? 4/6 Silver AMPS 212 PMPS 248 BACK FROM VET PLEASE SOMEONE HELP INTERPRET RESULTS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-5-silver-amps-211-pmps-173.193672/

Worried about him this morning. He didn't come wake me up with his usual early morning yowls for breakfast; sat on the couch when I got up instead of following me for food; wouldn't purr when I sat beside him and is now slowly eating his food when he normally wolfs it down. Numbers not too low tho. And now he walked away having only eaten half his food. At least he did eat so he had his shot.

I have to go to work now and am worried about leaving him. He ate about half his food so half of 3/4 can of FF. It's not like he can go back to it later as his sister is now finishing it off. Nervous today.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Silver feels better and surfs safely for you. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. I hate leaving him knowing he's not acting his usual self. Scared. He purred before I left but swishing his tail too so something is up. I'm aware of every little change in behavior.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

It's hard to have to go to work if something seems off with our furbabies. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Do you think I should have given him his shot with only half his food eaten?

6. carfurby (GA)

Do you have time to see if he will eat any more before you leave?

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm already at the train station. I have to always leave right away.

8. carfurby (GA)

He did eat some and he's not low at AMPS, so he should be okay. I thought you had to leave right away, but wasn't 100% sure.

9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I hope he'll be okay. :nailbiting:

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Food vines for Silver and hugs for you.

Juliet likes this.
  11. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Juliet. He seems to get a very decent food bump, so if he ate half of his food and perhaps has a 50% of normal food bump, considering your preshot is not too low, I think he should be okay while you are at work.

I know you have a tricky vet situation, but if he keeps acting off, I hope you are able to find a place to check him out and make sure he doesn't have something going on that's upsetting his tummy like a treatable infection or what have you. I hope the hours fly by for you today so you can get home to Silver and that he wants to eat when you get back.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Try not to worry (easier said than done!), I hope work goes by fast for you!!

Juliet likes this.
  13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I really don't trust ANY vet any more than I trust doctors. It's all so much a trial and error with them. When he last had diarrhea I took him to vet who gave him antibiotics. Then more antibiotics. Then steroids. Then asked why he as on steroids. Result - loss of remission. I did not know steroids raised BG. Not keen to go back. Is only vet in my area.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  14. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Are you home yet? If so. How is he acting?

Gird yourself in case he does need a vet clinic. You can sift through any info they give from bloods etc to make your own decision & you can ask here.

15. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

neither do I.
    If he is the only vet in the area then he is the only source for RX for you and the only one to perform blood tests - and sooner or later as a diabetic mom's you'll need a blood test or something.
    Keep him in the" friendly" mode while you might need him to RX something in the future. They usually very addicted to easy money, thanks heaven.
    Cat's appy is The biggest indication of their well being - if Silver's appy remains on and off - you might need to run a blood-check to rule out the most common culprits of a kitty's not eating - pancreatitis flare, nausea, food allergy, etc - or to pin pint the worse. Better to keep the vet cooperating.
    I pay for tests at my vet and never ask his opinion about it - someone here , on the Board, helps me with reading it.

I hope Silver's not eating as usual is just a glitch, and he'll be fine in no time!
    If not, then a blood check might be needed. If you 'll opt to having it done - post it here.

16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

We don't need prescriptions for insulin here. I am in Canada. Vet does not know he lost his remission. Just got home. He ate 3/4 of a can of FF. He usually gets that but I put down a full van as I knew he hadn't eaten all his breakfast. He did need some persuasion to eat it and he is definitely quieter and withdrawn tonight and his PMPS yellow. Last couple days had been blue. Will keep an eye on him this weekend. He had blood tests five months ago. All good.

If I need to do blood tests again I'll post them here but I hope not. Have no $.

Not food allergies. He eats same good sleep nice he was a kitten so 12 years. Maybe a hairball. Must more nervous with him acting odd when on insulin. Supposed to be doing a curve tomorrow.

17. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Acting a little quiet but sitting beside me and purring when I stroke him. I know he's not himself.

18. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Feeding home some white breast chicken which he is eating no problem. He is not himself tho so will keep an eye on him still. So aware of every little change in both of my cats.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  19. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug::(

It is so hard when you know something is off and you have tried everything.

Get to feeling better Mr. Silver :cat:

Juliet likes this.
  20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I know. I've had a crappy day worrying about him. I'll take him to vet on Monday if he's off all weekend.

21. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

You have my deepest sympathy on that one. I know it well. :nailbiting:

Have you ever tried slippery elm bark or marshmallow root slurry? It might be worth a try if it is tummy/constipation.

22. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Never heard of those things. Wouldn't know where to look for them. It only started this morning so not come across this. He is a little lethargic and not okay. I'm scared. I checked his numbers. Not hypo or even close.

23. carfurby (GA)

24. Juliet

Juliet Guest

He's growling quietly when I stroke him. He's not okay. Wish I knew what might be up.

25. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis pain?

26. Juliet

Juliet Guest

How would I know? He went into remission after only one month in 2014 and has only been back on insulin 7 months this time around. I do not know.

27. Stacy & Asia

:( Is your vet open on Saturday?

I hope Silver feels better soon. They are so good at hiding their pain sometimes by the time it’s obvious to us, it is more serious than we realize and sometimes there’s just no telling what’s going on without some diagnostics. Is he sitting in meatloaf position? Does he have a pain response if you press gently around his abdomen? Will he let you check in his mouth to see if any teeth issues/gum inflammation/bleeding?

28. PussCatPrince - GA

:( It is the worst feeling.

29. Kris & Teasel

Not eating with his usual appetite, less active, possible pain sign (growling).

30. PussCatPrince - GA

When Ty was in pain from pancreatitis , he stretched out and stared blankly ahead. Not all cats do this 'course.
    What do his eyes tell you Juliet?
    Silver might still eat even if in pain & still move for the basics.
    Is his poop Ok? I know. I'm obsessed with cat poop now.

At least you are home and it is not a blimmin' Monday .

31. Tracey&Jones (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Vines for Silver.

Jones signs - lack of appy, sitting/sleeping in a load position, hair not groom well, he will resist when I massage his tummy with pressure.

32. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Am going to emergency vet right now for my own piece of mind. Will post when I get back.

33. Stacy & Asia

Vetty vines for Silver and vines for you too, Juliet, I hope you see a vet you are confident with and they can help! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Juliet likes this.
  34. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Am at vets now. Poor Silver peed in his carrier on the way so not a happy boy or momma

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  35. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Oh poor boy!

Put a watch on your thread.

36. Stacy & Asia

Poor Silver. Never fun going to the vet. More vines your way. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Juliet likes this.
  37. Kris & Teasel

Good luck!

Juliet likes this.
  38. Juliet

Juliet Guest

How do I do that?

39. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Sorry I meant I put a watch on your thread....so I know if you post...

Amanda & Shmee and Juliet like this.
  40. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I hope you don't have a long wait...I have waited an hour with Jones before he was seen at the ER....and he couldn't breathe.

41. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines your way :bighug::bighug:

The symptoms he is giving sound like pancreatitis ... however, my civvie Rex had the same thing last year and hers turned out to be gas. :rolleyes:

I hope they can pinpoint his issue quickly, for yours and Silvers sake. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Amanda & Shmee and Juliet like this.
  42. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Am still at vet. Very nice vet so very happy to have found a vet who respects my experience with diabetes learned here. Told him of the FDMB. Showed him ss. He was impressed. He's dehdrated so am being sent home with fluids to give sub cutaneously (will need help with that). They are doing blood tests now and I'll get the results right away. The test will show moderate to severe pancreatitis but not show if mild. they don't have that equipment here. Also doing ketones test.

He will need a dental when I can afford it. This visit already gonna hurt. Haven't figured out how to pay for it yet.

43. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not pooped today. Eyes are not happy. He's trying to purr but not keen. Hoping fluids will help. Hoping blood tests don't show anything bad.

44. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you and Silver are on an adventure--no fun for kitty or momma! :(

Glad you like the vet. Getting fluids often does really perk them up. Vines.

45. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Glad you like the vet! Hope you get answers soon.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  46. PussCatPrince - GA

Me and Ty are here Juliet. Seriously hoping that not too much is found and he just needs a bit of a perk up.

47. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Vines for you and Silver tonight :bighug:

48. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok we are both home. Not sure I understand everything as I am exhausted now - its 12:40 am and I have to be up for his insulin shot at 6am.

He was given fluids and I was given a bag home to give him 200ml once a day for next four days. Very dehydrated. Confused re vet's bg reading of 415.8 so came home to test myself - 212.4 on the Freestyle and I grabbed a test on the Accuchek - 379.8 so Accucheck closer to vet reading on lab results.

Here is scan of lab results. I don't quite understand. Vet didnt know why TBIL (whatever that is) was high but said fluids may bring it back to normal range. Said blood test looked okay. Serum Ketones - moderate (4mm0l/L).

Vet said if Silver continues to look lethargic and has reduced appetite after the weekend he needs to be rechecked and treated in hospital. I just spent $500 on this visit and I have used my rent money. Scared silly as there is no way I have the funds for a hospital stay. Any advice there? Would DCIN help? @Chris & China ? Teeth okay but says I will need to arrange a cleaning and there may be one extraction. Again. I can't do this right now. So scared.

Attached Files:

49. Stacy & Asia

I do think fluids will help if he's dehydrated it makes you feel crummy. I hope the blood work tells what's going on and it's something easily managed. :bighug:

50. Juliet

Juliet Guest

just posted results...don't know how to interpet. Vet says he may need to be hospitalised. Scared me. Silver got fluids and has big lump on his neck but beginning to go down. Do I need to refrigerate the bag of fluids?

51. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Vet also said that something must be stopping him using the insulin I am giving him if he is at 4.25u twice a day and still seeing numbers that I am seeing. I don't agree given what other spreadsheets show on here - thoughts anyone? @LuanneP didnt you see similar numbers with Merry and went up to 5u before he came down. I need to go to bed. Will check online again in a few hours.

52. Stacy & Asia

It's hard to read some of those numbers, but I'm also not one of the lab experts on here. White blood cells are low, that could be infection of some sort, teeth maybe? Did they do a urinalysis too? UTIs are rather common for diabetic cats since glucose in the urine is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. What did the vet say about the ketones? I don't have any first hand experience with that, so I don't know if that's a small or large amount, the fluids are likely to help flush those. With ketones present, you want to make sure he is eating (anything, even if higher carbs), you want to make sure he's getting enough insulin and fluids. Do you have ketostix or urine ketone strips at home so you can monitor that? If you can't catch his pee, you could get a blood ketone meter, they are pricey though. I would be on top of regularly monitoring for ketones form here on out since you know he has had them before (now).

No, you don't have to refrigerate the fluids, I think some people do, I didn't. It is good for about 10 days once you start using it. 200 mL is a lot of fluids, I'm guessing to help flush the ketones, but if it were my cat, I would split that up and do 100mL twice a day rather than 200mL at once. It can be too much for their heart, not to freak you out, when they need fluids, they need fluids, but splitting it up I think is a better idea.

I'm sorry, Juliet. I'm glad it's the weekend and you can be home with him, hope he perks up soon. :bighug:

53. Stacy & Asia

Adding, it sounds like the vet suggesting you bring back in to check him if he's still lethargic means ketones/potential DKA. Hopefully you can avoid that happening by monitoring ketones at home and making sure he has enough food, insulin and fluids. I would put something in your title tomorrow about ketones and see what others have to offer with experience there.

54. PussCatPrince - GA

I would think so Juliet. It is called Diabetic Cats in Need. I think you need to make an application somehow.

Phil got a refund on a mud run he cannot now take part in this weekend. I managed to get a refund. I will donate with love and care to you and Silver even though it will just be a part of the $$.

Get some sleep if you can. I knows you need that sleep for your wellbeing and health.

Calling lovely experts. Juliet and Silver need you guys .

@Marje and Gracie
    @Jill & Alex (GA)

for starters

55. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok I saw emergency vet do I only bring back in if emergency.

He's not eating at all after vet visit but he did eat half a can of FF with his shot.

Vet said ketones were moderate.

I can't afford blood ketone meter. I just spent my rent money on tonight's vet visit. My rent cheque is going to bounce on Monday.

I can't catch his pee. I have two cats who never use the litter tray when I am home. Vet said those sticks not reliable.

Vet not giving fluids to flush the mild/moderate ketones. He is severely dehydrated. Must give fluids as vet directed. Daren't do otherwise

He was eating normally and acting normally yesterday so I don't know why so fast.

56. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I did do an application and I qualified. They paid for strips for me twice. This is a bigger need though. I don't think I'll be sleeping. I'm scared in case he might not make it.

Not really thinking straight now.

57. PussCatPrince - GA

I know Juliet. I can feel it. I wish I was there.
    DCIN will help I am sure and I will donate what I can to help ease the $.

The fluid thing has not long happened and you have more to do. Silver may settle .

You need your sleep though Juliet to help with thinking, otherwise your head will be mush. Silver also needs the calm of the night as sleep is also healing.

Juliet likes this.
  58. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You are so kind. You all are.

I have to be up to give him his shot in four and a half hours. Should I give it to him if he's not eating? His numbers are high enough that I think he'll be safe?

59. Stacy & Asia

I would try to encourage him to eat if you can, even if it's higher carb food. I think moderate ketones is significant that you should do what you can to get them down. The strips are accurate in that they will tell you if ketones are present, they are inaccurate in that it is telling you after the fact as that urine ketones could be from an hour or more ago and thus the ketone measurement is not reflective of what is happening right now. A blood ketone meter would be real time, obviously.

By all means, give fluids as directed, I'm just sharing my experience with you, Asia was on fluids.

Ketones and DKA can happen fast. They can seem fine one minute and some hours later be in trouble.

You do not want to skip insulin if you can at all help it. The recipe for DKA is not enough insulin, infection and not eating. Get food in to him any way you can so you can give him insulin.

There lots of people with DKA and ketone experience on this board, they can help. :bighug:

60. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. I'll try food again tomorrow. I tried temptations treats even but not interested. But that was after vet visit. I've gone to bed now and will try again tomorrow.

61. PussCatPrince - GA

6pm NZ time

I'm not kind. I loves you and Silver as if you were my good neighbour.

This is my understanding. Feed Silver anything you can that he will eat. Add water a bit if he will take that. it may be that a bit of something mushy might work. Or just little bits from your own fingers. You still give him his shot at the right time.

For you it is difficult to get out and get the ketone wee test strips . Even then Silver is like Tyler. He would rather sew up his own bum rather than you catch a bit of wee on a strip. Far too undignified.

You have 4 days of the fluid thing. Hydration can only help . Is that right @Stacy & Asia ?
    Dehydration makes anyone feel dreadful and nauseous. I do know that from experience. Been there with that.

Most important thing Missus Juliet in Canada is that you breath. Go outside for a minute if it isn't icicles where you are and breath. Think of something calming or say a prayer of calm . Kick a dustbin. Whatever gives the moment. I sing in my head. It stops the brain from overloading - for real.

Juliet and Stacy & Asia like this.
  62. PussCatPrince - GA

63. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What I've heard is that any ketones over a trace should be managed by the vet. Moderate is above trace. The b/w might show possible infection. Depending how bad his teeth are, it could be from that too.

Here is a post on Ketones and DKA. It's from the Health Links forum, which also has a post on giving subq fluids, with a video that might help. You want to try to get as many calories into him so that you can continue to give his insulin. Hydration is good. From the post on DKA:
    The basic recipe for developing DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses

Sending healing vines. :bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  64. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's a bad time of night to get in touch with anybody, but I urge you to contact the page first thing in the morning (and if you end up having to go back to the ER before then, if you message the DCIN page, there's an emergency phone number)

65. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Juliet. I know you went to bed, but wanted to stop by to say how sorry I am that Silver is not well. I can't add much to what the others have said.

Here's a little reminder list:

• Feed him whatever he'll eat even if it's higher carb food. Getting calories into him trumps the diabetes at this point. If you need to, syringe feed him: Assisted Feeding (Video and Tips). You want to shoot for about 1.5 times the amount he normally eats.
    • Syringe water, as much as he'll take.
    • You don't want to skip shots. If his PS number is low, ask for help. Someone will walk you through it.
    • Ketostix - cheaper than a ketone meter and they'll give you the information you'll need. You've said your place is small. That'll make it easier to watch for when he pees.
    Try to keep as calm as you possibly can around Silver because he'll pick up on your upset. I know that part's hard, but we do what we gotta do for these little guys.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

66. PussCatPrince - GA

Thanks you lovely lady. No idea what the time is where you are but you are a star.

67. PussCatPrince - GA

& Juliet.

We are all here.

68. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks everyone. Had about 3 hrs sleep. Now about to get up for his shot. Praying he will eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.