) units of insulin x2 daily, or you feed him a lower quality food that is not the best for him but you only need .5 u or possible remission chances, which would you pick?

35. Sean & Rufus

Help! +2 253?! Is this a bounce? Too small dose? He hasn't eaten too much today, he did have some higher carb food from vet for GI issues at 4 or 4:30. Why is he so high now? I don't think it was a fur shot tonight...

36. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd guess bounce. He might have gone lower then been on his way up to that 81 this morning.

To answer your other question, I would feed a food they would eat. You can always give more insulin if needed. Not all cats go into remission and it's not the worst thing to be on insulin. Some other conditions can create a poor quality of life. QOL was to me the important factor. If you can find a wet food he likes, and his body can handle, even if it's slightly higher carb, that might be ideal.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  37. Sean & Rufus

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. I have to get him of fancy feast and need something else. There is a food he likes but it is 15% carbs i think.

I kind of think it's a bounce, but wonder about the high carb food from 5 hours ago. That is a long time to stay in system, but could be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.