? 4/4 - Frosty - someone please help me interpret his curve?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t understand this cat at all. It seems the more insulin I give, the higher his sugars are. And they’re lowest at meal times, what the?! This goes against everything i know about insulin from being a PA.

Since we have been testing so much, we are back to TR right now.

And by the way, NO CHANCE of using an autofeeder - he broke into 2 within hours. He’s too smart and food motivated for those things. I tried the petsafe and petwant brands, flimsy little suckers!

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Frosty needs more juice, TR is the way to go if you can monitor. Is Frosty in any sort of pain that could cause these higher numbers?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I agree with Bronx's dad so I'm glad to see you increased tonight. I followed TR and Merry got up to 5u before he started to earn reductions. It takes time.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Is there any chance there's a UTI or that Frosty's teeth need cleaning?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is your last post here for continuity. We include those links so people can quickly go back and see the history.

Have you missed entering some data in the spreadsheet? I see no PMPS tests for the 1st and 2nd. As it looked like Frosty was breaking his bounce during the day of the 1st, that PMPS test would have been really interesting. If you can't get PMPS tests, much less any day time data, TR might not be the best choice. With more frequent increases and lower reduction point of TR, comes a need for better, not necessarily more testing.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I wasn’t home to test him on the evening of Easter and the night after that we were at a concert. If my ss is blank then the data isn’t available. However I think I have plenty of data to show that he’s consistently high based on daytime and night time numbers . I can’t test every day during the day because i work full time (9.5 hours per day +1 hour commute each way) but my bf happened to be off sporadically during the last few weeks so when he’s home he tests. I haven’t posted in a while so couldn’t find my last post. I don’t want to wait til Saturday to increase his dose when it’s obvious he needs more.

There is nothing else medically wrong with Frosty.

7. Wendy&Neko

Just curious, it looks like someone was home to give his insulin those two nights. Maybe that person could be trained to test? We strongly recommend you always test before shooting. One day Frosty will surprise you at shot time. You don't want to shoot if it's not safe to do so.

8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

No, unfortunately they cannot be trained. This person can’t even draw the insulin. It was hard enough to teach her to shoot. I’m working with what I’ve got.

Given that Lantus is a depot insulin, and how high Frosty’s sugars consistently been, I really wasn’t worried about him going too low, especially at pre shot time. I think there may have been once or twice when i reduced his dose due to his pre shot number, and that was way in the beginning. He really hasn’t gone low on Lantus at all, which is how it’s technically meant to work. Right now we are hitting so much resistance though, and hiscurve is upside down. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  9. Wendy&Neko

That's unfortunate. We've had some people train their children, but they do have to have an aptitude for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.