6/28 Makoto AMps(345) +5(146) +6(368)+8 (264) ....

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Si am cat mom, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

previous

Getting a little worried I jumped the gun on switching insulin...
    I wanted something with less ups and down because I was worried about being able to keep him safe while I'm at work overnights, but this so far doesn't seem better- just different. Hoping he just needs time and a dental...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Needs dental + not at good dose yet. SLGS calls for increases of 0.25 units at once. Fattening the dose might not do much but let some glucose toxicity set in.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Plus you've only been on Lev for 18 days. Some cats take 2-3 months to really learn how to work the new insulin. I'm sure you've heard this before - patience. ;)

Si am cat mom likes this.
  4. Si am cat mom

I was just hesitant to increase because I really don't know when the onset and nadir is still. So, I felt like I was making changes with no information...plus we had that quick drop yesterday.
    It's not too bad during the day but since I am per diem,which lately is on call at the hospital here... I don't know I'll be gone overnight until right before it happens. I am off for two days...maybe I'll try a real increase tomorrow.

5. Wendy&Neko

Are you feeding him a small meal around +2? Looks like he's one of those Lev cat that might drop hard at onset and bit of fresh food on board might help slow that down.

6. Si am cat mom

I had been with Lantus, but now I think it's been closer to +3/+3.5... I'll try to offer some sooner tonight. Maybe he needs a bit more carbs than Tiki cat or chicken offers in the first half too...
    He tends to just ask for food for the first 4-5 hours and then I just leave some cold chicken out for snacking through +7 and he eats a small amount of baby food around +8.5/+9. He snacks better when I am not home and I stick to the feeder schedule I think. I kind of expected Lev to look so much different than Lantus, but some of the times for his onset might be similar.