? 5/29 MOUSE AMPS 179 , +3 152, +6 58, PMPS 242 glucose toxicity

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mouse & Me, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

2. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

So, she is now in "duration"? When insulin is kicking in?
    Her nadir is probably 2-4p,?
    I'm trying to see a pattern. Sometimes I wish there was a fake template, taken apart & explained, "this is what is going on here", etc

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

To me, it looks like her onset is +2.5-+3ish. It looks in the daytime that she typically nadirs +6 to +8 timeframe, when I try to determine this, I look for cycles that are similar or as close to a “normal” cycle as possible (as in no bounce or super high pre shot number, etc.), so today’s I compare to 5/25 and 5/27 am cycles. A template would be nice, and one does exist, but the problem is ECID so you results may look quite different. It’s really tricky to see patterns sometimes, especially if they are not very predictable and well regulated. That’s why I try to look for like/similar cycles to compare to the one I am seeing to get an idea. And of course, you can’t really analyze a cycle on its own, you have to step back and look at the big picture and try to see the patterns that way, what is the overall trend/color pattern, how long bounces last, what a failed reduction might look like, are bounces from food, a low, a steep drop? It’s a lot to unpack and it isn’t always clear anyway. Looking big picture, in the month of May, Mouse has seen much better numbers overall than she was seeing previous to this. It’s progress for sure and you have to celebrate that! :)

Here’s “the template” from the basics sticky:

Example of an ACTIVE, but NOT necessarily typical Lantus cycle:
    NOTE: Until kitty is pretty well regulated, the description below is NOT not what you'd consider a "typical" Lantus cycle. It takes time and patience for kitty to achieve a "typical" cycle! The example below is what you're working towards (a nice shallow curve). A relatively flat cycle is the ultimate goal.

+0 - PreShot number.
    +1 - Usually higher than PreShot number because of the last shot wearing off. May see a food spike in this number.
    +2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is the same/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!
    +3 - Often lower than the PreShot number.
    +4 - Lower.
    +5 - Lower.
    +6 - Nadir/Peak (the lowest number of cycle. NOTE: ECID. Not every cat has a mid-cycle nadir. Adjust the hours on this example to fit your cat.)
    +7 - Surf (hang around the nadir number).
    +8 - Slight rise.
    +9 - Slight rise.
    +10 - Rising.
    +11 - Rising (one of the quirks of Lantus/Levemir: some cat's blood glucose numbers dip around +10 or +11... not to be confused with nadir).
    +12 - PreShot number.

4. Mouse & Me

Mouse & Me Member

I meant, like a chart, using what you just said about her SS, like this:

Attached Files:

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You can do it on your own SS. If you look at Asia’s, for some time I’ve tried to underline her nadir number, you can do that or bold it or whatever system makes sense for you. I skip cycles where she is high all day or breaking a bounce, but it helps paint the picture for me. Onset can be tricker because you could shoot a falling number and a +1 looks like early onset, but isn’t. You could have a cycle where everything seems to start later and duration goes in to the next cycle which muddies the water. You also can have food spikes in the mix. I generally call onset as the most consistent time where, in an active cycle, the number is close to or lower than preshot and then assume that is onset for every cycle. I find onset is much more consistently in the same place once you nail it down than nadir. I have also found onset is the same in any cycle but Asia’s nadirs were consistently in different places in the am vs pm cycles. Aren’t hormones fun? :rolleyes:

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Remember too that nadirs can and do change each cycle. I used to joke that Neko's Lantus nadir was reliably between +3.5 and +13. If she started lower, the nadir was earlier, later on in bounce breaking cycles, or if she just wanted to mess with me. Definitely look for patterns over more than one cycle. I got so I could predict when Neko might go lower, when the previous two cycles had a certain look to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.