7/16 Ming (wearing Libre) AMPS = 169, +4 = 121, +7 = 180

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Crista & Ming, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-14-ming-pmps-220-2-129-2-5-88-3-106-ming-has-freestyle-libre-on.216843/

Ming has the FreeStyle Libre on!! Numbers from the Libre are inputed regularly on the SS while numbers in parentheses are from my OneTouch glucometer.

JULY 15 PM CYCLE
    I've only put the lower numbers in the title and they're also numbers from my OneTouch and not the Libre. Although, they're not too far off from each other.

For example:

At +6.5:
    OneTouch = 41
    Libre = 47

Should I reduce tomorrow AM if Ming isn't bouncing even though I have my reduction rule? I don't like how he's diving at onset.

I read that too somewhere on the manual. I'll have to re-read it again tomorrow on my day off. I'm in charge of writing up the protocol for clients who may use the libre at work in the future!

I'm really loving the every 15 minute readings from the Libre. I'm seeing lows and dives I otherwise would've missed because I'd be waiting for the hour mark.

In retrospect, I think I should still use my glucometer before shooting. But I haven't noticed too large of a number difference when I compare. I still need more data to make a better conclusion though.

Right now, as I post this, my SS isn't complete. There are a few numbers from my glucometer I haven't inputed yet but I will once I have time tomorrow. I didn't write down the numbers immediately so I have to do some work to match the times I took blood and the times I used the Libre.

I'm glad too. Seems like 6.5 units is working.

I also wonder what's causing the higher dose..

I gave up collecting pee from Ming at home but I'm going to try again. I just seem to never catch him peeing. It's time to take away his usual litter and replace it with no-sorb litter and see if that works.

I got Ming's blood work back today. No pancreatitis. Some glucose and protein in his urine (I'm not sure what that means and I'll be googling tomorrow). He's a little dehydrated but not enough to do anything about it. His blood was super fatty as usual. I spoke to a doctor about it and he isn't concerned - thinks it probably has to do with his pancreas (I think he said that) not being able to digest something (I forgot what the 'something' was) and is probably what caused his diabetes. But he recommended I talk to the Main Vet about it to see what she thinks but she's away at the moment. He's a good doctor too and one of the best in the clinic.

I forgot to send myself Ming's results but I will once I go back to work on Wednesday :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Crista & Ming

+7 = 68 (onetouch)
    = 61 (libre)

Taken 1-2 minutes apart. The lower number on the Libre is most likely because Ming was rising and 6 to 18 minutes ago, he was lower.

Veery interesting!

3. Crista & Ming

BUT...

At +4 =
    Libre: 59
    OneTouch: 47 (four minutes later)

4. Crista & Ming

+11 = 34

Ming has answered my question from last night :woot:

I'll be draining the depot again this AMPS. And giving 6 units tonight!

Reductions, reductions!

5. Crista & Ming

+11.5
    Onetouch = 68
    Libre = 41

Ah, here is where the Libre is lagging.

6. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Good luck with the reducie Crista! It's great you're keeping us updated on Ming's progress with the Libre. Very interesting! :)

Crista & Ming likes this.
  7. Crista & Ming

JULY 16 PM CYCLE

AMPS = 169 (both Libre and OneTouch)

I think gave too much food/carbs or he was naturally coming up anyway (I gave 1 tsp HC with a pea size of honey). Also Ming pushed the open can of FF HC onto the floor and ate some before I could stop him :eek::rolleyes:

Shot 4.5 units to drain the depot. Will be shooting 6 units tonight.

How exciting!

Although, I do wonder if the compounded pred is losing effect because it says it expires on July 24th. When I go pick up another prescription, I'll go ask the pharmacist what they think. I asked the Main Vet again if I can stop pred and she said let's look at the bloodwork before we make any decisions. She's away for the week so we'll see what she thinks when she's back. It's good that his specFPL came back normal.

Also, the Libre has informed me that I have had 2 hypo events. I looked at the Libre table from last PM cycle and even though it takes a reading every 15 minutes, it didn't catch anything lower than 41 and I caught 34 on my glucometer. I think this would be very important to have REAL TIME BSL during an actual hypo event but the Libre can't provide that which the Libre manual warned against too. They recommended checking BSL with a regular glucometer or to use the Libre's glucometer and strips which is built into the Reader (FYI: when you buy the Libre, no strips are available so you'll have to purchase those separately.)

But the Reader gives warnings and trends whenever I check glucose. There will be an arrow that tells me if numbers are trending up, down, or staying steady. And warnings if numbers are going low.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 6.09.24 AM.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Very Interesting Crista!

Do you find that Ming is minding the sensor? Even though the values vary, it seems like they don't differ much more than the actual accuracy of a normal Glucometer. I hope Ming surfs safely today :)

Have a great day :D

9. Crista & Ming

Sometimes his back twitches especially when I touch beside it. But otherwise, he seems fine. My mom thinks he’s hunching low but I don’t notice it.

I think a more active and flexible cat would’ve kicked the sensor off by now. Ming doesn’t do much lol

Yes I think I’d feel okay using only the Libre if I wasn’t so aggressive with dosing. The Libre manual did acknowledge the 20% meter variance but seeing the numbers match up with my OneTouch feels like a good thing. I wonder how the Libre would compare to other glucometers like the ReliOn that many users here use as well.

AmandaE likes this.
  10. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

It's so interesting! I'm glad Ming isn't bothering with it :)

11. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Yes, it's great that Ming is leaving it alone. Phoebe Squeak scratched her first one off 5 minutes after we got home from the vet! :banghead:
    It is such valuable info -- even if the numbers aren't exact, you can see patterns and that's great data to have.

12. Crista & Ming

I was concerned about that!! I read your thread prior to applying the libre and it was very helpful.

It definitely is!

I'm surprised Ming's not bouncing off the moon because of the low numbers this morning but I see the 4.5 units is losing effect.

13. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

14. Crista & Ming

Hahah!!! Oh Phoebe. I see she kept it on for 12 days! It's our third day so fingers crossed he keeps it on.

I've been calling Ming The Button Boy because of the Sensor. I'm almost tempted to draw on the sensor to make it more appealing but i don't want to ruin it :smuggrin:

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yikes! What a night! Good luck with the reduction.

Protein in urine, depends on the level. Above 2, might want a urine protein creatinine ratio done. Could be early warning on kidney disease. It was my first clue with Neko.

With the Libre, maybe you can better figure when he onsets and feed something 30 minutes before hand to help slow fast drops. All that data would be great for figuring our how to feed the curve.

16. Crista & Ming

Ohhh. I think he got one back in October when he was hospitalized so it would be interesting to compare the results. On his x-rays and multiple ultrasounds, they did notice one of his kidneys were smaller than the other. I was told it was maybe because he had damage to it previously.

Yes! Good idea! Looking at what I have so far, I can't say for sure but +4 looks like Onset/diving time but +2 also looks like onset. We'll see!

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It will be easier to spot if he stays on the same dose for a while. Bounce breaking cycles also mess with data.

18. Crista & Ming

Ah right that makes sense. Hope 6 units is a good number for Ming :)

19. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak