7/2 Help with Luci - AMPS 42 - NS - .25+28/35,.50+57/53,2+86,3+105,6+275, PMPS 313,2+221,4+227

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Stunned to see 42 on the meter this morning - what's the protocol? I have not fed her yet this morning. How long should I wait. I've never shot on a number below 50. PLEASE ADVISE.
    @Chris & China @Wendy&Neko @Mandy & Rex - anyone up?

I tested again with two meters at +15 minutes - no food on board. She was 28 on my original meter and 35 on the new back up meter - both Relion Confirms. I can't wait any longer to feed her - don't want to sit here and watch her go hypo. She ate about 2 tbsp HC FF 21%.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Did you test twice to be sure the 42 was correct? I am new but I see there aren't many people online right now so I just re-read the sticky for handling low numbers and you do not shoot under 50. You can wait up to two hours if you want to shoot if you want (after you do not feed, to see if she is coming up naturally), but you can also chose to just do a NS all together. Are you going to work today? The sticky has lots of helpful info for a preshot in the 40's. Scary but congrats on the reducie :) Always baffles me vets tell people not to test before a shot. Ugh!
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tight-regulation-shooting-handling-low-numbers.147/

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Yes, I was just re-reading that as well...going to test at 15 minutes to make sure that meter is correct. Have a new meter as 'backup'. Getting that out now.
    I work from home...so I'll be here monitoring.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. Amanda & Shmee

Good luck, I wish I could help more. Hopefully a more experienced member will hop on soon.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

What's going on Luci!?! I think I would definitely stall without feeding and see if she's coming up. Honestly though, with how she loves to dive, I think I would NS this one. I wish I had more experience on this end. You gotta stay safe out there Luci!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm at work and may not be able to stay on. Feed a little bit at a time so she doesn't get full and test again in 20 minutes.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

I couldn't comfortably wait any longer - fed her some HC - she tested at 28 at +15 minutes...I'm not going to sit here and watch my girl go hypo... :( :( :( frantic!!!

8. Sue and Luci

Agree!!

9. Amanda & Shmee

Oh wow, yes if she is going down and not up definitely don't want to stall any longer. Come up Luci girl!

10. carfurby (GA)

Breathe. Do you have any karo or honey? If her numbers don't come up, you can always put a drop of either one on the HC food.

11. Sue and Luci

Yes, Karo paw will be next if she doesn't turn around on that HC. Waiting for expert advice on insulin dose this morning. I'm not shooting 2 u with her heading down like this...

12. carfurby (GA)

I'd say with that 28 you should skip. It will help drain the depot.

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Carla. Skip, call it a fur shot, and keep to your normal shot time this evening.

14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I wasn't on earlier. You always skip if it's below 50 at shot times unless you stall and it comes up with no food and it's above 50.

Congratulations on the reduction tonight to 1.75u. Keep monitoring today even though you did a NS to make sure she doesn't go low again. The depot is still in play.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Sue and Luci

Still not too late to give shot -since feeding one portion of HC she's now at 86; I'd shoot, but not sure if I should reduce??? I will wait until hearing from experts @Wendy&Neko , @Mandy & Rex, @Chris & China - Thoughts on late shot? It would be an hour late at this point; could work back from that by 15 minute increments starting tonight OR just skip AM shot and go with regular time tonight.

16. Sue and Luci

Ok, thank you for that advice. I'll remove the 911 now - I think the crisis has passed...she's on her way up...likely due to food influence. I'm working at home today so I'll be monitoring. Just posted her last number at 1+...she's acting fine; playing and running around...although I haven't been very generous with her food...she'd like to eat more - but I'm being a little stingy because I want her to eat HC if needed...we'll be watching!! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  17. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting that 86, knowing it's HC influenced because she can still drop low once that wears off.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Amanda & Shmee

Glad she is coming up and good catch :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, I'm a west coaster. I was sound asleep when your tag came in.

In the Sticky Note on Handling/Shooting Low Numbers, there is a section on general rules for stalling. It has guidelines on what to do when you see a below 50 at preshot. Start with stalling without feeding for 15 minutes. That was always enough for Neko to come up. But since Luci didn't and dove below 30, you did the right thing. If she had stayed in the 40's, you could have tried a little LC.

Now you get a day without pokies and a new reduction tonight.

Sue and Luci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.