4.3 Rufus OTJ trial day 12 AMBG 129, +4 203, +6 219, +8 176, +10 139 PMBG 178, +2 132

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Well, this isn't looking good. Rufus ate some kibble at 5:15 and again at 9:30. BG at 11:30 was 203. Ate very little wet at 12:30. BG at 1 is 219. He's been sleeping all day, besides the eating. He was sneezing a bit. Did read there is a possiblity of Atopica raising BG. He had that at 10am. Grrrrrrrr.. ..

And he is barely eating any wet food at all. I've been trying, believe me. Not sure where to go from here :(

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaaaa?????? Rufus, this is no time for these kinds of games, settle back down!

I hope it is just a very temporary thing, maybe he's just a bit under the weather with his various issues today? Crossing fingers for the PMBG!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

This is not the way Rufus! Is there some sugar in those meds?

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  4. Sean & Rufus

He was high at the same +4 on Saturday, but not as high. I'm wondering if he comes down by PMBG that it is the Atopica.

5. Sean & Rufus

He was eating medium-high dry carb food, but hasn't raised his BG this much, and usually clears. I see some info (very little) that the Atopica can raise BG in some humans and some animals. Just have to cross my fingers the BG goes down. Maybe have to get that cypro to get him to eat wet food, or at least lower carb dry food.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would suspect the kibble, not the meds. His pancreas is newly healing and the kibble might be tiring out the beta cells. It's not uncommon for cats given dry food/higher carbs to fall out of remission.

7. Sean & Rufus

I have a feeling that you are right. I just CANNOT get him to eat wet anymore. I guess I'll try mixing the dry food with the zero carb dry and see if he'll eat that, or at least eat the wet then.

One thing that scares me is that the Atopica is an immune suppressant, so if he has a cold I'm sure that will raise the BG's too.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh, I am so sorry about that last BG number. Let's hope that he will come back down. :bighug:

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish it was easier to find some wet food that he likes. It is so hard when they have limitations and are picky on top of it.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I agree with Wendy - I'm inclined to think it's the kibble. He won't even eat the liquified wet anymore? Of course he's gotta eat, so unfortunately that may mean going back on the juice. That's one very important thing about diabetic remission - the diabetes isn't cured, but rather it's diet-controlled, and the reintroduction of higher carb food will most likely result in higher BGs. I do sympathize...I know what it's like to have incredibly, incredibly stubborn cats when it comes to food...

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  11. Sean & Rufus

He'll eat very very little of the liquifed food. I tried different foods and eveything, which I am not supposed to do. Last night gave him some sheba which he used to love and nothing. Just wondering why its so high today. He's been eating the dry since Thursday.

12. Amy&TrixieCat

It could be a combination of the Atopica and the dry, or it could be it took a few days for his pancreas to decide it wasn't happy with the dry.

13. Sean & Rufus

I am a little confused. So today he is too high obviously, but what if he drops back into normal numbers later tonight. No real worries? Just find a better solution for dry food? Or should I be worried about getting to 219? At what point would I need to start insulin again?

14. Amy&TrixieCat

I think we have to wait and see what happens - I'm not sure what time frame to specify just yet myself, but maybe others will have some ideas. But obviously these numbers are attention-grabbing.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  15. Sean & Rufus

16. Sean & Rufus

So, it's either great or not great that I did a (sort of) curve today. AMBG and (probably) PMBG would be terrefic on the OTJ trial. Numbers in between, not great. If I would have not been home to do the curve I would not have seen these numbers.

17. Sean & Rufus

Ok, well he's back to 178. He ate some different wet food tonight after some persuasion, so that's good. Crossing fingers for tomorrow.

18. Sean & Rufus

+2 132. He's been sleepy and out of it all day. Not really talking or hanging out. Wonder if something else is up.

19. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I was using freeze dried toppers on wet food for awhile. I was using the whole life freeze dried chicken treats and just crumbling on top. I think I recall reading that you can sprinkle some parmesian cheese on food as well to entice them to eat.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  20. Sean & Rufus

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the cheese. I'll give that a try. He did eat about .75 of his breakfast today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.