4/7 Ozzy AMPS 298 +4 256 +6.5 282 +10 261 PMPS 250 +2.5 143 +4 .5 60

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Last Post

We're back!!!! Missed you guys! Thanks for the well wishes and misses. Made us feel loved! :):):kiss::kiss:

I have been so busy lately and just haven't had time to get on the board. I miss hearing about all my kitty and bean friends. Going to go check in on a few condos in a moment and see what you all have been up to!

Ozzy is still doing well. We got some new toys for him and Figgie recently and he's been having a blast dragging them around the house and kicking them under the hall rug.

My last post was a pajama party and we considered a possible reduction. But we didn't take one...and things just went up hill from there. Literally. Over this last week, we were not able to get a lot of mid cycle tests in during the day (darn job always gets in the way), but even his PM cycles were mostly yellow. This morning I upped his dose again to .75. Third time now going back up. Ozzy just keeps bobbling back and forth between doses. It's kind of annoying. I just want him to get off the darn juice already and it really doesn't look like that is ever going to happen. Right now my focus is trying to keep him away from all those stinky yellow numbers and pink preshots. I gave Ozzy his first increase today and his number still are crap. Maybe NDW..I don't know. We'll see how he does for the next few cycles.

I have decided I need to get more serious about sticking to the protocol. We tend to let him go longer on a particular dose hoping his numbers will get better when I should just be increasing after 6 cycles like recommended.

Hope all the beans and kitties are well!:cat::cat:

Oh BTW....guess who was tested and found out they have insulin resistance? ME!!!!!
    Crap! I don't have diabetes and am not prediabetic, but having insulin resistance for years can lead to it - AS WE ALL KNOW! I took the glucose tolerance test and within 2 hours went hypo. I have never experienced this feeling before and it's AWFUL! Our poor kitties!!! My doctor put me on metformin. It hasn't been a week yet but so far so good. I also started a low carb low sugar diet myself and with that and the met, I have already lost 4 pounds this week. This would never happen with diet or exercise alone. In the past when I've gone on strict diets and exercised hard for 4-5xs a week, the most I could lose in a week ever was 1.6lbs. Always only 1.6lbs. I blame my thyroid for that though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+10 261

Looks like Ozzy is starting to come down a little at the end of his cycle. Wonder what he's going to do right before PS. Would be nice to see a lower number and a nice PM cycle. We'll see!

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Ozzy is doing well and enjoying his new toys. I hope the new dose brings lower numbers. That's crazy about the insulin resistance. I hope the metformin helps. Sending prayers.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jo. Good to see you and Ozzy - missed you in Chino's condo. :)

Good luck with the new dose. One thing you might want to consider with Ozzy cause he seems to be failing those 0.75 to 0.5 reductions, is to wait for three drops below 50 (or one below 40) before lowering the dose.

Wow on the insulin resistance! And cool on the weight loss. :cool: Hope you are feeling better.

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Wendy&Neko Yes, I am going to go with the 3 drops below 50 rule for this new dose. I mentioned this on @Taffysmama thread today. Ozzy never holds the .5u dose well. I think he does best on .75u-1u of lantus.

Hubby was saying we should give him .75u in the am and .5u in the pm. I know others have tried this before. What do you think?

Ya, finding out I have insulin resistance was quite a suprise. Sure, I have a couple extra pounds on me but I am not seriously overweight by any means. It could be genetics (my gma was a bad diabetic) but my endo also said it could be from my thyroid medicine synthroid. It is known to cause insulin resistance. These endocrine disorders go hand in hand they say. My thyroid condition (hashimotos thyroditis) is also genetic. Got this from my other grandmas side!! Fun times! Either way, I am glad to have caught the insulin resistance early so that I can take proactive steps to not get prediabetes or diabetes in the long term. I will be missing my wine for sure. But so far the low carb low sugar diet is going really well. I totally suprised myself at how quicky I took to it. It has been a week today and no crazy cravings for carbs or sugar. In the last week my only complex carbs have been one whole wheat tortilla and 3 small bowls of organic granola with almond milk. So far so good.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thyroid conditions also cause insulin resistance in kitties.

As of the mixed up doses AM and PM - I wouldn't do it. The dosing methods we use here work best with consistent dosing. Otherwise you get wonky numbers. That strategy does work well with the in and out insulins. But with Lantus there is the matter of the depot. If you shoot .5U at night, the depot from the .75U dose could still be influencing it. And if he earned a reduction, the question is reduction from what?

7. Ozzy Pawzbourne

+4.5=60

Oh this cat! Maybe there is some magical goldilocks number between .5u and .75 because one is not enough and the other is too much. :blackeye::facepalm:

Looks like it's another pajama party tonight on first day of dosecrease. Good thing it is the weekend.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  8. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He just ate his normal low carb snack. Will test again in 30-60 mins.

9. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Wendy&Neko Thanks for the feedback Wendy. I won't mess with the doses. Explained your logic to Hubby too.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Have you tried a fat 0.5 u, Jo? Should be relatively easy to eyeball on U100s with half unit marks.

11. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

I've been preaching this to my parents (both diabetic) at least once a week and they're finally starting it too. I'm not diabetic, but I've been on an ultra low carb diet since last July. The government nutritional guidelines that told us to eat less fat and more fruit/grains were based on bad science (Keys chose the data that supported his hypothesis and left out the data that contradicted it). Of course, the rate of diabetes and heart disease in the US has increased steadily since then... Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now, but I'm glad to hear that you're on the road to better health!

How does Ozzy act when you get a reading in the 40s? Is he symptomatic? If reductions don't seem to hold, I wonder if lowering the reduction point might help, or waiting for him to go below 50 on three different days before taking one.

12. Ozzy Pawzbourne

We are going to consider the 3 below 50 protocol this next time around. Only one time when Ozzy was in the low 4os (42) did he act a little confused and meowed a lot. But I think Hubby's frantic nature when it happened may have contributed to it. Not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.