4/12 Rumpy AMPS 166 @ 13.2, NEWLY Home Testing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MrRumps, Apr 12, 2019.

1. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-first-home-test-and-70-mg-dl.213123/

Previous thread from last nights first home test and the struggle of trying to get him to eat to raise his sugars. I have been taking a reading every two hours. Rumpy is trembling when I go to take another test. Any suggestions to make him more comfortable? He hasn't ate any of the Nutrish higher carb wet food I got him today. He seems to be nibbling on dry food and Tiki Cat Chicken the most. I am trying to transition him away from dry food completely, but that's what he ate prior to diagnosis. (he hates pate)

His last reading at +4 was 123 and I have been able to get him to play and he nibbled on more dry food after wards. I have wet food down he just won't eat it.

Performed a ketone urine test about 10 minutes ago and it looked negative. I will attach a photo.

Vet dosed him at 1.5 units, but I only gave .75 this morning. When can I be safe and stop testing him to give him a break and when should I pick up the food?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Could you get a +5? If he's still pretty much surfing, you could then take a break (and a nap) for a few hours.

Preferably we don't want him eating after +10

MrRumps likes this.
  3. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

This would be +6, but yes I am about to take the reading.

4. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Attached Files:

5. Chris & China (GA)

Looks like a negative ketone test to me!! That's great!! Let's keep them there Rumpy!!

MrRumps likes this.
  6. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

+6 was 133

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Take a nap!!....maybe grab a +11 so we have some time to discuss what to shoot at PMPS

No food after +10

MrRumps likes this.
  8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again Shelly
    Hope you have recovered!
    How is Rumpy’s appetite today?

9. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I did the reading 20 mins earlier, but it was 160. He just had diarrhea and it is feeding time. Any recommendations on type of food and insulin dosage? I did .75 this morning.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi again Shelly
    Hope you have recovered!
    How is Rumpy’s appetite today?

11. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hello! I have not recovered haha, no sleep yet. Rumpy has been refusing most wet food and only nibbling on it. He is eating the dry food the most and i've put his numbers in the spreadsheet. It's feeding time and insulin in an hour.

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Can you test again overnight if necessary?
    Plenty of strips?
    Any food he will eat at this point is fine. Even the dry. The main thing is he must eat. If you can do all the above I would give 0.75 units again.
    Did you get any pumpkin?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. I thought it was time for insulin now. See what he is in an hour. If he will only eat dry at this point that’s fine. We need to get him better from the DKA and eating is really important. Did you try another cerenia? I saw he spat out the other.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  14. Chris & China (GA)

I think the .75 is a good place to start for now

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi @Chris & China (GA)
    We had a big pyjama party last night. Went on all night!
    Shelly and Rumpy were awesome!

16. Chris & China (GA)

I saw!! First thing I did was come check up on the overnight hijinks!

And yes, Shelly did great and Rumpy was a very good kitty!!

Let's hope we don't repeat it tonight though. I'm sure Shelly would love to reacquaint herself with her bed!

17. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Are you wanting me to test him every hour? Or just midway through the cycle, at 6+. He immediately ate the dry food once I put it down, he's still eating it. I had to give the insulin to him later this morning so it pushed his time back an hour to take insulin.

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I hope for their sake as well it’s quiet.
    I’m out for a few hours tonight, my time, but will check before and after.

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would start out with a +1 and +2 and see what it is. I think you may need to test again before +6 but if he’s eating he may not drop much. Let’s see what the +1 and +2 is. Give Rumpy a big pat from his auntie Bron

MrRumps likes this.
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You can get back to the previous shot times if you would rather by going back 15 minutes each 12 hours or 30 minutes in each 24 hours. Does that make sense?

21. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

thank you so much!! :))

22. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yes, that makes sense. I am a little confused about the PMPS reading. Would that be the one I took at +10.8 or do I need to take another one right before I shoot? I hope not. His ears are getting red.

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The PMPS is the one that is at +12 just before the sho
    Yes sorry you need to take one +12

24. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

It is okay that he has already ate or was I supposed to give food later? I'm sorry, I'm trying to remember everything.

25. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Do I need to test rumpy again before giving him the insulin at +12 or am I okay skipping that test and using the previous 10.8 reading for . 75?
    I am also getting confused about the order and timing of testing, feeding, and shooting.

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Actually you really need to withhold the food for the 2 hours before the test at shot time so the test isn’t food influenced but as you have fed it can’t be helped. We have a +10 at least. But I would still get a +12.
    You might like to get some neosporin ointment pain relief for his ears. That helps

27. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Sorry to keep you on here but I was told by my Vet we should give him food first, then insulin right after he eats. Are you saying we should test first at +12, give insulin (unsure of when to do this), then feed him (how long after giving insulin)?

28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No. Test, feed then give insulin after food eaten. In that order always. All in about 10 or 15 minutes

MrRumps likes this.
  29. Chris & China (GA)

You want to Test/Feed/Shoot

You test to make sure they're high enough for insulin at all (and this Pre-shot test should be without the influence of food for the prior 2 hours)…...then you Feed to make sure they're at least willing to eat...and then shoot...all within usually 5-10 minutes

MrRumps and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  30. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Wow oh my gosh. My vet told me I had about an hour window if he wasn't finishing his food to give insulin. And it finally clicked for me. I just fed him sooner than I should have because of the 2 hour window now that I am able to test. My vet advised against testing so I'm still learning how it all works.

+12 was 175 and .75 U was given

31. Chris & China (GA)

One of the nice things about Lantus is that you've usually got a little time to get kitty to eat. The shot doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours, so as long as they're not sick and they're willing to eat, you have 2-3 hours to get them to nibble a "whole" meal.

MrRumps likes this.
  32. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Rumpy has not ate a full meal in two days. I think this is due to his stomach being upset. Should I give cerenia now?

33. Chris & China (GA)

How does he act when you put food down? Does he sniff at it like he wants to eat but then walks away, licking his lips?

Lip-licking is a sign of nausea

34. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hmm I have not paid close enough attention to that. He is eating his Tiki Cat Chicken and his Dry food easily, but I've been trying to get him to eat the higher carb wet food I picked up today because it was recommended I get a 10-15% carb for him. He cries for food and is hungry, but walks away immediately like he did not like the smell of it. He has always been a picky eater.

My boyfriend and I are both so tired and did not sleep yet. Do we need to do +1 and +2 or can we do a +1.5?

Edit: he is currently eating a small bit of Tiki Cat Succulent Chicken 0% carbs

35. Chris & China (GA)

I think you could wait and do a +2

Glad he's eating!!

MrRumps likes this.
  36. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay! I will wait until +2. He just went back and nibbled on the chicken some more. What number should I be expecting at that +2 mark?

37. Chris & China (GA)

The +2 is a good test for most cats because it can almost predict what the rest of the cycle is going to be like.

If the +2 is about the same as the Pre-shot, it's usually a pretty normal cycle....gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up.

If the +2 is higher than the PS (by more than meter variance) it could signal the beginning of a bounce and those cycles it's usually OK to take a break in testing.

If the +2 is lower than the PS (by more than just variance) then it's important to get more tests in later because he may be going a lot lower. It's kind of like an "early warning" if that +2 is lower.

38. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay that is very helpful! Thank you.

39. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

+2 was 141! and he went to drink water after the test. He was sleeping next to me in the living room. Am I safe to sleep most the night or do I need to test again?

40. Chris & China (GA)

That's a little lower than I expected.....if it were my cat, I'd set an alarm and get a +4 or +5 especially since we don't have any data on Rumpy yet and go from there

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  41. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay, alarm is set for +4. I am still learning what is good/bad/need to watch numbers. at the +4 mark, is there a certain range/number to expect?

42. Chris & China (GA)

It's still so early in Rumpy's treatment that it's really hard to predict anything

But our "time to act" is if they drop below 50 (on a human meter) While I'm thinking about it, can you add the type of meter you're using to your signature?

At some point, you'll also need to decide which dosing method you want to do...Either Tight Regulation or Start Low, Go Slow (you can always change your mind later if one doesn't work for you)

The advice we give will be based somewhat on which dosing method you choose. They are explained further in the Sticky on Dosing Methods

43. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

If I understood correctly, we are following the start low, go slow 12/12 schedule.

44. Chris & China (GA)

Both methods shoot every 12 hours.

On Tight Regulation, you can increase the dose as often as every 3 days if the current dose isn't getting the results you're looking for and reductions aren't earned until they drop below 50. It's also important to be able to test a little more often. TR is the most effective method and gives the best chance at remission.

On Start Low, Go Slow, you only increase the dose after 7 days and reductions are earned if they drop below 90. You do Pre-cycle testing and at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle (since most cats go lower at night) and then after a week, do a complete curve (testing every 2 hours for 12 hours)

45. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I think for right now the start low, go slow is working best. I can wake up like I just did for a test in the middle of the night and am usually home mid day.

his reading is low :( +4.4 107

He just ate some of his chicken, but it is 0% carb. I have dry food down, any suggestions?

edit: @Bron and Sheba not sure if Chris and China are on right now.

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like he is going to drop down again this cycle which is not a bad thing but means you are going to have to test.
    I would let him eat the dry food if that is what he eats better. We need him to eat.
    How is his appetite?
    I would test again in 1 hour and see how he is going. You can go to sleep if you think you will wake up again with the alarm..
    I have to go out in about 3/4 hour for 4 hours.
    I would keep testing if he is going to continue to drop. Let him eat what he wants. If he starts to drop low put some honey into the food or if he won't eat that, you can rub it on his gums.
    So if he drop down near 50 I would give some honey and retest in 20 minutes. And keep doing that until he comes up higher.
    I'm just telling you this as I won't be here for 4 hours and I'm not sure who else will be around.
    But keep posting and updating the SS
    I will try and look in on my phone if I can.

MrRumps likes this.