4/17/2018 Thomas Constantly high blood sugar

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara & Cats, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-421-2-446-6-331-amps-365-2-349-6-302.193951/

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions.

I have been increasing by .25 and I know we like this to avoid missing the correct dose but with the nadirs being above 300, following tight regulation, can I increase by .5 units? With every dose increase I try to get numbers during the day and at night. There is still a part of me that wonders if 3.0 units was the right dose because of seeing the numbers that we're blue and all the numbers I've seen since are terrible.

When he was first diagnosed, he was constantly hungry. That seemed to have went away when we switched to low carb foods and were on 2.5 units. He is back to being ravenous and begging for food.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

No. Keep going with the protocol you are following. Unfortunately this is a game of patience. Silver went through same phases. We saw lower numbers on lower dose. Insulin needs constantly change. It's a hormone and fluctuations are expected. Just keep doing what you're doing at 0.25 increases. Are you following SLGS or TR?

3. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

I'm following TR. In the section, increasing the dose, it does refer to .5 unit increases with nadirs above 300.
    I'll keep with the .25 changes because that will prevent me from wondering if we passed the right dose. I've always had trouble being patient. I'm really trying to be. I just want Thomas to feel better. I know these high numbers cannot be good for his body.

Juliet likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, increase by 0.5 units if following TR and only seeing nadirs above 300. You could either wait another three cycles at 4.25 units to make a total of six then increase to 4.75 or increase tomorrow to 4.5 and hold for six cycles. The latter option puts you back on the line.

Although you saw some blues on 3.0 units, they were high blues only, and didn't come back.

How is Thomas doing, feeling? 5 P's OK? (Playing, preening, purring, pooing, peeing). How is his appetite?

5. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

The5 P's, that's a good way of putting it.

Playing: no
    Preening: no
    Purring: yes, but not nearly as much as usual
    Pooing: yes
    Peeing: yes, lots

Thomas's appetite is great. He's so hungry that he pushes the other cats out of the food. He's been begging for food and very interested in what I'm eating. He normally has absolutely no interest in human food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.