? 7/2 Catcat AMPS 324, .8u Vetsulin +2 231 +5 122 PMPS 373

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CandyH & Catcat, Jul 2, 2019.

1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

introduction and getting info for transitioning to Lantus

dental yesterday, cleaning and 4 extractions, Convenia injected, antibiotic injected for chin abscess, Onsior 6 mg, 1 a day for 3 days

vet wrote script for Lantus pens, suggested dose 1.35 units bid

planning on SLGS, partly since Catcat still fights ear pricks, also he is a bouncer .. was relatively stable at 1u Vetsulin until we had an unusual drop into hypo territory; reduced to .8u, with not much change in numbers; will see if further reduction is warranted once he heals from dental work and abscessed chin "cat acne"

Catcat eats Blue Wilderness or 4 Health or FF grain free LC daytimes, Friskies pate at night
    extra virgin olive oil and turmeric added to main meals (shot time) currently 7a-7p

my opinion is the dose recommended by vet is WAY too much, even for the intro period when the depot is filling up, what do you think?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. I also switched from Caninsulin to Lantus. I think you’ll like it. Typically we suggest taking the dose of the existing insulin into consideration. Maybe 0.75 units Lantus since 0.8 Vetsulin was seeing greens. Do you have the U100 syringes with half unit markings now? Not sure how you would even measure 1.35 units. Hard enough measuring quarter units unless you are using calipers.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  3. CandyH & Catcat

yes, 1u vetsulin saw low greens, 52>38>100>79>176 -- had to get out the honey, Temptations, TwinPet MC food; no symptoms that we could see
    .8 got one high green so far

have a few U-100s with half unit markings, actually have been using those to dose the Vetsulin since my U-40s don't have half unit markings, wanted to reduce from 1u to .75 unit, was easier to use conversion table with U-100 syringes since 2 mark on them = .8 for U-40

vet wouldn't write script for U-100 syringes, said to have pharmacy/online source call her if necessary; will see if Walmart will sell me the ReliOn ones

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I also think 0.75u is a good starting point. If you're in the US, you don't need a prescription for syringes. You can buy them anywhere (I buy mine from ADW Diabetes). I also switched from Vetsulin to Basaglar (glargine insulin like Lantus), then to Levemir. I absolutely LOVE these depot insulins and hopefully they'll help Catcat even out his BGs. There's a lot to get used to, as Vetsulin is dosed based on preshot and Lantus is dosed based on how low it takes a kitty. Familiarize yourself with the stickies at the top of the L&L board to get yourself used to how it works and what to expect. We had been at this almost a year before we switched, and it felt like I was a newbie again. But once you get the hang of it, it's so much easier to me than Vetsulin.

I'm excited to get to know you both! Sending healing vines to Catcat during his dental recovery!

5. CandyH & Catcat

thank you -- actually I was dosing the Vetsulin more based on the nadir values than any preshot, because those (PS) were after the insulin action had run out, more or less what Catcat's body itself was running, and that varied a LOT .. was looking for near-normal values when the insulin WAS kicking in, and feeding so his poor liver wouldn't panic unnecessarily

true, this state (Washington) doesn't specifically require prescription for syringes, but many of the local pharmacies are doing what they can to alleviate some of the drug problems in the area, so they want to know how the syringes will be used -- I usually have cans of catfood in my cart already, and glucometer strips, so I haven't had to answer more than "it's for my cat"

thanks for seconding the initial dose amount, that's about what I was thinking too, but defer to those who have more experience