7/21 Figaro AMPS=126 Shot hour late +1=208 +2=257 +6.75=397, PMPS=451 advice for safety tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Figaro's Liz, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can monitor today, and have plenty of supplies, I think you should shoot the full dose. These are the numbers you are trying to get him to. He may bounce back up today because he came down from those reds yesterday. Make sure you get a +1 and a +2 if you shoot. I can't stay on right now, but will try and check back later.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You want to make sure you're not shooting a dropping number (i.e., a number that's more than 20% less than your initial 126 reading). If necessary, do you have the flexibility to stall longer? Remember, you'll need to walk your shot time back to your original time either by 30 min once a day or 15 min at each shot time.

Tomlin and Figaro's Liz like this.
  4. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Nope, 118 after 25 min.

I can stall up to 1 hour. Will test again in 30.

Tomlin likes this.
  5. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Sorry, do you mean that as long as the numbers are within 20% it's probably okay to shoot? Or that I'm looking for a number 20% higher?

6. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

No rise after an hour 124. Fed regular meal and shot the full dose 1 hour late. Will test at +1.

7. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I'm glad you shot this morning. We started on a faster acting insulin (Vetsulin), and learning to shoot those lower preshots was pretty scary. I finally just had to do it to see how Lou reacted. Good luck today!

Figaro's Liz likes this.
  8. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Good luck today, Liz! Fig's in good hands!

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job shooting.

10. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Seems okay. He is at 257, quite a safe number, and has his regular food. So I'm going to take a much needed nap. Thanks all for the encouragement :)

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Good increase. Let's see how your little singer does at the nadir.

12. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Aaaand it looks like we are bouncing a bit. Didn't catch a nadir.

Just trying to plan ahead for tonight and tomorrow. I have to be at work all/most of the day. I'll be dialing his shot back tonight (7:45), then in the morning (7:30) and will get a +2 tomorrow AM. I don't have a great grasp on what I am looking for in that +2. I know I want to see if his number is higher rather than lower, but if it is lower, do I need to leave out MC? In addition or instead of LC? Since he seems to be seeing a bit of a bounce now, is he at a greater danger of going low during the day?

Should I wake up tonight to get a +5 or +6? I guess that will depend somewhat on his PMPS reading.

Just haven't wrapped my head around what my plan should be here. Fig has been in such high numbers, and he and I are both new to yellows, so now I need to figure out how to get him safely to lower numbers, from lower numbers... I don't know yet what he will do on the increased dose.

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

It won't hurt to get some extra tests in. Including the +6 tonight if you can wing it. The new dose is worth monitoring a little closer.

The AMPS+2 tomorrow probably will not reveal much.

Let's see where he is tonight. I'll be around.

Tomlin, AmandaE, AEHawkeye and 2 others like this.
  14. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Thanks @JeffJ for your ever-calm input :)
    He had a red PMPS, so it looks like a decent bounce.
    I do really need some sleep tonight, or I won't get through the day tomorrow. I could test before bed +4, or wake myself up for a +6. But if he's bouncing, is a +6 going to give much info?
    I am mostly worried about tomorrow, since I won't be able to monitor. The latest test I'll be able to get is a +2. :(

AmandaE likes this.
  15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks back! :bighug:
    Yes, that is a big bounce. Probably nothing below 120 tonight. You could monitor up to +4 like you said.

I won't be in the land of the living at 8am. Plus ...working tomorrow.
    Suggestions for A.M. - note that I am fairly conservative, always avoiding hypos

200 or more - 1.0
    120 - 180 - half dose
    120 or less - no dose

Open to opinions from others. Lantus and Levemir are not usually variably dosed. But I would rather give some insulin than no dose at all.

16. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Always better safe than sorry Liz! I think Jeff gave good advice :)

If I find Mowgli bouncing I usually test much less in the cycle to save his ears. You should put some thought into how long Fig stays in a bounce typically (as you gather data) for example. Mowgli can clear bounces in a matter of hours so I still try to get a +3 or +4 if he’s in a bounce :)

Figaro's Liz and Tomlin like this.