? 4/5 Ravan/SLGS/Central Time/amps376 /374+3/308+6/pmps345/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Ravan seems to be stuck in nearly the same readings.

He missed a shot 4 days ago & had a High reading (517) two nites ago. Could he be still getting adjusted to the missed shot?

Should I wait or increase his dose?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Reason for edit: add
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

When the depot gets interrupted by a missed shot it does have to refill. If you’re following SLGS then hold the dose for a week. You test enough to follow TR. have you considered it? You can increase quicker with it

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Good Morning, JoyBee,
    there are several things that could cause him to go high: the FS, possible a bounce from low Yellow number he got a few cycles ago and from the Lantus depot being not stabilized yet.

Today's AM is his 7th cycle - 3.5 day on the Fat 1U dose. If you follow SLGL then you need to hold the dose for 7 days = 14 cycles to be sure that the depot has settled down.

A a day ago you posted that he was eating Trader Joe's Chicken w/ Turkey and Rice - is it correct? If yes - it is 12% carbs per food chart I posted earlier and it can keep his numbers up for a few cycles.

If you TEST HIM FOR KETONES DAILY AND IT COMES BACK NEGATIVE + if he is eating good and behaves normal I'd recommend you to hold that 1 Fat unit dose a bit longer.

It is extremely tempting to increase when all you are getting is Pinks. But if there is no ketones in the picture I'd be inclined to hold the dose as per SLGL - you'll have good, clean start with the method and future dosing will be easier to make.

@Wendy&Neko , what do yo u think about the dose, Wendy?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to yesterday's post, for continuity. We include those so people can see what was said previosly.
    That's what I said yesterday and nothing has changed as long as you are following SLGS. Today, as long as you shot the same dose, is day 6 of 7. Hang on, almost there. Lantus will teach you patience. :bighug:

The depot should be filled by now and showing you what this dose can do. You have seen yellows and did see some blues the first day on this dose. Try not to overanalyze each cycle, but rather how the dose is doing in general. I know that learning to do that was really hard for me in the beginning.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  5. JoyBee&Ravan

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. JoyBee&Ravan

Hello Tanya and Ducia,

I'll follow the advice to wait for 14 cycles before increasing dose.

I tested for Ketones early yesterday = neg. Unless I catch Ravan going to the litter box it's difficult to get the Ketones tested.

2 days ago I think there was a trace of Ketones. ( I was looking in good light & it was difficult to determine if it was negative or a trace.)

I give him 100cc of Ringers each nite. Could that of flushed him out?

The Trader Joe's was a spoonful, one time. I had second thoughts about it so I haven't given it again.

He's basically been eating FFeast Classic Chicken. I occasionally give him a spoon of raw liver & today I was happy he ate a few bites of raw chicken.

I'd like to get him back on his raw meat diet.

7. JoyBee&Ravan

Hello Wendy and Neko,

Thank you for the advice. I don't mind going slow I just get worried the high #'s are hurting him?

8. JoyBee&Ravan

Has anyone heard more about Fancy Feast causing problems? I read that some people had trouble with Friskies . But someone also mentioned Fancy Feast?

Ravan went off his raw meat last year before the Diabetes. I've tried dozens of canned food but he walks away.

A few weeks ago I was desperate to get him to eat & was surprised he ate Fancy Feast.

I know a lot of people here think FF is OK , but i think it's like "Junk" food for cats!

For now I'm just Happy he's eating something!

9. JoyBee&Ravan

If you are feeding your cats or dogs primarily canned pet food with carrageenan in it, they will be consuming amounts known to cause inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract!

10. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Please keep taking urine tests at any opportunity 1 x a day and keep an eye on his general demeanor.
    If you have ketones test results recorded - can you include them in to your SS? You can enter them in the Remark section of the SS - right side of the screen. Otherwise people will eep asking about it.
    here is the link to a recent discussion about FF:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...riskies-and-purina-foods.192386/#post-2151579

11. Wendy&Neko

Me too, plus it's high in phosphorus. Diabetes is hard on kidneys, so I chose to feed as low a phosphorus as I could. I also fed raw. There are lots of other good quality canned foods out there if he won't eat raw again. Some without carageenan (that's less common now) or gums (still out there). Can you get Rawz food near you?

12. JoyBee&Ravan

@Hi Wendy and Neko,
    I found a place that has Rawz cat food. Do you mean the canned or the freeze dried? Does it matter what flavor? I usually don't feed much fish.

13. Wendy&Neko

I meant the canned. The chicken and turkey flavours don't have fish. Not sure about the beef, never fed it. There are others here who feed the chicken and turkey.

14. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank you, I'm off to get some. I hope he'll eat it!

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.