4/17 Rosie AMPS 209 +3 123

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carol in Chicago, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Rosie went to see the vetty bean today. This was a "routine" follow-up from her last visit 3 months ago. Since she has lost some weight, we decided to run full blood work. That should come back by tomorrow. The only other notable finding at this point is constipation related. She needs an enema now based on the vet exam. I wish I could better determine the early warning signs as it seems I have been waiting too long. She had just made a deposit in the LB right before we let for the vet. Looks like she is going on her own, just not enough. :(

Her BG is very strongly influenced by constipation, so I could try to monitor that more closely for a trigger condition. Vet also suggested she just might need a routine clean out every 2 weeks or so... :eek:

I got a refresher lesson from the vet today re: how to monitor hydration status. I had been worried about Rose just in the last week or so because her skin doesn't rebound as it has in the past and I thought it was dehydration. Vet reminded me that in an older cat (just like people) skin is not as responsive. Better to monitor hydration via gums rebounding in color after pressure. Rose didn't mind this when he did it, but I am not so sure she will let me check her mouth in this way. Still, good lesson given the importance of hydration. He agreed her skin was slow to rebound, but confirmed no hydration problem via checking her gums. This is good because she gets SQ fluids every day and if she was dehydrated I don't know what else I could do.

Previous.

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Lactulose doesn't help the hydration issues either, it is a balancing act...

Carol in Chicago likes this.
  3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Yep - something is out of balance because I just got the update from the vet that her kidney values are worse. I don't have the full report to update the labs tab yet, but it looks like another infection and poor kidney function in general. :(:arghh::(

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Poor Rosie ... :(:bighug:

5. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Thanks Kris. I'm a bit of a mess right now. I was thinking her numbers would be better, but they are worse.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Any ideas from your vet about what to do? Phosphorus binder? This is so very hard and it makes us feel helpless.

7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Carol:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I’m sorry about the kidney values....and I can so relate on constipation:blackeye:
    I swear just as I think I have constipation issues under control they always sneak up on me. I’ve been focusing on Ming’s breathing issues and still keep track of Miralax dosage and yet here we are today and he’s constipated. :(
    It’s been since Friday, no poop, and I’m floored I lost track. I write everything down daily
    :banghead: It’s so hard juggling kitties every move so please know we’re all in the same boat doing the best we can.
    I do hope Rosie’s bloodwork comes back better than expected :bighug::bighug:

8. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

I already do fluids and binders. I will increase both. I'm going to free catch urine tomorrow for UA. Her WBC is high so we want to rule out another UTI.

I thought phosphorus would be better so I wasn't prepared to discuss dose with the vet. Poor clinical guy was not understanding my terms "pinch" and "dash". Hard enough to convert metric when you need kleenex. :blackeye::(

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.