? 7/14 Catcat AMPS 230,+4=209,+6=265, PMPS 283 --dose increase??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CandyH & Catcat, Jul 14, 2019.

1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-13-catcat-amps-268-2-75-212-pmps-271-3-25-188.216775/

well, we survived yesterday with only one midcycle test -- when we got home, late afternoon, Catcat was just finishing up the last of the food I'd left out for him (guess he wasn't a vacuum-cleaner cat, for a change); so any test then would have been food-influenced, and if I waited a couple of hours to test again, that would be within the two-hours-to PMPS, so -- he had to wait

he woke us at 20 til 5 am -- madly searching for food -- I was madly searching for the nice dream I'd been having -- tough, but I kept us on schedule -- he had to wait again -- but even if aggravated, gave me a nice shootable number

what is it with cats who lick and chew on plastic? grocery bags, chip bags, ziplock bags, and so on -- is there any nutrient they are missing that might be in the plastic? or does it just smell good?

2. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

And electrical cables! :p Have a great day! :)

3. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Cats are so weird! I have a civvie that likes paper. Drives me nutty. :rolleyes:o_O

I am happy Catcat was good for you yesterday. I am sorry he woke you up last night. :bighug:

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Feline Pica?

A while ago we have a cat here who was chewing on plastic bags, drove his mom nuts and I researched online for her a little back then and read that chewing on plastic in particular, not the other oddities , could be indicative of a nausea.
    It was awhile ago, I don't remember which site it was.

5. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Figaro loves plastic bags, specifically the handles. They are not allowed anywhere in my house because within a few minutes he will find them. He developed the habit when he was "out in the wild" for 6 months (missing.. long story, got him back and thankfully this was well before diabetes), I'm quite sure he associates them with food still, as I'm sure he was scrounging trash during that time.

He also likes to chew on cardboard and I've noticed that is much more common if he is bored or if I've been away on a trip (also suggests boredom). So if I notice the behavior, it's time for new toys and extra scheduled play time :cat:

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

One of my GA kitties used to lick photographs. Menace likes plastic bags and envelopes. HERE is a little article about these odd behaviours. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. CandyH & Catcat

doesn't seem to matter if he's hungry, has just eaten his fill, or what .. doesn't matter if the plastic has held or been in contact with food .. at first I thought he might have been going after my scent on things, then I saw him pulling a bag out of a cardboard carton containing them, that none of us had touched

and he doesn't go after the cloth or pressed-paper bags that DO contain food --- ECID -- :p:confused:

8. CandyH & Catcat

(sigh) not looking forward to tomorrow, I guess I'm due to run a curve -- Catcat will hate it, his ears are already scabbed up a bit :(

my guess is we need to increase by .25 -- more yellows than blues, and green is two weeks in the past, even before his dental

question, with the test results already in, do I NEED or HAVE to run a curve?

9. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

I would say you have enough data to go ahead and increase up to 1u.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not what you asked about, but I had to comment. The “no food two hours before shot” thing is for newbies. What it should be is “no food if low enough that the food might influence the preshot and he would otherwise be unsafe to shoot”. In my shoes, I would have tested when I got home, seen he was in the yellows and not worried about shooting a food influenced number, so test at the usual time for PMPS, feed and shoot.

With SLGS, you hold the dose if nadirs are between 90 and 149. I see a 102 in there a few days ago. Plus I suspect he was in that range in the wee hours last night. No need to curve, just continue at this dose. If you were following TR, and you test enough for it, you could increase. But with SLGS, stay at 0.75 units.

11. CandyH & Catcat

remember, we just got off Vetsulin, where the 2-hour prohibition really makes sense -- only twice in the more than two months, have I had a preshot below 200, got close the other day with a 204, but on Lantus he doesn't have the precipitous drops we were used to

last night he was still eating Friskies --deliberatedly -- as it acts more like a MC for him than an LC -- in hopes of moderating his hunger for this morning -- I was wrong, he got us up even earlier than usual -- in the past he's usually been hungriest when his BG was (relatively for him) high

thanks for the comment and education -- I'll modify my stringent "gotta wait 2 hours" procedure -- actually usually don't feed for the last half of the cycle, something left over from Vetsulin days, where if I fed after nadir, the BG would go much higher, so I couldn't tell if it was food, or a bounce

no way would Catcat put up with TR and more testing -- as it is I have to dodge claws and teeth, and hang on to a wriggling cat whose only thought for the moment is "get out of here" -- though if I say TREAT, he'll stop and reverse

if I do an increase down the road, and I suspect it's coming, I'll probably modify my no-shoot number; for Lantus, with the experiences he's had, 200 might be higher than necessary, I'll have to reread the sticky but somehow was thinking that we are working towards 150 as the no-shoot

12. Wendy&Neko

Actually, you test plenty for TR, but you gotta go with your comfort level.

As for feeding last half of the cycle, limiting carbs after nadir is still a good practise. It can still impact duration, though probably not as bad as with Vetsulin.

Regarding the no shoot number, you are right, it goes down with experience and data. Eventually you can shoot as low as 90.

13. CandyH & Catcat

testing even every 3 hours tests both my comfort level, and Catcat's .. once I figure out the time frame for his nadir, I'd be happy to test only then, or around then; I'm reasonably sure it's before +7 but could be as early as +2.5

first 3 days (6 cycles) probably "don't count" as that's when the depot was filling up; I suspect his system was still on the time frame he'd had on Vetsulin, but he's been pretty flat in the 200s -- I'd love to see medium blues and an occasional green -- without the worry of bottoming out, two near-hypos was enough .. though I have plenty of ingredients to support him .. had enough then and have bought a few more since

he's been lazing around as if he were an old cat -- but I've had him only four years and when we adopted/rescued him from his second family, he wasn't much more than a barely-grown teenage kitten -- never have been able to find the paperwork we got with him, probably victim of DH's "let's get this place cleared out" -- vet thinks he's at least twice the age I figured, hard to tell, he's a cat :cat:

14. Wendy&Neko

You don’t have to test every three hours on TR, just the preshots and at least one other test per cycle. More of course if they are going low. I did around 5 tests most days. Neko’s Lantus nadir was anywhere for +3.5 to +13. Huge sigh.:rolleyes::cat:

15. CandyH & Catcat

maybe I was watching the wrong partnerships -- looked to me like it was test-every-hour for much of the day or night, maybe stretching to every-3 at night

a lot of PJ parties which definitely won't work for me -- as it is, I'm not getting the sleep I need, six hours if I'm lucky, and I wind up falling asleep midafternoon, feel logy and sore all over the rest of the day, then have a hard time falling asleep after I lie down at night

my body wants ten hours of sleep, always has; I can tough it out on eight if I get to sleep in on weekends, but retirement doesn't allow that either, DH is up and at it by 6:30 -- or would be if Catcat didn't wake us up around 5 -- I've been known to let him sleep while I get up and test-feed-shoot