6/4 Titan AMPS 117, +5 63, +6 92, PMPS 116, +3 97, +4 95 (reducie), Metacam and excessive urination

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MyTitan (GA), Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Titan 6/2.
    Happy Monday to all, well it took a few days but Titan earned his reducie back to 9.5u today. He has been feeling very good and active lately so we kind of expected it. On the Metacam issue, I forwarded Wendy's thoughts to Dr Becky via email and our concerns. Dr Becky spent 20+ minutes on the phone with me this morn answering those concerns and filling in some blanks as to why she would like a trial of Metacam. Essentially she confirmed that yes in the U.S. It does carry the kidney warning but that is/was due to over dosing that occurred here. Today she said the dose is greatly reduced to match what Europe/Canada are prescribing and with much better results. She has used it on one of her own cats with good results. On dosing I have to transfer twice into smaller syringes to get the dose small enuf. We are sending in a urine sample to get our baseline and will monitor. She said first signs of problems will be reduced appy and vomiting. His last blood work from 3 weeks ago showed no kidney issues. On the drinking excessively she mentioned that May be caused by symptoms mirroring diabetic insipidus. His pituitary may be pushing out a hormone (or the tumor) that tells him he is dehydrated when in fact he is not. Hence he drinks lots and pees lots. The urine check will tell us if it's causing any issues. I think we will go forward with a trial of Metacam for 14 days and see if any improvement. Paws crossed.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie. I hope the metacam helps.

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a sign of a great vet... willing to listen and take time to explain why she/he wants to do what she/he wants to do to reassure the pet owner!! :bighug:

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck, I hope the Metacam doesn't hurt him. I am glad you are getting a baseline urinalysis first before starting it. As I said, even in Canada my vet wouldn't prescribe the reduced dose for cats. Is Dr. Becky planning on any further diagnostics to find out if it's diabetes insipidus, and if so, what type?

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with metacam! I hope it will produce the desired results. Fingers andpaws crossed. Vines on the way.

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.