7/19 Rex AMBG 63 - OT questions about civvie's labs *warning - sad post*

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandy & Rex (GA), Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

One year anniversary post

I am not sure where to start. So much has happened since my last post. I had to let go of my baby Tanner on 6/15. He was 18. Something happened after he turned 18 on May 5th and went downhill rapidly - 7 pounds on 5/22 and on 6/15, he was only 5.5 pounds. :(:( He had hypothyroidism, for which he was getting thyroid supplements for 4.5 years, then was diagnosed with pancreatitis in August 2017. The possibility of SCL had been also discussed, but I didn't do a biopsy. When he stopped eating on 6/3 completely, I knew something was seriously wrong and started syringe feeding and all the meds for a panc flare. It could have been SCL really kicking in or maybe it was kidney failure because we noticed his BUN value went really high on the 5/4 labs and had plans to check again in mid-June. No matter what I did, nothing worked. He was obviously miserable for the last week and continued to lose weight. At the end, other cats were avoiding him so they all knew he was ready. This is the picture taken on 6/9 of Rex washing food off Tanner's face after a syringe feeding (I was learning so hadn't gotten it down pat yet).
    2018-06-09 18.44.50.jpg

I had been concerned about Keena because I brought him home at 4 months old and Tanner was 3 years old so they had a very strong bond from the start to the end. I wasn't sure if it would impact Keena in some way when Tanner left us. I do not know if it really started before, but I noticed he stopped eating well and keeping more to himself. Of course, we were also going through a heat wave. But both Rex and Precious ate well so it really stuck out when Keena didn't eat. I also have Surefeed microchip feeders for all 3. The first one was for Tanner to encourage him to eat more and I bought one at a time and never made it to the 4th. Keena was still eating Dr. Elsey's - mostly at night when we sleep. He was the 2nd one to get one because he was waking me up at 5 AM on the weekend! :blackeye: But then it got less and less and I knew he wasn't maintaining his weight.

Keena saw the vet on 7/12 and I finally got a copy of his labs. I was hoping a lab guru here could look and see if something stuck out. The vet discussed the esoinophils, saying the percentage should have been 5%, but it is 23%. At this time, I hadn't noticed diarrhea or vomiting to point at IBD. Unfortunately since then, he has had 2 bouts of diarrhea. I had been finding hairballs more often, but couldn't pin it on one cat. Tuesday night, he was super clingy, which means he doesn't feel well. He barely touched his nighttime meal and when he did, he immediately vomited. He slept with me all night, which again isn't normal for him. I found 2 small spots of hairballs when I woke up. Then he absolutely refused his breakfast. He ate okay in the afternoon and ate better, but not 100% last night. This morning, he again refused his breakfast. The cats all get one choice of wet food. The vet also said he would consider administering a broad spectrum dewormer because it is possible he has parasites. Keena is an indoors only cat (everyone is).

Ideas?? Suggestions?? Keena's labs will be uploaded as a thumbnail on here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have no answer but I have these...:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sending healing vines for Keena.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  3. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry it was Tanner’s time to go to the bridge. Sending vines for Keena.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Such sad news, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Hugs your way and I hope you find out answers with Keena. :bighug:

5. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

PS that photo is just darling :(

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry to read this. Nothings in the labs jump out at me. The kidney values are still quite good. If it was some type of cancer which I suspect might be likely, it won’t always show up in blood tests. The big weight loss so fast could cause hepatic lipidosis but your vet didn’t see signs of that. I know you would like answers so hope someone has one. :bighug:

7. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Vines of love and comfort to Keena (and you). Very sorry about Tanner.:( That's such a sweet, tender photo, as is your avatar.

8. Mandy & Rex (GA)

That weight loss was about Tanner. I do suspect cancer was in play with him.

I'm asking about Keena's labs now. He hasn't lost much weight. Less than half a pound, I'd say. I just don't understand why his appetite is so up and down when it was pretty steady before. I'm attaching a picture of Keena to give him a distinction from the others. He's a seal point mitted Ragdoll.
    2018-06-26 19.20.13.jpg

9. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to read about Tanner. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. tiffmaxee

Keena is gorgeous or I guess I should say handsome. I’m sorry for my mixup but I did look st TVs right labs that look really good to me. When all seems good I think pancreatitis.

11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

The vet suggested IBD. What do you think of his other suggestion of it being a subclinical parasitic infection and we could treat with a broad spectrum dewormer in a topical agent? That scares me because of the other 2 cats in the house plus a dog.

12. tiffmaxee

Have there been fleas? If I didn’t see worms and without any evidence I’d not be inclined to deworm but I’m not well versed in this area. Was the Spec fPL run? I know I bring this up a lot but theytjonk pancreatitis is much more common than ever thought before. Vomiting hairballs is not considered know for cats any more either if it happens more than occasionally so IBD is possible. I’d see if the diarrhea persists. Max developed pancreatitis when Tiffany got lymphoma but it wasn’t apparent until after she left us. He was very sensitive. He didn’t have any symptoms that I recognized until he refused to eat his CD and then became inappetent. I wa expecting he had cancer too but he didn’t and never got it. He did have hairball vomit more than considered normal but he was very furry. You might recall I lost him to heart disease that never was diagnosed combined with quick advance of CKD, a viscous combo.

If the diarrhea persists I’d try metronidazole.

13. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So very sorry to read about Tanner, peace and comfort, Mandy. Lots of healing wishes and energies to Keena, I hope you can figure out what is going on.

14. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry to hear about Tanner. :bighug::bighug::bighug: And Keena, seems to pour when it rains here too. :(

Did the vet suggest any follow on tests such as an ultrasound? Or the TAMU GI panel? That would include the test for p'titis. I had a vet tell me inflamed eosinophils could be allergies or parasites, and something she saw frequently in kitties from shelters.

16. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Thank you. I just don't want to treat for something that may not be there. The vet gave me 2 choices : treat as if IBD or as if parasites. He didn't suggest other tests. I may call and ask if the lab has enough to send in to TAMU.. Unless 1 week is too old.

Warning : watery vomit with little hair ball picture coming up. This is what confuses me - the hair is orange and he's not orange and I have never seen him lick any other cat.
    20180719_164814.jpg

17. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I don't have any ideas.... but just more hugs. Hopefully answers come soon.

18. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

So very sorry to hear of your loss. :(
    Your photo is beyond precious!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The orange color may be bile. It also has a particularly funky small.

Could your kitty have eaten anything problematic? One of my kitties ate string and it caused all sorts of problems. If IBD is suspected, one of the easiest tests to run is an ultrasound. It's not definitive but you'll have an idea if there's inflammation.

20. Mandy & Rex (GA)

When I cleaned it up and looked at it closer, it was definitely hair. I didn't dare to smell it.

I had an ultrasound done for Tanner last summer and the radiologist didn't take measurements and his report was lacking. I wouldn't use him again, but he's the only one around here that's board - certified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.