? 6 Jan | Girlie AMPS 65; +3=43; +3:30=94; +4=65 Anti-Nausea drugs question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Girlie's mom, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...8-9-92-zobaline-for-hind-leg-weakness.189114/

AMPS 65: Shot even though unsure, as last night she was feeling nauseated (gave Cerenia), wasn't really hungry, and early this morning when I got a spot check she'd dropped low:
    Last night (early this morning):
    PM + 8:30 = 59 (gave 6% food)
    PM +9= 49
    PM +9:15 = 70

We'll see how she goes today, but she may earn a reduction to a drop. I'm still not sure whether I should make her try to earn this reduction to a drop or just reduce regardless.

2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! That's quite exciting and scary... Isn't the PM +9=49 an earned reduction?

Girlie's mom likes this.
  3. Girlie's mom

Hi @JanetNJ Yes, Girlie has arthritis - has had for years. However, the acupuncture vet said that the muscle loss wasn't that significant. I can order some Cosequin from overseas (I'm in Australia). Arthritic stiffness is different from this kind of "push me and I'll fall over" wobbliness, though: that is relatively new for her.

I'm not giving any B vits yet (or was that for Ty?). Everything I'm giving is in my signature, although I occasionally give the SEB for her tummy and Cerenia and/or Zofran for nausea.

I'm not giving subq fluids yet: that hasn't been mentioned for Girlie by the vet or anyone else yet. Her labs are all in her SS if anyone wants to look, though! :)

4. Girlie's mom

Well, I wasn't sure as just a few minutes later she came up to 70. She can do these on the edge readings but not really "earn" a reduction. Was the 65 really low to shoot? I wasn't sure on the human meter, so I took a chance. I was also counting on her BG going up anyway from the food and the delayed Levemir onset, although lately she's been having an early Levemir onset!

If she drops, I know I can bring her up, and then I will reduce her to a drop this PM. At Cycle 18 of 0.1, it will be interesting to see what choice her little body makes...

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Congrats on shooting green. :D I hope Girlie takes it easy on you today. 65 was not too low to shoot. Our no shoot number for experienced peeps with data is below 50 if following TR.
    Are you doing three drops under for a reduction? I think I'd consider your health and whether you are getting enough sleep too. Cause it sure looks like you aren't!:eek:

I don't think her kidney numbers warrant regular fluids yet, but it's something I'd wait for the vet to suggest.

You don' t have to order Cosequin on line. There is probably glucosamine chondroitin in the pet store for cats/dogs. I used a version made around there that also had MSM in it for pain relief.

6. Girlie's mom

Thanks, Wendy: I was getting worried that the 65 was too low, but I know I can bring her up with food/glucose syrup.

I'm not setting my alarm! I really am trying to sleep.... I got up to go to the loo and just tested her, and then had to stay up because she went low. Should I do the reduction based on the 49 last night, do you think, and the fact that she was starting to go down by AMPS? Or do I see how she goes today?

7. Girlie's mom

@Alicia & Maggie , did you do Zobaline and the B12 methylcobalamin? I thought they were the same thing?
    Also, just curious, did you give the full 3 mg of the Zobaline daily? Somehow, from other things I read, I understood that it could be mixed in with food, but perhaps you can't halve that pill if you pull it apart? Not sure how those things work...

8. Girlie's mom

Girlie is nauseated again. I just wondered if people had experience on possibly using Cerenia, Zofran AND Losec (Omeprazole) at the same time? Or should I try the Omeprazole (Losec) separate from the Cerenia/Zofran to see if that helps, and if not, then try the Cerenia and/or Zofran?

9. Wendy&Neko

I used Cerenia and Zofran (ondansetron) together. What are the signs of nausea?

10. Girlie's mom

Lots of lip licking; lethargy. She's not looking for food, but she'll eat it if I present it to her.

So far she's not doing "smell food - lick it - turn away" as she was doing before. But in the two days before, lots of lip licking! She also wants to eat grass and vomit, but my flatmate cut the lawn, so she's out of luck there.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ok if you aren't giving vitamin b 12 methylcobalamin yet that should be the next thing you look into.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They are the same, except zobaline is b12 and folic acid together.

13. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I give Phoebe the zofran 2x day and cerenia 1x day. They seem to work well together for her.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  14. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

I just started B12 meth., so just a little overlap. I was going to continue Zobaline, but I think I'm going to hold it out now. I did do 2 tablets of Zob. for 30 days at the beginning as they recommend. The tablets crush easily, so you would need to crush them and divide the powder.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  15. Girlie's mom

Well, some excitement for sure! A little shark dive, but up very quickly (note to self: 12% carbs even this early is way more than enough, perhaps?).

She gets a reduction tonight to a drop! Wow! I hope she holds this... :D I was thinking of trying to reduce carbs and see how long she could stay in green and start in green for AM/PM PS, but I have to go back to work full-time in two days, so perhaps best to try this reduction and see how we go so I'll know she's safe when I'm at work.

AM+3 = 43: gave 2 tsp 12% gravy (CIK Pumpkin Lickin' Chicken): licked it all up and looked for more
    +3:30 = 94: gave 6% Wellness Beef Salmon (ate, but not enthusiastically)

16. Girlie's mom

Thank you so much for all of that information, @JanetNJ , @Alicia & Maggie re: the B12/methylcobalamine

Thank you, @Phoebes for the info on the Cerenia and Zofran.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  17. Girlie's mom

AM+3 = 43: gave 2 tsp 12% gravy (CIK Pumpkin Lickin' Chicken): licked it all up and looked for more
    +3:30 = 94: gave 6% Wellness Beef Salmon (ate, but not enthusiastically)
    +4= 65: gave 8% (didn't eat much; might have to resort to gravies given her sore tummy right now...or Mirtazapine - we'll see)

18. Girlie's mom

I'm seeing the vet on Monday to discuss what happened when she was boarded and went hypo and their response. I might as well get a full blood test done again and get the folic acid tested, or perhaps I can just give the Zobaline without this? She had her last bloods on 11 November (see Labs tab in SS).

19. Wendy&Neko

At least in North America, the b12 and folate are on the same blood panel, at least if sent to TAMU. Might as well test to see if she is difficient before supplementing.

Congrats on the reduction ion. Timely on your pending return to work.

Girlie's mom likes this.
  20. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Congrats on the reduction!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.