5/22/2018 Thomas AMPS 464, +7 416, PMPS 427

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara & Cats, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

Hello,

I'm so frustrated with Thomas's numbers the last two days, we were finally starting to see more blue and now we're back to red.

He's up to 10 units of Lantus twice a day. For our next increase, which I'm sure is coming, do I continue with the .5 units at a time or do I now increase by whole units?

He has been more tired the past few days but other than that, he's been acting normal. He was just playing and is now cleaning himself. I love him and wish I could bring his numbers down. I'm sure trying.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry Thomas is being so stubborn. :bighug: He is probably still bouncing from that lovely stretch of blues two days ago. Over 10 units, increases are by one unit at a time, unless you are just tweaking a dose that is already seeing some green.

Your last post here for continuity. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...s-dosing-advice-pmps-112.195501/#post-2189012

Have you talked to your vet yet about getting Thomas tested for acromegaly and IAA (insulin auto antibodies)? When cats get over six units, we suggest getting that testing done. One in four diabetic cats has acromegaly, so it's fairly common here. The test is a blood draw sent to Michigan State University.

3. Sara & Cats

Sara & Cats Member

Sorry, I had copied my last post and forgot to paste it on this thread.
    We have an appointment for blood work for acromegaly and IAA next week. From the information I got from the vet, the blood work would be sent to Idexx in Ontario. Is there a way to get it to go directly to MSU when in Canada?

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Sending vines your way Sara :bighug:
    I hope Thomas comes back down soon and more answers come your way.
    I know you said previously that you were thinking of trying another insulin, have you given that any thought or talked to your vet about it? I am super new to this so I am just curious and here to learn. I wonder how high of a dose people chose to switch insulins at? Also, has the vet looked at Thomas's teeth?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately my vet also went through an intermediary lab to send the blood to MSU. At additional cost. :rolleyes:I think there is paperwork to send blood across the border. It can be done, as I found later when Neko's blood was sent to the same MSU for a full thyroid panel. That time it was by Neko's internal medicine vet clinic who probably had more experience sending blood to MSU. Neko was the first cat her regular vet had tested for high dose conditions.

Amanda brings up a good point. Some cats on higher doses of Lantus find that it's acid base stings. Well, so do some on lower doses. But for many high dose cats, a switch to Levemir can be helpful. For most, but not all cats, their cycles are flatter. I didn't think Neko minded Lantus, but every once in a while she would walk away from the shot. When we switched to Lev, she sometimes purred through the shot and never walked away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.