4/20/18 | Darwin - checking in :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tasha & Darwin, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Condo

Hello everyone!

Darwin continues to do well, and he continues to be a low rider with his BGs, yay! He is tolerating his Adequan like an absolute superstar as well! :cat:

We have the option to do stem cell therapy on him, and I think I am going to elect to do it. It's a fairly non-invasive procedure, but it can certainly help curb the progression of his arthritis as he gets older. I think, given his, age it's worth doing, and I will be able to "bank" the stem cells for future use, as needed. Apparently, it MAY also help with his seasonal asthma - this would be wonderful as he will NOT allow inhaled steroids, and obviously I want to avoid oral steroids. I'll be nervous to put him through it, but he's a tough guy!

Our civvie, Ben, is holding his own. We have his echocardiogram scheduled on April 30th, and are nervously awaiting what we find out. He seems to be doing well overall though.

Sending lots of vines to those kitties in need - especially keeping Mr. Rusty in our thoughts. :bighug:

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Glad to see a Darwin update! Stem cell therapy for arthritis in cats? I’ve never heard of such a thing! That’s great that it is something you can try and he’s young, so I hope it really, really helps him and he can age less painfully. Keep us in the loop how it goes! :bighug:

How long has he been on Adequan? Has it helped him any? I just started Asia on it several days ago, hopeful it will give her some more mobility.

Vetty vines for Ben on his heart echo, Asia is having hers on May 2nd, I know what you mean about being nervous what you’ll find out. :nailbiting: Hoping for nothing too remarkable for either of them! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Is it just me, or should all OTJ updates include photos? ;) I mean, Darwin is just so cute, how could you not want to show him off?

3. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

It's relatively new-ish. We do it a lot in dogs for arthritis and lots of other issues, but have only had a handful of kitties. The cats we've done for arthritis have been quite severe, and haven't really done anywhere near as well as the dogs, unfortunately. But the research suggests that starting early can make a big difference in cats!

He is on his third week (we're doing twice weekly for 4 weeks, then monthly). He seems to be doing well. He really wasn't having a lot of symptoms, but he definitely limped on his left front (that I saw) twice after getting up from napping. He has not done that since starting Adequan, so hoping it's helping! I really hope it helps Asia! I have heard lots of people have great success with it!

Oooh, sending loads of vines for Asia as well! It's hard just waiting for it - you sort of dread it, but also want to know! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Good point!! Here is is showing off his healthier physique! :cat:
    IMG_1098.JPG

4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Awwww! He's so cute! What a pose too (he obviously knows he's cute)! He looks really healthy and shiny and happy! :cat:

I hope the Adequan and the stem cells make a huge difference for him. It's great that he isn't limping anymore. Asia has only had 2 doses so far, nothing major yet, but she did scratch her ear once with her back paw, hasn't been able to reach and do that is ages! Very random aside, Adequan is made from cow trachea! How do they think up these things?

The echo yes, you want to know, but it's scary knowing it will probably be something. I don't think it's possible to be prepared to accept any of the diagnoses in advance, not for me anyway.

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  5. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

That was a gorgeous picture of Darwin.

I agree with Stacy.. OTJ updates should always include pictures. I'll be posting soon for Rex's one year anniversary! :eek::eek::woot::woot:

6. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:)Glad to hear Darwin is doing great! What a great pic!!! Too cute:cat:

Vetty vines for Ben's echo vibes.gif

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.