4/15/18/Ravan/amps423/+4 377/+8 383/pmps339/+7 377/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

3. JoyBee&Ravan

@Juliet

If you look at his SS he was in the blue & green a lot more on a lower dose. With this last increase, his glucose is the highest it's ever been.

Could his body be producing more insulin ? Causing the glucose to go up even higher?

I read that, " persistently high glucose with no discernible nadir is the Somogyi effect & it's advised to go back to a lower dose (1 unit 2 X a day) To start over"

The higher dose is having a "toxic" reaction ?

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

This is going on with Silver too and unfortunately I don't have an answer. I get frustrated when I see he was getting better numbers on a lower dose. Just keep following the protocol or method you chose (TR and SLGS) and you can't go too wrong.

When was your last curve? That will give you an idea if he is bouncing.

5. JoyBee&Ravan

@Juliet
    I test frequently I've done a curve a few times. It's been agreed, his naider is all over the place.

4 days since I did an increase on the dose so this doesn't look like a bounce.

Has anyone ever tried to go back to the lower dose?

Maybe some cats react differently to insulin. It's frightens me to just keep raising the dose when I saw him get a lot lower on the smaller dose.

I know I'm not experienced with all this like a lot of the people on this forum but I keep thinking maybe there are exceptions to the Rule?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. JoyBee&Ravan

@Juliet
    Is there a converter for Silver's SS It's difficult to follow?

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok. Bouncing can last longer than four days. Silver used to bounce for several days. Then hit a low and bounce all over again.

Which method are you following ?

Going back to a lower dose apparently never works so I have been told.

Re my ss - I am in Canada so we use mmoL. If you want to see the US numbers use go to the second tab on the ss.

Tagging some people to look in and advise you.

@carfurby @Tracey&Jones @Stacy & Asia @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

8. JoyBee&Ravan

@LizzieInTexas

I'm reading SSheets trying to understand some of the doses & bg's

How do you get a .375 or a .875 on the syringe? I find it difficult to get .25.

What method are you following that you can change doses so frequently?

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Many people use calipers for microdoses. She is following TR. have a good read of the stickies and it will all make more sense to you.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Repeating what I said yesterday, he is likely seeing some glucose toxicity. Here is the link to more info. The solution is more insulin, not less.

Yes many have tried going backwards but not with success. As long as you have started at a safe dose number and increased following our dosing methods knowing what the nadirs are, you have arrived at a particular dose safely and going back will not work. We have occasionally seen kitties started at way too high a dose, I remember one started at 10 units :eek:, and that's the only time going backwards help. Going backwards also risks ketones developing. Just keep following the dosing method. Tomorrow night you can increase again.

If you are worried about his higher numbers, and because you test frequently and feed all wet food, you could temporarily switch to following TR to increase faster until his numbers start coming down,

11. JoyBee&Ravan

@Juliet
    Using the SLGS But thought Ravan had a trace of Ketones ( I think it was due to the generic Ket stix I bought) Now I have the Bayer Ketostix & the reading is much clearer He's been neg for ketones.

And was advised to increase dose because of Trace.

12. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy& Neko

It still gets confusing. I've been looking at more SS and some people change the dose Up or down every few days.

Even on the TR method you're supposed to wait a few days ?

13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'd encourage you to read the yellow stickies on SLGS and TR. The answers to your questions are there for the most part.

14. Wendy&Neko

If the numbers are all above 200, you can increase after three days with TR. There are some special exceptions for cats with nadirs all over 300, that can increase even faster. Otherwise, doses should be held at least three days to let the depot build. Some cats take up to six cycles to show what a dose is capable of doing. After that amount of time, numbers aren't going to get much better. SLGS suggests holding longer, because not everyone can get in the required number of tests to follow TR, and we need that data to say it is safe to increase.

Because you do a good job testing, we knew it was safe to increase after four days when it was thought Ravan might have ketones.

15. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko

Thank you for the info. (not feeling so good for a few days now, stress caught up with me. Sorry to keep repeating the questions!

One more. Why do I have all the 911's in my alerts? I know not to put out a 911 unless it's an emergency.Where did they come from?

16. Wendy&Neko

Sorry, don't know about the 911. Some people miss use the 911 to get attention when it's not a medical emergency. But I am only getting notices on that once because I posted there.

I can totally relate to the stress meltdown. :bighug: Neko's numbers were crazy high and she was on way more insulin than any of the regularly posting cats. I found it essential to do things for me to get away from feline diabetes for a while. I am a rower, which can be physically exhausting and it is a good way to relieve stress. Long walks also helped. Some people do yoga. Or a creative craft of some kind. Make time for you. Set aside at least an hour each day away from Ravan. But also make fun time with him. Whether it be cuddle or play time. Whatever it takes to remember him as just a cat.

17. JoyBee&Ravan

Wendy&Neko

Your advice is most appreciated!

18. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko

I just got thru reading about how to withdraw insulin from the Lantus pen. My vet had showed me how the first time . He never mentioned not pushing the insulin back into the pen if you draw out too much,

Because it's so expensive, I've often squeezed back the small amount I drew out by mistake. Now I'm wondering if that has affected the Lantus?

(Started using Lantus on 1/31/18 I keep the pen in the fridge.)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  19. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

hi Joy, sorry I don’t know the answer to your question. I often do the same, but my cat is on such a large dose that I go through the pen much faster than you. How is Ravan feeling? Is he still acting agitated and starving, or has that stopped?

20. JoyBee&Ravan

@Sharon14

Since his glucose is still so High he's eating & drinking water a LOT! This afternoon he was very restless also.

Thanks for asking.

How come when i click on Colin's SS the readings are for 2017 ? 2018 are blank? ( is he still here?)

21. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Colin is fine, I’m just lazy...:rolleyes:

22. JoyBee&Ravan

Sharon14 likes this.
  23. Wendy&Neko

I've seen where people put insulin back in. I wouldn't do it anymore. Does the insulin look clear, any floaties? How much left in the pen? If you have another unused pen, you could always try a few shots with it to see if it makes any diffeternce. Though I doubt it.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.