7/20 Leo I have a dosage question please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sonia & Leo, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Leo was 52 (US) this morning, an hour after his shot. I gave him HC food throughout the day and kept checking and he stayed in the green. Had I not been giving the HC, he probably would have dropped below 50 into the “lime”. I don’t want him below 50 but at the same time I don’t want to keep him on HC, since it’s artificially keeping his BG’s up. I think we should do another reduction at PM shot.

Plus, my DH is convinced it was a partial FS last night at PM shot time.

Any suggestions?

Again sorry for not posting much lately, between watching Leo and selling/buying houses, I barely have time to keep the SS updated. :banghead:

2. Sonia & Leo

We reduced to 1.25u. We decided to reduce because of the combination of the "maybe a FS" last night and the low number this morning and throughout the day. Fingers crossed.

beggargirl likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good decision!!

There's more than 1 way to earn a reduction in dose.....1 way is to drop below 50, but the other way is to stay in normal numbers for 7 days and Leo has done that!!!

I'd hold the 1.25 for now.....if he drops below 50 again, reduce to 1U......and if he continues to stay in normal numbers for 7 more days, he also earns that reduction!!

Sue and Luci, Sonia & Leo and JeffJ like this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Sorry no one responded. The possible fur shot (if it actually was) would have drained the depot a bit so given that and the fact that you still had to give HC to keep him up it was probably good to reduce. If the good numbers don't hold on the new dose you can always go back up.

Good luck :bighug:

Leo is looking good :cat:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Those numbers just look amazing. I wish I could keep Leoberry in the greens, but he hypo's too easily.

Sue and Luci and Sonia & Leo like this.
  6. JeanW

JeanW Member

Those numbers really do look amazing! You've got lots of green in recent days/weeks. Way to go!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Sonia & Leo

Thank you! But how do you know if the kitty is going below 50 if you boost it with HC so he doesn't go below 50? I don't get this part.

8. Sonia & Leo

Thanks Lizzie, I shouldn't have added the question mark to my post because I wasn't really in a hurry for a response so no worries. I had pretty much made my mind up but this part confuses me. Maybe I should't have given the HC and waited to see if he would go below 50 but I was a chicken, lol.

9. Sonia & Leo

Thank you, I wish your Leoberry would go green for you, but hypo is too scary especially with everything else he has going on.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Sonia. Good question. In the past when Bubba was racing down the dosing ladder and was begging for the reduction, I would let him take it. What I mean is I would let him drop while monitoring carefully to give him the reduction. Now, if he just had a reduction the night before, I would assume the higher depot was still talking and I would help prop his numbers so he would surf in greens because another reduction so soon would probably not hold. But, that said, sometimes he did get back to back reductions because of falling numbers and working hard to keep his head above the 50 mark.

Hope this helps.

11. Sonia & Leo

Thanks Bobbie, it does help immensely. I'll try not to chicken out next time especially since I was there testing anyway, lol.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

To add to what @Bobbie And Bubba has already said, you can also use a little common sense. If kitty is right near that 50 line and you're having to shove HC down their throat for several hours to keep them there, that's a pretty good indication that they would have dropped below 50 if you hadn't intervened.

If however, they're (for example) at 53 and after a teaspoon of HC, they jump right up and stay there without you having to continue to intervene, that's a pretty good hint that they aren't quite ready for that next reduction and you should wait until you actually catch them below the line

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Exactly, just what Sonia did last night!

The way you did it was fine also! You gave lots of HC food and thought that the shot was a partial FS and gave the reduction. That's the common sense part that Chris was talking about. Remember, the protocol is just guidelines. It's not the Holy Grail. Continue to use your good instincts like you did last night. You are doing great!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. Sonia & Leo

Thank you for that vote of confidence Bobbie, It means a lot. :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.