6/26 Gordy - PMPS 371, +3=207, +4=106, +5=50 *pancreatitis* (at ER)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

Vetty vines.

Gordy, eat yr fudz.:cat:

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. CassAndGordy(GA)

His BG is 239...

This makes me think something is wrong. With no food, he should be still going down...

He licked some of his brekkie but not enough to make me confident. It was more like just drinking the added water.

5. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this :bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending vetty vines your way.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sending good energy your way. :bighug:

7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hope he feels better soon:bighug::bighug:

8. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:
    I hope it's nothing serious.

9. CassAndGordy(GA)

I dropped him off... I hate doing that.

He was feeling ok enough to hiss at everyone. =/

They'll call me when they have updates. This could cost me a few hundred dollars... great.

10. Mandy & Rex (GA)

That's a good sign, though!

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  11. Amanda & Shmee

Our kitties are so expensive :( You are a good cat mama, doing what is best for him.
    Do you have to work or are you able to catch up on some sleep? I see you were up quite a bit last night. :coffee:

12. CassAndGordy(GA)

I have to be at work in 2 hours. I was really hoping he'd eat this morning so i could go back to sleep for a bit more. *sigh*

Now my challenge will be how to pick him up later because I work until 515 and they close at 530 =(

13. Amanda & Shmee

Oh geez, of course! How far away are you, can you ask work to leave a tad bit early? If not, I think the vet should stay open for you if needed, they would probably charge you more though :banghead::(

14. CassAndGordy(GA)

With evening traffic, I'm about 30 minutes away. I'm trying to make arrangements to leave a little earlier but someone is already leaving early =/ ill know more when i get itll work.

15. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet vines for Gordy, hope they find out the issue.

16. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

vetty vines for Gordy, hopefully a little cerenia / mirtz can spur the appetite. Good to hear he is fiesty at the vet, he still have some spunk in him. When my boy would skip bfast his numbers didn't drop much either, in fact they would tend to rise if I did not shoot.

Good luck getting out of work a little earlier or maybe bribing a vet tech to stay a few extra minutes for you.

Has he ever had a pancreatitis flareup? This would always throw his appetite off and the main goal in his life was always food.

17. CassAndGordy(GA)

He has had never had one that I know of, but it sounds like it may that this time. I kind of hope not, because I know it can be painful. =(

his vomiting lasy night is what is most worrying, because thats definitely not a norm for him in any means. His pukes are usually scarf-n-barfs or they are hairball related. This was neither.

Ill let you guys know when I hear from the vet.

18. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

It could be a flareup, no easy ways to test, I found my guys patterns would change. Has he been somewhat lethargic lately? Usually when Jack had a flareup he was not interested in food, was lethargic, had vomits even on an empty stomach and just wanted to be left alone. Some cats hide, lay on cool tile or sit in the meatloaf position. He would get a b12 shot, mirtz and cerenia and usually perk back up in a day or two.

Hope you get some answers today. :bighug:

19. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

The only time my buddy Lou has ever completely refused to eat we thought it was pancreatitis. It was a Saturday so we had to bring him to the ER vet. Shockingly (and wonderfully), he had a UTI instead. Gave him some meds and fluids and he was right as rain! And thankfully the anti-nausea med they gave let him eat and he scarfed down food as soon as we walked in the door. I am so hopeful it will be something easy and Gordy feels better soon!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  20. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hope you get some answers soon. Feel better Gordy.

21. CassAndGordy(GA)

He is a lazy kitty, so judging lethargy is sometimes challenging.

His torso has been hard lately, and I mentioned it to the new vet (we were just there Saturday!) And she saif that its probably not much to worry about right now since he was peeing and pooping fine, eating good and not getting sick. The the vomit.

Watching him get sick was a little scary too. It seemed to take more out on him - more violent is the best way i can describe.

22. CassAndGordy(GA)

PMPS 371

Gordy had a stressful day.

Official diagnosis is pancreatitis. His in house bloodwork came back all fine (except glucose obviously), so they did the snap fPL and it came back abnormal.

This is his first time with this.... heres the treatment I was given:

Half tablet of cerenia once a day for 5 days, then change the every other day for as long as he needs.
    The vet said Cerenia helps with vomiting and nausea. She also said it works as an anti inflammatory, which will help with pain. I've never heard of that with it before....​
    1 Zeniquin pill a day until gone
    She said its typically recommended for the ABs with pancreatitis. She wanted me to do the Convenia shot, but its not cheap. (Also, while I know the shot does work for his acne, I have doubts for using it on this.) I guess the Zeniquin is usually softer on the digestion system, so hopefully that's the case for him.​
    Mirtazapine every other day
    They had some transdermal version of this donated! So I have a few days of that. I also have the pills from before.
    That's it. They didn't give pain meds... so I'll give it 2 days amd if I still feel like it too "off", I'll ask for just a few days worth.

He is still not eating. They gave him an Ondansetron shot earlier and a dose of the Mirtz. He didnt eat any of their offered wet food but nibbled on some DM dry. I honestly don't care what he eats, as long as he does. I want to get some food in him before I try the pills.

Wish us luck....

23. LizzieInTexas

:bighug:

That sucks. But exactly what I thought the dx would be.

Do you have canna? I would see if you can get some pain meds.

Gizmo is on Cerenia (6mg 1x/day) and 1/2 canna AM & PM every day now. Ondan AM & PM when not eating. And pain meds as needed.

Wish they had given him a Cerenia shot. Those seem to work best to get them eating (better than the pills).

With Gizmo I have to be religious about the meds/pain med until the nausea/pain is managed. It is rough going but you can do it ;)

Mirtz I will give but usually wait until I know he is showing some interest in food. It seems to work best with Gizmo given every 4th day and I usually don't have to give more than 2 doses.

Fluids seem to help also.

24. CassAndGordy(GA)

I got the Cerenia in him. It was quite a battle :oops: but figuring out how to use my piller helped. I wish I had another pair of hands. I am surprised tgey didn't offer the shot of cerenia because I would have spent the extra money on that. Especially because the pills are always rather pricey too....

I just want him to eat. That's really my main concern. :(

I dont have any pain meds. Except some kitty valium... which is not a pain med, but its something ;)

Alsooooo - under his diagnosed, it lists "odontioclastic resorptive lesion".... its that not a good thing?? They verbally told me he just had moderate tartar for right now. Lesion are a diff thing???? Errr. o_O

25. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Oh bummer! Another idea for pain meds is bupe. Cyproheptadine is another medicine you can consider if you don't like mirtz.

Good luck - I hope Gordy pulls out of this fast.

26. LizzieInTexas

Are you using capsules? I put all of them in one cap, put a bit of butter on the end that is out of the piller then open his mouth, with his head slightly tilted back, cap (using piller) as far back in his throat as I can, push it out an then hold his mouth closed then, using an dropper type syring drizzle water in the side of his mouth (slowly) until he swallows. Then give another drizzle of water to make sure the cap is all the way down and doesn't get stuck in his throat.

He now will swallow the capsule without water and is amazing at taking them. It did take a bit of time to get there but we now have it down and he doesn't even fight me.

Have you tried to warm up his favorite food in the microwave? Free feeding put in close proximity often helps.

27. CassAndGordy(GA)

My hand is small, so I am having trouble holding his mouth open LOL. Big cat and small hands are apparently not a good fit.

I dont have the capsules or thr water drizzle thing yet. I need to go out and try and find some of the capsules. The vet actually recommended them; she said I should be able to find some at a natural food mart.... wish I knew I'd need then when I was wasting time at Whole Foods this morning :rolleyes:

I have tried a few types of food, but I am trying to space out the offerings. Right now he has some Tiki velvet mousse. Im gonna try a gravy food next. (And hehas dry now in various places.)

Poor little man is limping some. I am assuming from the blood draw... its happened in the past. (Makes me wish he had the pain pulls just for that ....)

28. LizzieInTexas

A lot of the meds taste nasty - caps are the way to go. You was #4 or #5 size. I like the #5 but they are hard to find and $$ (in comparison). The Canna comes in #4's so I save those and use them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LR8TU3M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/gelatin-capsules.html

https://smile.amazon.com/Lixit-Bulb...530058492&sr=8-3&keywords=eye+dropper+syringe

I had the bulb syringe from some old meds. Wish they still used them. The plunger syringes sometimes stick and it shoots out too fast.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  29. LizzieInTexas

I almost always give Gizmo a small dose of pain meds when we get home.

30. carfurby (GA)

I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but at least you know what is going on now and can treat it. I hope you can get Gordy to eat tonight. Sending prayers.

31. CassAndGordy(GA)

I am just beyond frustrated.

I dont know why the vet would let me take Gordy home if he isn't eating. I've offered him everything in my arsenal and nothing.

I tried to give him some cypro because I am desperate... but it just peeved off and now he is extra mad at me. So I did more of the mirtz transdermal.

And I am slightly panicking because his +3 is 207 so he is obviously coming down quickly.

So, I just sat down and cried for a good 10 minutes.

(I did order a water syringe and some #4 capsules, but I cant get them here any faster than Thursday.)

32. LizzieInTexas

:bighug::bighug:

I know.

Do you have any feeding syringes? Sometimes just getting them started with a bit if forced feeding will help.

How much (dose) of Cerenia? How much does Gordy weigh?

I am gettng ready to go to bed. 3:20a comes fast.

ETA -Tiki mousse is good to syringe feed. Thin it out a bit.

33. Amanda & Shmee

So sorry to hear about his dx. Many hugs to you :bighug: I hope you can get him to eat tonight.

34. CassAndGordy(GA)

@LizzieInTexas
    No feeding syringes.

The vet prescribed his 1/2 tablet; he weighs just a little over 19lbs (which seems crazy to me because he has been between 17-18 for over a year).

I tried to just use my finger to get some of the Tiki mousse in his mouth... I actually dont think he even likes it. Ugghh.

I have a thing of drained gravy sitting with him now... i hope he decides to lick it.

35. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and appy vines for Gordy. :bighug:

37. CassAndGordy(GA)

+4=106

SERIOUSLY FREAKING OUT.

I am going to go to a Walgreens to see if they have feeding syringes or baby spoons or something.

Omgomg.

38. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I hope you can figure something so Gordy eats something for you tonight.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

39. CassAndGordy(GA)

I am worried about his glucose levels at this point. After last nights gentle cycle and having NO insulin this morning, I was not expecting this.
    (I was also expecting at least some of the meds to actually work too.)

40. Amanda & Shmee

I wish I could help. I assume you tried tuna, maybe even some HC treats like Temptations? I don't know if that's a good suggestion though either but I would assume anything at this point would be better than nothing. :(

41. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I would say ten minutes is not enough & ordering a water syringe won't help extra as the eyeballs water all by themselves without notice or mercy.

Seriously. I am so sorry to read about this for you and Gordy. It is a wretched condition.

I don't see where your vet gave fluids? I thought but may be wrong that the first call is pain meds and fluids.

This may help a little. @Jill & Alex (GA) I think gave me the link when Ty had his bad bout.

Primer on Pancreatitis. by @Marje and Gracie

42. CassAndGordy(GA)

@PussCatPrince - GA
    I read the primer a few times today.
    My vet did do subQ (i dont know if I noted it before or not.)

As I said, I just need to get carbs in him before he goes too low.

I just syringed some of the mousse into his mouth - most of it ended up on me and the floor. He has a powerful tongue. Im gonna check on him in a few minutes, test the +5 and pray.

43. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cipro is the antidote to mirtazapine, don't give both or you are counteracting the effects. Mirtz can be given every day if needed. Glad you got the transdermal.

Sending appy vines. :bighug::bighug:

44. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Cass, syringe tiny amounts every 15 minutes or so . Do you have baby food meat ? When mine won’t eat I syringe and put small amounts on my finger and offer for them to lick . Sending appy prayers to Gordy and peace to you :bighug:

45. CassAndGordy(GA)

We are at an animal hospital

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  46. CassAndGordy(GA)

Good thing he never swallowed the cypro.

I am waiting for the vet.

He went down to 35 and i rushed him in here. I am freaking out (obviously)

47. Sonia & Leo

I hope everything turns out ok for you :bighug:

48. CassAndGordy(GA)

I feel like such a terrible for giving insulin tonight and i feel like the vet thinks that.

49. CassAndGordy(GA)

They are admitting him so they can monitor him. I wish I could take him home (which is an option) but its better to have him stay. I hate this so much.

Also, I now so far in debt from all this. The hospital stay could cost $1500. (I am hoping more like $800... if I am lucky.)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  50. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

HIgh 300's, I would have shot too. Can always syringe karo. With not getting calories in and inflammation from p'titis, getting insulin in him was a good idea. You don't have to worry about DKA too. You did the right things.

51. Sonia & Leo

Cassie, you must be absolutely overwhelmed. He's in the best place though, they will get his BG up and give him nourishment and his meds. Best of luck to you. :bighug:

52. CassAndGordy(GA)

Thank you Wendy :bighug:

I guess I need to just go home and try and get a few hours of sleep. I may not see him again until tomorrow night... i am distressed by that thought.

53. carfurby (GA)

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

54. LizzieInTexas

Try and get a feeding syringe from the animal hospital - they will have them - I could not find them anywhere locally/pharmacies. See if they have Hills A/D. It was the only thing that got Gizmo eating the last really bad panc flare. It is about 6% carb but high in calories and, apparently has some kitty crack in it :smuggrin:. It can be watered down and is easy to syringe but he also would eat it out of the bowl (eventually). Gizmo doesn't eat when at the vets. Period. It is one reason that I won't leave him anymore. I have enough experience and guns in my pocket that I can do anything they can at home.

If you can, take a towel that you have dried off with or a t-shirt you slept in to the hosp to put in with him so he has your smell with him.

Many, many vines and prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.