4/14 Rumpy PMPS 105 +1 111 +2 125 +4 155 (Recent DKA)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MrRumps, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Previous thread here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-13-rumpy.213189/

Giving 1U, he was crying from +10-+12 for food and is currently eating his Tiki Cat 0% chicken (still the only one he will eat besides dry food).

His diarrhea is better, he had a solid poop over night and will get a ketone test done again today.

Edit: he stopped eating the food within a couple of minutes.. Should I put dry food down? I know he will eat that but it is 17.5% carb

Edit +1 rumpy won't eat tiki cat now.. he ate some regular tuna in water I had. Any suggestions I am worried about him not eating.

Edit +2 mixed tuna and chicken - ate 10 mins before +2 test (picked around chicken)
    This is confusing for me because this was the food he was eating.
    Going to pick up Weruva and try this brand. Any suggestions for texturized food?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like his appetite is improving. And that’s good news too about the poop and negative ketones. Generally a very good report. :)
    I would get a + 2 and see what that is.
    I’m off to bed.

MrRumps likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would just encourage him to eat the low carb at the moment with that high AMPS. If he absolutely won’t eat the wet ongoing try breaking up some of the dry on top of the wet. Bottom line is he has to eat.
    Good luck

MrRumps likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Shelly & Tony, good morning. Just checking in, I have been reading every post on your threads. You are doing great, in spite of not much rest. Hugs and kisses to Rumpy. You guys are working so hard, and he's going to benefit so much. :cat:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Awh i appreciate you keeping up with us! We are so stressed, but trying to watch his patterns while we can. Thank you!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You are just starting this "marathon", but you are learning every step of the way. You have two excellent advisors. Bron and Chris are experienced, knowledgeable and I have every confidence in them. They have helped me, and so many others along the way. I love them both.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd like to see another test on Rumpy Shelly or Tony

That's a pretty good drop for +2 so I'd like to see if he's continuing to drop quickly or leveling off

8. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

We just did +5 and reading was 163 and took a ketone test 30-45 minutes before testing bgl and it was negative. He hasn't ate much at all. The only thing he would eat today was mostly tuna. We haven't given him any dry food, just tiki cat and human tuna in water (that's all we had). We are going to pick up more options from Weruva to try with him. He has been mostly sleeping under the bed and roaming periodically. He usually goes into my closet when he's low I think.. and he was in there right before the bgl test.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

YEAH!!! for negative ketones!!!

Good luck with the food hunt.....I was so lucky that China loved her Fancy Feast. I feel so sorry for those of you that have cats that are so picky!!

10. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Is that drop bad? It seems like a scary number and I’m afraid he’s feeling “low”

He has always been picky! Even with dry food haha

11. Chris & China (GA)

No, 163 isn't a scary number at all, but he is still falling......I'd plan on getting a +8 and then hopefully you can take a break in testing.

Our ultimate goal is for him to spend as much time as possible between 50-120 which allows the pancreas to do some healing and hopefully start working right again!

12. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Not the number, but the drop from +2 and +5?
    He hasn’t ate much, was thinking I should put the dry food down so he would eat or would that be a bad idea?

13. Chris & China (GA)

That's a pretty good drop, but it's totally within what we'd expect for that period of time, especially if he's not eating much.

I'd try to keep the dry out of the picture.....can you maybe crush a little up and sprinkle it on his food and see if he'll eat more for you?

Has anybody ever suggested using Fortiflora with you? It's a probiotic (but we don't use it for that because it's not a good probiotic) but it's almost irresistible to most cats. It's the same powder they spray on kibble to make it so irresistible. I think China would eat a pile of sawdust if I sprinkled some FortiFlora on it first!

It's available at some vets, but it's also available online at places like Amazon, Ebay and Chewy

MrRumps likes this.
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you tried poaching a chicken breast in just a little water and seeing if he’ll eat that.? He might also drink the broth from it as well.

15. Chris & China (GA)

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Good morning Chris from sunny Australia!
    Just awake and trying to keep my eyes open!!

Chris & China (GA) and MrRumps like this.
  17. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay, I went and picked up freeze dried treats and Weruva wet food. Just did +8 and his # was 90
    I had to use FortiFlora when he was first diagnosed and now he hates it lol

But it looks like he ate more of the Tiki Cat chicken while we were gone.

18. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Good morning! It's evening time here in Texas and sunny :)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s a lovely +8 90.. I would give him a snack of low carb now and test in 1 hour again.
    I hope he likes the new foods you bought. Sheba liked the Weruva brand foods

20. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I put down some of his tiki cat mixed with a small bit of the asian fusion Weruva and he ate it all! Immediately! I'm so happy. He didn't like the treats though. Any suggestions on those?

21. Chris & China (GA)

Not all cats like the freeze dried treats...and in some, it's just a matter of time...it's a new texture and the texture can make a big difference in acceptance of a new food

You can also soak them in water to make them "soft".

China never did like any of the freeze dried treats like PureBites ….but she loved the Orijen Wild Boar treats....they were more "crumbly" than the PureBites

MrRumps likes this.
  22. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I will try Orijen!

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m so glad you have found something he seems to like!!
    Maybe try the treats again later when his appetite is better. Chris’s suggestion of soaking is worth trying.

24. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

He's sleeping in the far corner under my bed. But purrred when I pet him. I hope he eats those treats if I soak them. I want him to not be so afraid of testing.

25. Chris & China (GA)

the "reward" for testing doesn't necessarily have to be food....it just needs to be something he really enjoys.....some extra love and petting, a little brushing, some play with a string....anything he enjoys can be his "test reward"

We just concentrate on treats because most cats are pretty food motivated

MrRumps likes this.
  26. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I’ve played with him a few times afterwards but he usually runs and hides. I’ll try brushing maybe.. he likes that some times. Thanks for the suggestions :)

27. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

+9 was 85 and i gave him a good amount of tiki cat/weruva mix as a treat and he's eating still.

28. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

PMPS was 105.. unsure about dosing?

@Chris & China (GA)

29. Chris & China (GA)

Have you fed yet? If not, don't and test again in 20 minutes

30. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I'm sorry, he's already eating. And we are trying to spead our schedule up because of work times we won't be able to give when needed in the AMPS.

31. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Take the food up?
    Sorry, we won't be able to give insulin at the correct time tomorrow. We were trying to get it to 845 for shot which is now.

32. Chris & China (GA)

OK....you're going to have to make a tough decision.

He hasn't earned a reduction yet so I'd probably shoot the 1U dose BUT you may have a long night ahead of you. I suspect at some point he'll bounce higher, but there's no way to guarantee it.

Even if you shot a reduced dose, there's no guarantee he won't drop low on this cycle due to the depot being in play, but it may lesson the chances.

We don't want to skip due to his recent history with DKA....but you can feed him a higher carb food to keep his BG up if you need to.

I'd also get a +1 and +2 so you can intervene early if necessary

If he were my cat, I'd shoot the 1U dose and be prepared for a long night (but hope for the best!) making sure I had lots of high carb foods in the house.

33. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay, I shot 1 U. May I ask what led you to that decision. I though 105 was a decent number, but it's too low? Just trying to understand.
    We have the dry food that high in carbs. I think Weruva is less than 10%

34. Chris & China (GA)

105 is a good number....but if you skipped the shot tonight you can bet he'd be high by AMPS tomorrow and all your hard work would start over.

Remember, when you use Lantus, you're not shooting the number you see....you're shooting the number in 2-3 hours

We want them to "earn" their reductions in dose until they hopefully earn their way completely off of insulin so while it can be scary to shoot those lower Pre-shots, it's the key to getting them better

35. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Agh! I see okay. And having more data can show you trends for those low pre shots and give you a better "guess" of what to shoot? Or am I wrong haha.
    He ate slightly and is now sleeping in the bedroom (not under bed or closet at least).

They earn reductions by having a consistent curve?

36. Chris & China (GA)

They earn reductions by dropping below a certain number...at some point it will be important for you to read through the sticky at the top of the group on the two dosing methods, Tight Regulation and Start Low, Go Slow.

Depending on which one you choose will effect the advice we give you. I did TR with China so it's what I'm most experienced with.

On TR, they earn reductions by dropping below 50 on a human meter. On SLGS, it's below 90.

37. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I read through and felt the most comfortable with SLGS, but will read through again as I don't know if I fully grasped either dosing method.

38. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

@Chris & China (GA) Just checked Rumpy for his +1 and he is at 111. He purred the whole time and ate his food immediately, and is still eating. Again, thank you for the help! (From Tony T :) )

39. Chris & China (GA)

Great!! Glad he's doing so well Tony!!!

Happy to hear he's eating better too!

See you in an hour for the +2!

MrRumps likes this.
  40. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Hello, we just tested Rumpy and is doing very well. He was asleep for the hour until we tested him, he tested at 125. Any suggestions on testing for the remainder of the night? thanks.

41. Chris & China (GA)

Fantastic cycle so far!!

How about getting a +4.....by then we may be able to decide if you can call it a night yet.

If he'll eat for you, he can have a snack now too

42. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Yes! I'm so happy!!
    I had to play with him a little but he did start eating the rest of his tiki cat/weruva mix.

Edit: +2.5 just got a negative ketone test

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  43. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

+4 was 155 he has been sleeping in the bedroom and has not ate more, but I think today was the most he has eaten so far

44. Chris & China (GA)

OK....that's good!!

I think you can probably go ahead and get some sleep....if someone happens to get up in the middle of the night, it's great to grab another test, but I don't think it's necessary for Rumpy

AliceMeowliss (GA) and MrRumps like this.
  45. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

In the morning, is there a gauge or range I should be looking for to dose 1U again? Thank you for all of your help today! Things have went a lot smoother and believe we are getting the hang of it. You all have brought us peace of mind knowing you are there for help. Rumpy loves you!

46. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats Rumpy! And parents. :D

47. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I hope that you and sweet Alice are able to get some rest as well. Thank you!

48. Chris & China (GA)

What's your ability to test tomorrow?

49. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Nope definitely not tonight, but that's why I feel you! I'm happy for you all. Rest for the ears and the weary. Goodnight. :)

50. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

AMPS, (could rush home for +1), +4, +5, +6, +7, +10, +11, PMPS

51. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Stay strong! Good luck <3

52. Chris & China (GA)

If you get a pre-shot under 150, I'd suggest stalling, but I know your schedule doesn't have much flexibility

If he's over 150, I'd go ahead and shoot the 1U...if he was under, you might want to give a little less just until we have a little more data on Rumpy

MrRumps likes this.
  53. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh......looks like I am too late for the party!
    Lovely cycle. If you wake during the night, I'd get a test but don't wake up especially.......I'll check back in periodically.

AliceMeowliss (GA) and MrRumps like this.
  54. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Got it. Thank you. I will post amps! Good night.

55. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Thank you for checking in! Should I not leave food down through the night?

56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, I would leave some food down so he can eat if he's hungry. Only issue is having get it up at +10. How do you feel about getting up at +10 to take up the food. You could test then too and at AMPS you would be able to see if the BSL is rising..
    That's where an auto feeder comes in handy. You can get them to open and close at the time you want.

57. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

I want him to eat so I’ll wake up and test at +10 and pick up food. It may give me comfort knowing where he is too. We have been wanting to get an auto feeder! Do you know one that’s good for wet food?

58. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I know there are a couple of good ones in the US that people use. I can't think of the name of it and as I live in Australia we have different ones here. Really any of the autofeeders can be used for wet food. Chris will be able to tell tyou the name of the best one. I used one all the time for Sheba and it was a godsend.
    Leave out food tonight that you know he will eat as it will encourage him to surf (stay steady in good numbers).. you mentioned earlier some of his low carb with some type Weruva on top.

59. MrRumps

MrRumps Member

Okay thank you!

Deciding not to test at +10. He was eating when we woke up to take food up and he’s just laying purring, roaming a little. Not crying for food.
    Just going to get +12 PMPS.. hope that’s ok