6/28/18/Ravan/ +7 327/pmps363/+5 110/+8 53/+8.5 67/

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. JoyBee&Ravan

I just read this about the Somogyi Effect. "If at any time the cat’s blood sugar level is significantly below normal, the answer is not more insulin but less."

His pm bg has been better but now he was in the red all last night?

3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I believe it was @Marje and Gracie or @Wendy&Neko that explained this theory is outdated and does not exist.

It is possible you are seeing the high before a low.. keep testing to catch it.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Large drops in BG can often cause worse bounces than low numbers. And the response can be delayed. My Neko's worst bounce numbers were three cycles after the event that caused it. I think that is what you are seeing. As I suggested before, you might want to test earlier in the cycle and try to slow the drops with food.

As for Symogyi, it's an old vet's tale, disproved for cats on long lasting insulins and following Tight Regulation. Your increases have been safe. Ravan is bouncing, it's that simple.

5. JoyBee&Ravan

@Wendy&Neko

Why is he now bouncing in higher #'s than ever before?
    Why isn't he getting used to the lower #'s?

Ravan eats frequently throughout the day. It doesn't seem to slow down the drop or effect the high BG

6. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi JoyBee! I know it's concerning seeing those high numbers but it's his body's reaction to spending time in lower numbers AND the fast drop he quite often experiences. As Wendy and I have both suggested, if you get a +2 and his number is even or down from the PS, it's a good indication that it will be an active cycle and you should feed at that point and try to slow down the drop. If you already feed at +2, then feed something slightly higher in carbs. And I would do the same thing around +4

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  7. JoyBee&Ravan

@ Judy and Boomer

Just tested Bg 547 Is that considered lower?

8. Judy and Boomer

It's pretty much level with AMPS but that could be a sign too because BG should be up 2 hours after food.
    Since we know Ravan likes the dramatic drops, I would feed him now

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  9. JoyBee&Ravan

I've been giving him higher carb food so if he drops maybe it will be slower.

10. Judy and Boomer

I wouldn't give him higher carb food all the time, just at key times when it looks like he's coming down quickly.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  11. JoyBee&Ravan

I only gave a spoonful when i saw the +2

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Do you think that the HC food has caused the crazy numbers? Just a thought, seems like before the food that day his numbers would drop and then a high but he came right back with the lower numbers, I’m just trying to figure it out with her, I’m still learning, seems like since he had the HC food he pretty much stayed up there, again just trying to understand

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  13. Judy and Boomer

Hard to say what happened between +2 and +7, he could have come down to yellow then went back up again. He still managed to come down 220 points in 5 hours even with the high carb food at +2. But at least it was 220 points and not 320 or 420 points :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I'll be up at Ravan's +2 JoyBee. His number should be up at +2. If it's around the same number as the PS number or lower than the PS number, I would suggest giving a tsp of higher carb food again.

14. Judy and Boomer

I don't think she's been giving high carb food regularly? JoyBee?

15. JoyBee&Ravan

No, I only gave the higher carb food one time to try & keep his BG from falling too fast.

I just tested & Bg is 110 so I'll give a spoon of Higher carb . Hoping he doesn't drop too fast! I just wish I'd caught it sooner.

16. JoyBee&Ravan

Here we go again! +8 53 He had a spoon of hi carb (FFGravy Lovers) mixed in with his food at 2:30 am but he still dropped ? I gave him another spoon of hi carb just now.

Last time he was on this dose he dropped to 35. Could this dose of Lantus be too high?

Any other suggestions for next time? (after the next big bounce)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Reason for edit: add
  17. JoyBee&Ravan

8.5 bg 67 I'm concerned about amps even if it's up, it's probably caused from the hi carb food.

Does that mean he could drop again real low when the food effect wears off? will I need to be testing frequently all day?

18. Judy and Boomer

The high carb should wear off in a couple of hours and likely he will bounce because Ravan likes to bounce. Try to not feed between now and AMPS unless you need to in order to keep him safe.
    Post your AMPS and ask for help. I'll try to be here but I'm not 100% sure I can be.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.