? 5.9.15 Zoey is sick....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rose, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose

Rose Member

Zoey is at the emergency vet with my DH. She pretty much can't walk because her left hind leg is swollen and she's in pain. I kept her off from the Cushex for right at 48 hours and we collected the urine sample this a.m. and dropped it off at the vet at 5:30 on our way out of town; they're supposed to be running the creatine/cortisol test to see if Cushing's is a possible diagnosis. Zoey's been in good numbers pretty much all day since restarting the cushex and she was in good numbers the day I first gave her the Cushex. Her two bad days were the days when I stopped and the Cushex and kept her off for 24 hours. We truly thought all was on an upward turn. She was having a hard time walking this morning and throughout the day it progressively got worse. She tried to jump across to a seat and scraped her belly and tore open more skin. (easily tears .. cushing's symptom). Emergency Vet is running a mini blood lab on her and will give a different pain medicine. (You can't touch her... ) I fed her extra to keep her BG up some while away. Vet is testing to see if it's a renal issue. CKD??

One of the two main foods I feed her is Friskie's Special Diet Whitefish and Special Diets Turkey Giblets. I believe I read on Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Chronic Kidney Disease that phosphorous is an issue. I also feed her tuna fish as her treat sometimes. I'm going to say that has to stop... but the phosphorous is only a little higher than most of the special diet pates (which seem to be lower carb). The Tanya's site also talks abot not feeding too much protein -- but isn't that what the meat is all about that I also feed her for treats? And the protein that the lower carb food has extra of? I'm really confused, worried and numb.

Could someone who is dealing with CKD (still undiagnosed at this moment, but vet sounds like she's sure) let me know what their routine is and the food they feed? I can't deal with Zoey being in pain that is not going to get better. I can hardly touch her to get her BG reading without her vocalizing what I suspect are some really bad cat words.

I'm a little premature in this post since I don't have a definitive result from the vet; but I wanted to try and catch anyone who might have suggestions on diet. DH is going by store on his way home and I would like to give him suggestions on better food choices for her.

Zoey's ss is up to date. I'll get back to the linking once I have a minute to go and find the last post. I'm just a little beside myself at the moment.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and suggestions.

2. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

I`m sorry I cannot offer anything other than my thoughts and prayers for you and poor little Zoey. Feel better soon, little girl.

3. Vicki

Vicki Member

I can't offer advice, but sending healing energy and vines. I hope Zoey is feeling better soon! :bighug:

4. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Oh no - get well soon Zoey!! :bighug: I'm so sorry to hear she's not doing well today.

The more symptoms you're describing, the more it does sound as though your thoughts about her having Cushing's are likely on the right track - the skin tearing is, I believe, one of the more obvious symptoms that occur in most cats.

Our 18 year old, Shadow, has CKD so of course we have to manage her dietary needs as well as Rosa's (out of the same foods too)! The Friskies Special Diet pates are one of the more readily available options for food that is both low in carbs and low in phosphorus (you're right that CKD kitties need low phosphorus food). On the catinfo.org food chart you're looking for foods that have less than 250mg phos per 100 kcals. And of course under 10% carbs too! The Whitefish dinner is over the mark for phosphorus unfortunately so might be out at least to begin with. Though you might find she can have it as a treat once in a while. The Turkey and Giblet flavor is a good one as she already likes that. Our vet wanted Shadow on a low protein prescription food, but her blood work has been better since we switched her to the low carb, low phosphorus food so I'm not convinced that low protein is essential! We free feed all the cats (it's too difficult to do anything else with 6 of them all wanting their own personal schedules).

I looked up an average for canned tuna and it says it's 157 calories and 130mg of phosphorus per 3oz which would bring it in at under the maximum phosphorus level so should still be OK for her as a treat. :)

5. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Oh Rose!! I had been wondering why no condo for Zoey today. I can't offer medical advice, but I'm piling on many more healing vines for sweet Zoey and calming, supportive vines for you. Of course you're beside yourself. :bighug::bighug:. I hope the vet is able to get her pain under control and you get some answers soon. Take care of yourself too!

6. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Light, vines, and oh so many prayers for you and Zoey. We're with you.

Marilyn and Polly

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

When Punkin's kidneys started to go we switched him to the Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets. All the time.

If you need a pain killer for her, Bupe is one option. Punkin got it twice a day for months, maybe a year. I don't know if you need a painkiller all the time or not.

Sending healing vines to the little girl and big hugs to you!

8. Rose

Rose Member

I'm at a loss for what's going on. Really I am. Her blood work all came back good ... ??? DH is exhausted and is truly my knight in shining armor. We've had a very long two days and he's just now walking in the door from the vet's office. I'll get the blood work results from him in the a.m. and post them but he said the vet said all of her numbers looked good and the emergency vet felt it must be her neuropathy that's causing the swelling and pain. I took Zoey out of her crate and she can't walk on that back leg. I'm going to feed her and keep her in her crate so as to limit her attempts at mobility. She was given a new pain med: Torbugesic Elixir. She had the Buprenex about 6:30 p.m. (et) so I will wait until morning to give her the new pain med. We will be calling the regular vet first thing Monday morning.

Thank you ALL for the healing vines. The compassion here is overwhelming and has me crying puddles of tears.

9. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Rose, so sorry to hear Zoey is not well, sending tons of healing vines for her and hugs to you, I hope she is soon feeling better. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Much as it's extremely frustrating not to be able to pin down exactly what's going on, I am very relieved to hear that Zoey's blood work came back good. Hopefully you're not dealing with CKD after all and the new pain med will have her feeling more comfortable quickly.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to you and DH - what a star he is for rushing Zoey off to the emergency vet for you - and lots of scritches for Zoey!

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Diabetic neuropathy doesn't normally cause swelling, just pain. Perhaps she strained something jumping? If she'll let you check, monitor the temperature of that leg relative to the other legs. Sometimes, infection will cause heat and swell, and circulation problems may cause coolness and a blue tint to the skin.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

(((Rose and DH))) So sorry to hear Zoey had to go to ER today. :bighug: My thoughts are with you tonight and truckloads of healing vines are on the way.

We have a few kitties here with diabetes and CKD, although it sounds like that might not be an issue. Anyway, Ann keeps track of low carb/low phos options on Tess's SS.

13. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Rose}}}

Your DH is definitely a keeper. I'm so sorry your dear Zoey is in pain. It's so awful to see them suffering and to not understand why. Keeping her quiet and giving her pain meds are two excellent steps.

It's never a bad idea to feed low phos foods to an FD kitty - their kidneys are at risk from the FD already, so even if Zoey's numbers are good, it will help keep them that way. Wellness grain free foods are low in Phosphorus and most are low in carbs, too. The Friskies Special Diet T&G is a good choice. Also, Evo 95% Chicken & Turkey is excellent. Weruva also has some that are low in both carbs and phos. Check Dr. Lisa's list.

Sending lots of healing vines for Zoey and many :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and your excellent DH.

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I wish I had answers for you, but all I can offer is tons of prayers. I was thinking the same thing as BJ....could Zoey have injured her leg? Did they do any x-rays?

More prayers...please feel better, sweet Zoey!

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I hope Zoey is feeling better this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.