44 at +4

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RRaptor, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I did a before bed test and Liv is down to 44 on a human meter. I'm not noticing any symptoms. I've given her a can of her regular food and she is happily eating it.

2. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

44 is low, good thing you tested her and gave her some food but regular food - might not be enough. Do you have any gravy-heavy food you could give, just a quarter or half can of? I'd also auggest a little smear of Karo or syrup, honey, etc. on her gums - just a titch. How's her water intake, has she peed/pooped?

3. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

No gravy food, but I've got HC dry & syrup. Trying to avoid going too high.

4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Try rubbing a litle syrup on her gums - not a lot - just a smear and if she's ok for it offer her a very small handful of the dry, 1/4. I agree, no huge spike - nice and slow.

By smear I mean, SMEAR.

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Wait till she licks, settled down.. then give a table spoon at a time, the dry. tablespoon, remember... based on your baby's info, I'd try 1.5 tb. Then wait, watch her... stroke her, pet her, talk to her and test her. Around ":30-37" clock wise. If she eats her dry, if NOT.. up it by 10 min, :20-27.

6. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Candy&Company the hypo sticky suggests LC food for a cat with low numbers, no symptoms. I know dry food will send her high for days, but I'll feed it if I need to. 51 at 20 minutes later. She ate about half a can of food. 51 is safe on a human meter.

7. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooh bless, I thought you only had dry food - god love you and your baby! Yeah 51 is good, just make sure she'd still climbing since I'm not sure what you gave her - Karo? She might fall back but sounds like you know what you're doing. :cat: That 44 came out of nowhere on the SS though.. I'm wondering.

I'd drop her morning dose down to 1.25 units and if you can, watch close. This dipped quick tonight. She might be trending up.

EDIT - ACK, I meant 2 units. 2 units in morning.

8. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

No syrup, yet. This isn't our first low, but I find it comforting to get support from other people in it.

9. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Not a problem, I'm new but numbers are my thing and your SS definitely tells a story - those yellows, yeah, they'll slowly go away. Mathematically in my opinion, you're headed toward remission. Will take a bit longer though. Maybe.. 4-6 mon? Give or take. But you're heading in the right direction, it's very possible.

EDIT - I crunch numbers, don't mind me. I'm new to feline diabetes, so as scary as this is for me for my own Fena-baby it's worrying so I sink into it. Due to DKA, might be a year instead.. but you're heading there. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  10. Leah

Leah Member

Something to remember for next time - you can add karo/ honey/ syrup to lc wet food!

RRaptor likes this.
  11. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yeah, RRaptor didn't want to spike Olivia too high to fast - which is why I suggested a smear, etc, but they seem to know what they're doing pretty good. :) Funny coming from a newbie like me, LOL. God bless though, just want happy endings.

12. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

It would be nice. She's been pretty volatile and most cats that will achieve remission do so within 6 months of diagnosis.

Yes, I would have done that if she had been any lower or shown symptoms, I try to follow the protocol sticky pretty strictly!

Testing again in 15 and we're trending up so I'll go ahead and remove the 911 prefix.

Leah likes this.
  13. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I just follow the numbers, half the time we have no clue what they mean but in this case, yeah, if patterns persist. :)

Glad you and Liv are good, don't know if I helped all that much, you were so smart and knew what to do - god bless you for that! Hope I could just be someone in the dark to maybe, kindasota, talk to. Glad you're both doing so well. Keep up the fight! :bighug:

RRaptor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.