4/1 Vyk +14.5 182 vet update - looking good / Purrdy +17 149 AMPS 149 +2 99 +3 77

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vyktors Mum, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Purrdy out of control condo

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) I hadn't thought of checking with QLD about the IAA test good plan! Whatever test the vet is running for cushings isn't back yet. Whatever it is it won't be definitive. I'm really not sure what she's checking because she just took one lot of blood, no injections of anything in between and a second sample o_O He does have several cushings symptoms - pot belly, easy bruising, change in fur colour, excessive drinking and peeing although his diabetes is well controlled and fur loss that is now symmetrical down each side of his back. However, the fact that his diabetes is so well controlled (albeit on a high dose) tends to point away from cushings I think - he is our mystery boy!

Patting myself on the back for coming up with last nights subsequently approved plan of action, it's nice to feel I've got somewhat of a grip on the situation - nicer still to get confirmation from the experts in this area.

@Sandy and Black Kitty - re: release of the insulin by the antibodies. I am concerned that my thoughts last night on letting mum sleep after the same amount of carbs and syrup that he'd had earlier in the cycle that had held him for 2 hours wasn't safe. His usual pattern has been to drop early and then get on his surfboard by around +4/+5 so my thinking was that the carbs/honey should hold him up at least as long as it had earlier. Was it safe to assume that the carbs/honey would hold him for at least as long later in the cycle as it had earlier in the cycle or can the antibodies throw everything into chaos and perhaps start throwing more insulin out later in the cycle?

I will be off to the vet with Vyktor in about 20 mins. So hard not to feed a hungry cat - especially one that's so difficult to get food into. I will be staying at the vet throughout and taking the ipad so will update later.

@Tricia & Cinco & Harvey - you really don't want Cinco to wait for Vyktor to have his turn, it could be a while!

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good vetty vines for Vyktor. I hope Purrdy surfs safely for your mom today.

sarahtee likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I found with Neko I could rely on carbs later in the cycle to keep her safe. Not to say that she didn't occasionally surprise me, cause she's a late nadir cat and varies a lot when that nadir will be.

Sending tons of good vetty vines for Vyktor. :bighug:

4. sarahtee

sarahtee Member

Vines that all goes well with Vyktor today, and Purrdy surfs safely today too.

5. Vyktors Mum

We have taken the bloods and are now waiting on the results to see if we proceed with the dental etc. Vyktor is in fine form cursing and screaming at everybody and taking a swipe at the vet at every opportunity.

ETA they've just bought a bag of fluids in so it looks like we're going ahead. Expecting vet shortly.

ETA 2: Bloods showed high urea but not creatine o_O we're not sure what to make of this - fortunately I'll have Marje to ask later :)

I have administered his preop injection (much easier for everyone if I do it!) and it must be working because he's letting me pet him without screeching now. We're just waiting for another kitty's dental to finish then it will be Vyktor's turn.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sending more good vines Vyktor's way for a safe, successful procedure and quick recovery. How nice that they let you participate so much - sounds like you have a good team, too.

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

The high urea (BUN) but not elevated cr is something I am experiencing with Rosie AND experienced for three years with my little dog. His cr went back and forth between just a tad below and just a tad above normal but his BUN was regularly elevated and beyond what would be expected just from high protein food, etc. He did start out with higher cr at diagnosis, however. Rosie also had mildly elevated cr and last time, it was normal while her BUN stayed up. I hope the dental goes well!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  8. Vyktors Mum

He's in, I stayed with him and helped with his induction. I've been doing a remarkable job of staying calm and even joked that he looked like he'd been taxidermied after his induction :woot:

I'm hanging around this time so let the nurses know if I wasn't inside I'd be out the front smoking if there was any news. Then I went out for a smoke and ten minutes later a nurse came out. I tell you I about had a heart attack because the only news I'd be getting that fast would be bad news! Turns out she was just going out to collect the mail :rolleyes:

I've now had a Valium to help with the wait :smuggrin:

I'll get a copy of the bloods before I go but if my photographicish memory serves me correctly his creatine levels weren't even at the upper end of normal, more about in the middle.

ETA just got a copy of the bloods creatine is at the higher end 179 where the range is 71-212. Guess my memory isn't firing on all four cylinders this morning! Bun/urea was 16.7 where the reference range is 5.7-12.9

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

((((((Serryn)))) (((((Vyktor)))))((((Purrdy))))
    Sending mega calming and healing vines for you and Vyktor!!! Sheesh, I quit smoking years ago, but you're making me crave one!! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: ...............Okay, I banished that thought.....Breathe, Serryn, Breathe!!!

10. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines for a full recovery for Vyktor, how stressful this all must be for you :bighug:
    Hope Purrdy has a calmer day than yesterday.

11. Wendy&Neko

Nail biting here too. Not sure I would want to see the induction. :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Raw fed kitties often have higher BUN than wet or dry food cats. Neko's BUN went up when she went on raw.

12. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

I wish I knew. Being there is no way to know, best to be cautious.

13. Vyktors Mum

The more involved I am the less stressed I feel. I went to the loo at one stage and spied on the op through a window - he looked so cute in his little booties. I would have stayed there but I didn't want to make the vet nervous.

Did the raw send Neko's BUN up enough so that it was outside the normal range or just higher for her?

Vet nurse has come out to report that they're done. Apparently he did really well. They have removed the intubation tube but all his other monitors are still attached and he's still asleep. I will be able to go and see him soon, although I'm wondering whether it might be better for him not to until he's ready to go. She said they did remove 'a few' teeth. Given that he only had three left I hope that means they're all gone and we never have to have another dental. I did ask the vet to take them all if it wasn't a bad idea.

They gave him a good brushing while he was under too so he should be looking pretty handsome.

I couldn't help breaking out into my happy dance when I got the news - much to the nurses amusement :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

14. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

*whew* glad he's through the dental and hopefully the remaining toofies are gone.

Did you have anyone take a video of you doing the happy dance? I'd like to see that please! :D

I'm off to bed but so glad Vyktor's through the worst of it now. I always like to hear descriptions of him keeping the vet in line. hehehe Go Vyk!:rolleyes:

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

BUN can also be high due to dehydration. When you get the other labs, please tag me so I can look through them for you.

I'm glad he did so Well! What a trooper he is!!!

16. Wendy&Neko

Going to raw doubled her BUN, but she was still in range until last year.

Sigh of relief that he's done!

17. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

That is great news Serryn that Vyktor came through the dental well and I also like to read about him telling the vet and nurses who is boss. You must be so relieved and happy and yes I agree that with only three teeth left remove them all if some have issues and avoid another dental as you said. :bighug::bighug:

18. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Great news he is through his dental, and even better that he has got a good brushing and is looking handsome.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I get you on the being involved making you calmer, I'm the same.

19. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Awww, dentals are so hard on these sweet kitties. Speedy recovery vines for Vyktor!

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Vyktor's dental went well. Nice that they let you be involved.

21. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

So glad Vyktor did well with his surgery. Sending healing vines to him and hugs to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I hope his mouth feels much better after it heals.

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

So glad that the dental went well and it is done and over. Speedy recovery and good luck with all the BW results.:bighug:

23. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I'm glad all went well with the dental!! Prayers for a super-speedy recovery...

24. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Glad everything worked out great! Will be looking for your next update and hope he continues feeling better.

25. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope all is going well after the dental. Hugs to you :bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

So pleased the dental went well. You couldn't pay me to stay for the induction or any other part of a surgical procedure!

The level of BUN elevation from diet (raw, high protein, etc) seems to be a subject of some debate among vets or at least there is not a consensus level that we heard about! For various reasons. we had our dog Emmett at three different vets. Each one looked at his CR vs BUN and had a different opinion about why they might be so mismatched. All seemed to agree that it should not be terribly high or quite so consistently so if it were diet or dehydration related. We ended up treating Emmett largely by a diet that was lower in phosphorus thus somewhat lower in protein than it had been (home cooked) but we never got an answer to the why of it all. When Rosie presented with elevated CR and BUN, the ranges seemed to match one another. We switched her diet to be a little lower protein by mixing in a fair number of FF flavors that were around 15% carbs. Her next bloodwork her BUN was about the same 58 (norm: 16-37), her CR was solidly normal 1.3 (norm: 0.9-2.5) BUT she was diabetic. And here we are now. Her Phosphorus has always been normal, as was Emmett's! She's due this month for new blood work but it nearly drove me crazy with Emmett trying to figure it out. And we never did. I hope you can get some answers. Meanwhile, I hope you are having a much needed relax-n-rest. :)

27. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Woohoo! So glad to hear Vyktor's dental went well. I'm sure he will look extra handsome from his brushing.
    Liz

28. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yo Vyktor, Don't forget to put those toofies under your pillow tonight. The toof fairy will bring you something nice, I'm sure. Glad your dental went well and that you showed them who's boss! Now for a sip of the Ausssie Hootch, yes?
    Your pal,
    Rusty

Hi Serryn, Wow, what a day! We are so glad that Vyktor came through the dental without problems and hope that he is doing well today without those bothersome teeth. Serryn, you were magnificent through it all:woot::cool::joyful:.

Hugs, scritches,
    Ella & Rusty
    p.s. nice numbers for Purrdy today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.