? 4/14/18/Ravan/+2 300/+5 379/+8 405/pmps554/+4 460/+8 411

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sigh, looks like maybe a new bounce from yellows last night. :rolleyes: On the up side, the yellows are lasting longer.

3. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko
    Any thoughts on whether bg might yet come down in the next 3 days?
    He was in the upper yellows 3 times. Why would that cause another bounce?

He's back to eating mostly his raw meat diet. So his carbs are low.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Reason for edit: add
  4. Wendy&Neko

Predicting what cats will do can be a mugs game. :p Three more days on this dose, then re-evaluate it. Since you do a great job testing, I have a hunch he will need an increase. But I am always willing to let a cat prove me wrong. On the board, it's amazing how many times the threat of an increase brings down the numbers.

5. JoyBee&Ravan

@Tanya and Ducia
    @Tracy & Jones
    @Stacy & Asia

Could someone please explain the very high # tonight? His bg looked better before this last increase.

He's gone back to eating his raw meat diet ,hardly any FFeast, Low carbs!

A week ago he had a blue # Yellows ..... No Black #'s

This last increase Has caused 3 Black #'s more than ever. This doesn't feel right. Doesn't make sense!

I've seen the posts of cats steadily increasing doses. What if some cats need more time at the lower dose?

I freak out at the amount of Pharmaceuticals these small creatures are submitted to. How can their little bodies deal with such large amounts of chemicals?

I'm frightened!

6. Wendy&Neko

As I said before, he is bouncing because of the yellows. He is spending enough time in high numbers that he isn't used to yellows. It's called glucose toxicity. Sounds worse than it is, basically his body is used to high numbers and he will need increases to get over it. Remember that insulin is a hormone, not a drug. Often you don't see slight improvements with each increase. You just have to keep increasing until you get to a fitting dose. You test lots, hold the doses long enough for the depot to build and see what a dose is capable of, so you aren't missing any lows. You are doing all the right things. :bighug: The rest is up to Ravan.

I have been here six years, probably looked at hundreds of spreadsheets. What Ravan is doing looks very typical in the beginning of most cats diabetes journey. Neko's numbers got way worse ( over 600) when she finally got to a dose that was getting her to low blues. But, she was getting to low blues with that dose , so the insulin was starting to work. Those ugly blacks were a sign of progress. Did I worry? You betcha! But I listened to the experienced people at the time like Sienne, Jill and Marje, took a deep breath, and kept on doing what I was doing. Eventually we got there, in spite of the fact that Neko had two high dose conditions. Nothing Ravan is doing leads me to think he is near as complicated, just a normal cat recently diagnosed. The dosing methods we use here work. You will get there. :bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

A kitty needs as much insulin as he needs. The numbers will be your guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.