? 5/27 - 5/29. TiTi eating poorly, otherwise fine.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...rgetic-but-hyuge-vounces.196151/#post-2196639

She loathes the aluminum hydroxide, the phosph. binder. I think it's the grainy consistency that she dislikes. I've also found that it's gone out of favor because over time it can cause worsening kidney damage:
    https://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-in-a-bind-over-phosphorus
    This article suggests using :
    "calcium carbonate, calcium acetate, sevalamar HCL, and lanthanum carbonate. The aforementioned products are mostly either yucky-tasting liquids or pills that most cats will not take easily. A newer, easier to administer, though somewhat less potent phosphate binder called Epakaitin® is available and is a good choice to use early in the course of renal insufficiency."

I have finely powdered calcium carbonate on hand, so I'll try switching over to it.

I've stopped fish 2 weeks ago, and changed to FF pate chicken varieties, which although higher than I'd like is still lower than the Friskie's pate - especially the fish varieties.

Whatever the problem causing her to eat less, I've noticed that of late evenings, she chows down with enthusiasm. She's taking cerenia with cypto. every morning, and 12 hours later cypro. only.

My vet says it will take at least a month from beginning methimazole for her to start gaining weight. I started her on the 15th of May, so around June 15th I guess.

???? Does anyone out there have any further info' on how long it takes for a cat aon methimazole to start gaining weight? ???

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon another appy enticer: pumpkin seed oil. Anytime he won't eat, I add very little of that to his wet & he eats it all up.

Kathy and TiTi and Stacy & Asia like this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

There’s no great answer with restricting phosphorous, but it must be done. You get the short stick one way or another, if you feed a renal diet, you deal with low p but also low protein and that contributes to muscle wasting. If you use AlOH, yes, there is a toxicity risk, but humans don’t have the protein requirements cats do, so what works in humans doesn’t have to work as well as does for cats needing lots of protein. The other binders have very lackluster results. I think the toxicity issue is likely more of a concern with a younger cat without other health issues that is at a stage where he could be on binders for years and years, that’s my take anyway. It’s the gold standard on Tanya’s site and that is thousands of cats and I’ve rarely heard of any symptomic aluminum toxicity (I personally haven’t heard of one, but I’m leaving room for it to be possible). I’m happy to use AlOH and replace some of the protein with cooked egg white, which is low p. The newer formulas are granular instead of powder, but you can dissolve it in water and then add it to food that way so it isn’t gritty.

No answers for your real question, but I hope TiTi reads the rule book and starts to put on weight by June 15th if not before, she strikes me as an overachiever! ;) :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Has Titi had bloodwork recently? I wouldn't give calcium carbonate if her calcium numbers are high. I couldn't give it to Neko. As for aluminum hydroxide, I'd read that if you let it sit in wet food for a while before serving, it softens up. Or do like Stacy suggests and let it sit in water for a bit.

Sending appy vines. :bighug::bighug:

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yes, mix the aluminum hydroxide in real well. Gizmo doesn't even notice it at all. The AH I get from thrivingpets is very, very fine powder and is odorless and tasteless. You must get her phos level down. I would lay odds that is the main issue with her nausea/not eating (and not the AH).

6. Stacy & Asia

May or may not be the case if you order right now or going forward. There was a nationwide change in supplier which is why some people are getting the granular variety. I didn’t get word if it would ever go back to the powered form we are used to, but Ian from thriving pets was the one who told me why they are different consistencies now.

7. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Yes, the last one I got is not as fine powder and like you said more granular but still very fine. Neither has bothered Gizmo.

8. Stacy & Asia

Mine is very fine too and seems to dissolve quickly when I mix it with water in her food, but pre diabetes Asia I bet would know her food was “tainted” and not touch it. TiTi may be a similar type of cat! :p I hope she isn’t, Kathy, but if she is, you have my empathy. Been there!

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice. Just sending prayers.

10. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Her blood work was on May 15th.
    I'll try the softening up technique.
    Pumpkin seed oil sounds a good idea to give a try.
    On the blood work, her RBC is worrisome. 6.2 on a scale of 5-19. CA =11.2 on a scale of 8-11.8
    WOW way too high.
    I need to take the time to enter the senior panel. It was very thorough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.