6/16. TiTi still spiking reds. Learned something new this morning!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-board-again-attn-texans.197023/#post-2205807

TiTI wouldn't much eat all night, unless I sat by her and pet her. Even then not so much. This resulted in her not pooping as much as she should. So 2 days ago, I started giving her lactulose, and last night tripled her dose over a 3 hour period. By this morning, only a few balls of poop appeared, and she was swollen on the side. Since TiTI has not been eating as much as usual, the Miralax and Phosphorus Binder (PB) consumed were also diminished. That explained the build up of poop.

Then I began to wonder about her appetite and phosphorus. For some reason she's started objecting to even Liz's nice powdery PB. I thought about how the blood test for PB was done at the vet's office some 3 hours after she'd last eaten. Hmmmm, if the phosphorus lingers in her system that long, might not a dose of it in a syringe be helpful, even if not given with her food? So I mixed a whole scoop of PB into some water, syringed it up and gave it to TITi. She was not thrilled. Not at all.

However, some 25 minutes later she started scarfing up food from all the bowls of food I'd tempted her with - 3 bowls with a considerable amount of food in them. After sating herself, she had a hyuge poop that cleaned her out.

My conclusion is that TiTi was too nauseous to eat much, because her phosphorus levels had inched up again. Until her eating is regular, even when dosed with PB, and Miralax, she's getting PB in a syringe 2xday, and some lactulose as needed.

Their tiny little systems are so sensitive, and so difficult to regulate once they get out of whack.

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus_binders.htm#how_to_give

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Kathy and TiTi

Thank you. I think the PB worked because it was within a half hour of eating - TiTi had eaten a bit of food. And then she ate like mad for the last 24 hours, so that seems to me to be the phosphorus at work.
    Dr. Chew said it's best when given with food. He also said, or within 2 hours of eating. Use the method that is best for you.

Dr. Chew is probably the foremost expert on CKD. He was around and doing research some 25 years ago when kidney disease was called CRF. He was a protege of Dr. Nagode at that time.

I am so glad you sent this to me. I hadn't remembered the names of these 2 doctors. Their work helped me get a few more years with 4 of my cats.

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I think so too. Just wanted to pass it along. :bighug:

Is she still eating good?

6. Kathy and TiTi

I'm so glad that you did! I've been trying to remember those 2 for a month.

She is though not as much as yesterday. Well she ate four 3 oz cans of FF , some with baby food drizzled over. lolol.

But I think something's wrong with her dose, Her BG is not going below blue and spiked to black at AMPS this morning. I reduced back to 2,75, ut I don't think it's the right dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.