6/18/18 Brownie AMPS=149; PMPS=245; What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Casey Warner, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

There has been a consistent pattern over the last several days of having a high PMPS and a low AMPS. In the early morning (6:15 am-10:00 am), Brownie eats a 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast pate. She gets her insulin around 11 am. Then it takes her from 10:00 am to around 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm to finish off a 5.5 oz. pate (4health, Paws & Claws, or Wellness). At this point, she begins to act sluggish. She will eat a little leftover pate (from the other cats) from from 9:00 pm - 1:00 am. I don't pay attention to the amount. She gets her nighttime insulin around 11:00 pm. I then confine her to a bedroom overnight with some wet pate on a plate.

So she's doing the bulk of her eating from 6:15 am to 2:00 pm. Everything else after that is really grazing. I estimate that she's eating 10 oz. to 11.5 oz. of pate food every day. She does not appear to be gaining or losing weight.

I've checked the amount of carbs on these products (with the exception of Paws & Claws) and they're all under 10% according to Lisa Pierson's chart. It's possible Brownie's sneaking dry food, but I thought there were days when she definitely didn't have any and her PMPS number was high.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get this under control?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you tell me why you increased to 0.5 units? Brownie was seeing green nadirs on 0.25 units. On SLGS you would not have increased, and would have in fact decreased with those 80's.

Other things to think about. Any reason you have dry food in the house. Getting rid of it from the house will help the numbers. It also helps to feed just in the first half of the cycle. Food in the couple of hours before her shot is going to inflate the preshot numbers. We also determine the dose based on how low it takes the cat. In order to determine that, we need to see some more tests in the middle of the cycle. SLGS calls for a curve every week.

Here is your last post here, for continuity. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...1-how-much-insulin-should-i-be-giving.196858/

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In addition to what Wendy has posted, just a thought...
    Try feeding foods lower in phosphorus. I don't know about 4Health or Paws & Claws, but Wellness and Fancy Feast are much too high in phosphorus for a cat with CKD. Too much phosphorus could be making her feel pretty crummy and/or sluggish. Not feeling well will usually cause BG numbers to rise. That *could be* the reason for the higher PMPS numbers you're seeing if she's eating the bulk of her calories between 6am - 2pm.

You not only want to get rid of the dry food in the house, but you'll want to feed wet foods less than 10% carbs and around 200 mg or less phosphorus (on Dr. Lisa's chart) with CKD kitties: Why High Phosphorus Levels Matter.

4. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

Thank you both for the advice.

I thought some of the Wellness Complete Health canned food had low phosphorus? The two I selected are listed as 218 and 200 on Lisa Pierson's chart. I'm still in the process of finding suitable, affordable canned food, but am using a phosphorus binder (Epakitin) with the Fancy Feast.

I thought that with Lantus, it didn't matter when a cat ate? Should I be sticking to some sort of schedule?

I actually don't know why I increased to .50U. That was when I was stressed out, not getting much sleep and was having headaches from all this. I'm an at home caregiver for a family member who has dementia and things get super crazy around here.

So basically, I need to stick to a better feeding schedule keeping away dry food, and do a curve? I was planning on doing one sometime this week.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately Wellness changed their formula last year, and the Chicken and Turkey which used to be relatively low phosphorus, no longer are. :(

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's a thread with new values for the Chicken and Turkey flavors: Wellness Complete Health is VERY HIGH PHOSPHORUS

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  7. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

:arghh: :banghead: :mad: What is wrong with these companies! And I was so excited to have found it at a reasonable price. :(

What about Soulistic? That was gonna be my second choice. What about Organix, Dave's, Newman's Own, Pinnacle, and Tiki Cat (poultry only)?

8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi Casey .... Elmo is hyperthyroid , aging kidneys and I feed Whole Earth Duck . It is low carb and low phos (130) and he eats it ! For backup I feed Holistic Select Chicken or Turkey both are bit higher in phos range but he will eat it . I use to feed Wellness and was so frustrated when they changed :mad: Hope this helps :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.