4/16 Floyd AMPS Hi +2 513, +4 439, PMPS 225

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janine & Floyd (GA), Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janine & Floyd (GA)

Janine & Floyd (GA) Member

Yesterday

Bounced up again last night.:(

The good news is that I have gotten him to point of allowing AMPS testing after only a treat-sized amount of food. He's not happy about it, but it's working. :)

Increased to 6 u, let's where this takes us.

To Floyd: "Love you to the moon and back" is just an expression, NOT a suggestion!! :smuggrin:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh Floyd, those yellows aren't scary!!

Good luck with the dosecrease.

Janine & Floyd (GA) likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Glad you increased this morning. I hope it helps bring Floyd out of the rafters.

However, you've now reached 6 units without that breakthrough. This is the point at which we suggest people get their cats tested for high dose conditions, specifically acromegaly and IAA (insulin auto antibodies). One in four diabetic cats has acromegaly, so it's not uncommon. Cats with acromegaly can be on much lower doses (we've seen one on 2.25 u) but if a kitty safely gets to 6 units on low carb food, there's usually one of the high dose conditions present. My Neko had both acromegaly and IAA. Some kitties have just IAA, but that's less common. Sandy's Black Kitty was the first IAA only cat diagnosed here. We do see Cushings, but much less often.

Having a high dose condition could explain why Floyd seems so resistant to insulin. Feel free to ask questions. :bighug:

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good news on the testing being tolerated.

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Janine...at least you won’t have to convince your vet to please, please, pretty please test your kitty for high dose conditions. ;)

I hope the magic dose is just around the corner. :bighug:

6. Janine & Floyd (GA)

LOL. Yes, that is one advantage. And I get a pretty good deal on it, too. :)

Me too!!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You might think Stacy was joking, but you'd be surprised how many times we have to whine and beg for the tests. My vet thought you had to be over 10 units, but never got there. I asked her to humour me. And vets will often not do the IAA testing, in spite of being asked, but that can be an equally important piece of the puzzle. The good news is, we have several examples of well regulated cats with high dose conditions. It can be done. And even since I started here, there are some new advances in treatments.

8. Janine & Floyd (GA)

I know she is serious, I've seen enough posts in my short time here to that effect. Honestly, I'm not surprised! We are taught to consider insulin resistance at doses over 2 u/kg of lean body weight, so for Floyd that wouldn't be for another 2 units or so. Even then, we are taught to look for the more obvious cases of insulin resistance - UTI, dental disease, etc. Not a lot of education on acromegaly or IAA.

But, I am looking at the info here, and I will test him prior to that. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.