6/16 Frosty - Week 2 of Vetoryl - amps 279, +4 340, +6 298, +8 278, +9 362. And Overnight Walk

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Last week's post.

Happy Caturday, everyone.
    Here we are, at the end of our second week on Vetoryl. Hanging strong so far. On Thursday, Frosty is going for his ACTH testing.

Not sure what's up with my AMPS - whether it's accurate, or maybe I did not get enough blood on the strip, but when I got that +4 I was wondering whether I gave a fur shot. Thankfully, his +6 went down, so I was relieved.

He did venture out into the 100s this week, which I was excited about. He also is noticeably drinking less (here I am taking advice of that article that @Av & Luna shared, which focuses on quality of life vs just numbers.) I am trying to pay attention to his behavior more, vs. just looking at the numbers. (Look at the patient, not at the numbers, is a saying in human medicine. I am sure there is something similar in vet medicine. @Janine & Floyd ). He is still his begging and hungry self, and still attacks food like a maniac and tries to steal mine when I am having dinner, so I am not sure if this Vetoryl dose is enough.

The reason for the spotty curve today is I am getting ready for the Overnight Out Of the Darkness Walk tonight in Philadelphia - it's a 16-18 mile walk from dusk til dawn for suicide prevention. So I was trying to sleep in a little bit before I head over to Philly. I was able to raise over $1600 for the cause, so I am very happy. Should be a beautiful and healing experience, especially in light of recent events. My reason for doing it is for the lead singer of Linkin Park. I was completely devastated when he passed away last year, and decided to sign up for this walk to at least feel like I am doing something for those suffering from mental illness. I've been fundraising and looking forward to this for 6 months. I can't believe it's tonight.

So I am thinking of increasing Frosty's dose to 3 units. Thoughts? @Wendy&Neko . I will be testing again at +8 tonight, after which I am driving to Philly. The pet sitter will come and give insulin tonight, then Dan will check his sugar when he gets home. Tomorrow, the walk ends at 5 am, so hopefully I'll be back around 8-9 am, and can do another curve. Not sure if I should increase at PMPS, or wait until tomorrow morning when I am able to monitor more closely.

I have a feeling his Vetoryl dose will be increasing next week, but probably won't start until the weekend, so I can monitor again, and decrease the insulin dose, if needed. But he did not hit any low 100s at all this week, so I'm thinking it would be good to go back up to 3 units. He is hopefully now more used to being in the lower numbers now after being in the 100s and 200s more over the past week, so I am hoping for less bouncing if he hits low 100s/high 90s.

Thanks everyone.
    Ana

2. Janine & Floyd (GA)

Janine & Floyd (GA) Member

Absolutely! Maybe even more so because our patients cannot tell us how they are feeling, and they don't understand what is happening. At least with a person, you have a chance to explain that a treatment may hurt or make them feel worse temporarily, but will make things better eventually. We don't have the same opportunity with our patients, so we have to balance carefully what we do for them against the quality of life and prognosis.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Running late, as usual. I'm going up to 3 units tonight. Dan will check his sugar when he gets home, and then I will do another curve tomorrow.

4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Enjoy your walk. What a great cause. Best of luck with the dose increase :bighug:.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good plan on the increase. You want nadirs below 150. Have fun on the walk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.