? 4/17 Silver AMPS 209 PMPS 205 +16=239. Forgot to shoot did I do right?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! Nice yellow this am

Juliet likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Not a bad start for Silver. I hope you can get to work safely.

Juliet and Sandy and Black Kitty like this.
  4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok I finally got a new battery for the ketone meter and testing him . 5.6! Now I would normally be scared out of my wits but he is perfectly fine. Eating fine, peeing, pooping, purring, playing. No issues whatsoever. I am of course keeping a very watchful eye on him but he must be the kind of cat that can have ketones yet not DKA. @Sandy and Black Kitty your thoughts? He is definitely not lethargic, or lack of appetite. I am also doubting the meter - last time I checked and got a 4.5 on the reading - I immediately did another test with same drop of blood and it was 3.2. So I think I will keep watching for any signs but not rush to the emergency vet.

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

What planet was I on? I was so busy checking ketones I forgot his dose and I only noticed when I went to do bedtime test and the full syringe was still there! I didn't want him to have no insulin at all given the DKA incident so I gave 2u and hoping it will act like a fur shot. Didn't know what to do so I hope that won't backfire on me. He gets his am shot in 8 hrs. I don't believe he is on enough insulin right now so I don't believe an early shot will do harm.

Given no insulin - that's not a bad +16 tho.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

a delayed shot works like a decrease.
    @Wendy&Neko .... maybe you could explain the other option with the 18 hour thing to get back on schedule or if you think it's necessary or not.

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Changing shot time not possible with my schedule.

8. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Im glad he appears normal in appetite and activity. Keep a close eye on him and get a ketone test in the morning. If it’s above 4.7, which I believe your vet was OK with as long as he was eating and not lethargic or weak, a call bringing the vet up to speed would be prudent.

Evil ketones....be gone already!

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Juliet like this.
  9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well it was 5.6 and to top it off I forgot his shot til bedtime. Grrr. My vet told me not to check for ketones so calling to tell him I disregarded him won't go down well. Do ketone levels fluctuate with time of day? I seriously doubt the accuracy of these meters now. Ketones of 4 had him hospitalized. It's now 5.6 and he is fine.

10. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

I forgot that the vet didn’t think you should test for ketones ...

I don’t have personal experience with ketone meters- we used the old fashioned time honored ketostix method.

Even though you are not trusting the meter please continue to monitor and track ketones and watch for any sign that he is “off” in any way.

Juliet likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Shooting 8 hours after the last is too soon, except maybe if really high. Especially since you'd be shooting and running our the door. Hopefully with drivable roads. Without knowing his AMPS, I can't suggest what to do. Can you get a test as soon as you get up tomorrow and post for help?

12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

It's ok. He is high in the am and I have to test shoot and run out the door. No one responds on the board at the time I need to leave. Time difference and all. I also know that I'm shooting the number he is at after food which is considerably higher than preshot. He also only got a half dose at pmps because I knew he was not getting a full 12 hrs between shots. I did the same the day he came out the hospital to no adverse effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.