? 6/15. TiTi getting fussy about food again. Cipro on board again. ATTN Texans

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...like-an-acro-kitty-again.196979/#post-2205037

A week from Monday, I go to training in Denver.
    I'm concerned about how much my sitter must do for TiTI. :

Morning: Insulin shot, oral med Cerenia, apply thyroid med to ear, 75-100mls sub-q, set up day feeder, feed TiTI evening meal.

Evenings: Insulin shot, apply throid med to ear, set up night feeder, feed evening food.

Her usual fee is $20/a visit, but that's not going to enough this time. I'm considering $25-30/a visit.

????? Texans please advise
    Do you fella Texans there have any ideas on an appropriate fee?

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not from Texas but I pay $25 per visit for testing, insulin and medication. She doesn't do any of the food, DH takes care of that.

3. Kathy and TiTi

Thanks. I'm not going to require testing, much as I'd like to, because this woman has no experience using the ear for testing. She is a vet tech and that's reassuring.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Mine is a vet tech too.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope TiTi quits being fussy about her fuds. I hope you can figure out a good fee for the petsitter.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

How long are you gone for? I am still concerned about my solution when I go away for three weeks. I have a lovely sitter who stays in the house and feeds and can do shots. But she can't fill syringes or test. I can't risk not testing for that long.

7. Kathy and TiTi

Can she shoot a filled syringe accurately?
    I ask because it might be a good idea to preload the syringes and refrigerate them. I know that we are not supposed to do this, but if you really must go for so long, it might be the best alternative

8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes she can and I did that for 5 days last year. But you cannot and should not pre-fill syringes for three weeks. Five days was a bit long. And no way on earth would I allow her to shoot blind.

I'm going across the Atlantic for my annual visit to my aging parents. Yes. It has to be that long.

9. Kathy and TiTi

Then you can't take your 3 weeks?

10. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not sure I understand? You mean take him with me? No. I would never subject an older cat to an 11 hour flight with 3 hr stopover. Plus the UK has quarantine rules.

11. Kathy and TiTi

Nono.
    I meant that if you have no way to get her insulin shots into her, then are you considering cancelling your trip?

12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That would not be possible. My mother nearly died last year so not spending time with my parents before they die is not an option. As I said. I do not have an answer as to what to do. I must go.

13. Kathy and TiTi

Of course you must. Some vets have boarding facilities. Some of them will give meds and so on. It's pretty expensive though.

Have you considered training your sitter to draw the insulin into the syringe? The walmart syringes stick and are not good for a novice. I haave , however , used the BD syringes - they are wonderful. No sticking. Here's a link to them:
    https://www.google.com/search?sourc....64.psy-ab..0.11.2268...0i131k1.0.6SzduybM14E

14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

She can't. She's nearly 80 and I wouldn't let her draw them up. Don't trust her eyesight. I am in Canada. We have different stuff here. I have lots of syringes.

I will not board. Vet not trustworthy to follow my instructions. I will find a solution.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  15. Kathy and TiTi

hmmm. There's a whole lot more to do here.

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

In north Austin we pay $15-$20 per visit. We find people in the neighborhood.

Dogs are more expensive because they need to be walked. We are basically vacation free until Leo is gone. I hope it is a few years from now. So until then, there is always one of us here.

17. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Kathy, have you discussed the fee with your sitter? I'd think $25 per visit would be a good amount.

TiTi, this is no time to be fussy. Eat yer fuds.

Sending appy vines.

18. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

It is $20-30 per visit here.

Will pet sitter administer pills also (in case she needs Cerenia/Ondan or appy enhancer)? I couldn't find one that would test - hence why I haven't left Gizmo unless hubby could do it - along with all of his other issues, I was too leery to leave him for fear he would quit eating.

19. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I would negotiate a flat fee. Say $250 for the 5 days. If she does a fantastic job and you are pleased with the care you could always throw in an additional tip of $50.

Be sure to communicate your expectations on keeping you updated (however you decide). For example, you expect a text after every shot to include time of shot, amount eaten and general behavior.

Is she absolutely against testing?

JeffJ and Gill & George like this.
  20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

That's a heck of a lot to expect even when you are paying someone. My sitter will text me once a week. Every shot is a bit excessive.

21. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I agree Lizzie, it's important to be kept in the loop, this is the type of arrangement I had with my sitter while we were gone.

What is the problem with testing Kathy? If she's a vet tech it shouldn't be an issue, even if she hasn't used the ear before, I'm sure you would be able to show her your routine with Titi so she can do the same. If she prefers the paw pad because that's what she is used to it shouldn't be an issue either, as long as TiTi tolerates that.

22. Kathy and TiTi

My other vet, the one that went back home to S. Carolina, said that their techs tried the ear technique on diabetic cats who were brought in for testing, and they did a terrible job, even some ulcers were created. I think it might be due to the cats not knowing them, plus being in a strange and disliked environment - the vet's office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.