? 7/22 Perry AMPS 234, +6 135 | PMPS 126/118/132, +1 174, +2 146, +3.3 108, +4.75 87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Perry & Jenn, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Well, the new feeder was a bust last night. Perry ate out of it just fine (yesterday's condo w pic), but I woke up at 4am because I thought I heard it click. Perry was sleeping on me and woke up when I got up to check the feeder ... which made me realize he'd been sleeping on me for hours. The feeder did not click over to the empty tray (I must've heard something else), so since I was up and knew he was hungry, I fed him. We tested AMPS at 5:45 a.m. So that's probably slightly food influenced, but not too bad.

We will try the feeder again tonight. My husband realized he hadn't tested it properly last night before we loaded it up, so it might have been user error.

Hope all the kitties surf safely today!

AmandaE likes this.
  2. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad he likes his feeder! I saw his picture while he's eating, so cute little boy!! He might have some nices blues today!
    Have a great day!!

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the feeder works better tonight and Perry will get up to eat.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  4. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Darn! Hope the feeder works well tonight. Have a midnight snack, Perry!

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  5. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

+6 135, Perry looks good in blue :cool:

6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Nice slide for Perry today! :cool::cool::cool:

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  7. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hope it was simple user error & it works tonight for you guys :)! Congrats on the #s :cool:

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Really, you are just making us jealous.:)

Nice nadir today - Perry is having a good cycle.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  9. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Perry's PMPS is 124 -- in the no-shoot zone for a newbie. However, I have a feeling if I wait even just 15 minutes, he'll be so peeved that he'll shoot well up into the safe-to-shoot zone. He's hungry now! Thoughts, @JeffJ or others?

AEHawkeye likes this.
  10. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Oh my gosh he's scratching my office chair and batting at my arm as I type to register his displeasure at the situation, haha!

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  11. Moms2Tigger&Blu

Moms2Tigger&Blu Member

ignore him. its the hardest 30 min of your life lol. do exactly what you said and decide based on that number. good luck

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Just retested at 118. Why the heck is he going down? Oy.

I usually give him a bit of food around 3:30, 3:45, but he slept through it today.

13. carfurby (GA)

124 and 118 are basically the same number. Are you able to stay up and monitor tonight and do you have supplies?

JeffJ likes this.
  14. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I have a hypo kit. It's 6pm here, and if I have to stay up to monitor, I have to stay up to monitor. He's really a grazer, and I have a feeling he's on the low side because he hasn't eaten since 2pm ... but I'm also going to wait and retest in 5 minutes here. If we weren't so new to lower numbers, I wouldn't be nervous.

15. carfurby (GA)

Let's see what the next test is.

16. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

132. I just realized his first test was a hair early -- he got his shot this morning at 5:55.

17. carfurby (GA)

I think if you can monitor, you should shoot the 2 units. I won't be able to stay up with you all night, but I can check back in an hour. You'll need to get a +1 and a +2. It's up to you.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  18. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Other info: We are using the Lantus pen to inject right now, so if I did a reduced dose tonight, I'd go to 1u (his usual is 2u).

19. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Thanks Carla, you've been so helpful!

JeffJ likes this.
  20. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You are getting good advice from others. It's the old sugar dance that many of us have become accustomed to.:):bighug:

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  21. carfurby (GA)

Even if you shoot a reduced dose, you'll still need to get a +1 and a +2 just to make sure he stays safe. Sometimes when you shoot a reduced dose it doesn't affect the current cycle, but the following cycle.

22. carfurby (GA)

@JeffJ will you be able to check in tonight?

23. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Okay, good to know.

24. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, I can be on until 1am CST and if it is dire, then I can help thru 3am CST. Actually I've never gone to bed when it was actually still "dire".

25. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Carla and Jeff, you are amazing, thank you so much. Perry's still eating ... and he's eaten nearly a whole 3-oz can of food. My husband just got home, and we're discussing whether to shoot 2u or 1u right now and will post what we do momentarily here.

JeffJ and carfurby (GA) like this.
  26. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Okay, we decided to play it safe tonight. I just shot 1u. We're feeling like we don't have enough info and experience at these numbers yet. I had to really think hard about this, because we're throwing off the depot for a few days now, so that's just delaying acquiring more data at lower numbers, of course, but we weren't quite comfortable with shooting the full 2u tonight.

AEHawkeye and JeffJ like this.
  27. carfurby (GA)

You have to do what you are comfortable with. You'll get another chance to shoot a low number. Remember to get a +1 and a +2 just to be safe.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  28. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

@carfurby and @JeffJ I will still closely monitor him tonight, of course.

JeffJ and Moms2Tigger&Blu like this.
  29. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

PMPS +1 174

JeffJ likes this.
  30. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

PM +2 146

JeffJ likes this.
  31. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Perry is having a small bite right now but will want his real dinner in about an hour, 1:15, which will be around his +3.5. I'm thinking about giving him DM (at 10%) for dinner tonight, because it will give him a good boost going into the nadir. (We've been gradually moving him off the DM and onto a ProPlan True Nature that's 6%.) Thoughts @JeffJ ?

32. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

How about just feeding him the intended "good" food" - the ProPlan. I would keep moving him off the higher carb stuff.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  33. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Holy Smokes - that food has a long name:
    Purina Pro Plan TRUE NATURE Grain Free Formula Natural Beef & Giblets Entrée Classic Wet Cat Food

I went to their web site. How do they even fit that on the label?:eek::joyful:

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  34. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I'm clearly trying not to overreact here, can you tell?!? The first words on the hypo sticky are "don't panic" for a reason! How about I take a deep breath?

35. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Very carefully!
    IMG_1962.jpeg

JeffJ likes this.
  36. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The hypo sticky is a good one. A well prepared owner (like you) can deal with it IF it happens. Probably not tonight though.

It is part of diabetes mgmt. Over the coming months it probably will happen. And we just apply a little more due diligence that evening. Not a big deal. And the more calmly that we treat our kittehs, it makes the situation easier for them too.

If you look at Leo's history, he had a lot of events. While it is not routine, you pretty much get used to it. Afterall, we don't want to keep our kittehs in the 200-400 range. So an occasional dip into lime green is fine.

AEHawkeye and Perry & Jenn like this.
  37. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

+3.3 is 108. Wow. Okay, feeding Mr. Perry his bedtime snack ... and I will probably get up in two hours to check on him again.

JeffJ likes this.
  38. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I will monitor until 1:00am CST (12:00 Mountain) - basically 2 hours from now.

The snack should bring him up.

39. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

If you are awake, then one hour from now is also a good test time.

40. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Thank you. :)

He had a light snack after +2 and didn't go up at all, but it was small -- just enough to tide him over until now.

I decided to give him a light dinner, and I'm staying up to feed him again as he enters his nadir. He's a little put out that he didn't get a bigger dinner, but he'll be happy for it in an hour. And I can test again. Poor guy's ears are getting beat up tonight.

41. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The ears are part of the territory. Our poor kittehs. I used to give Leo's ears small massages, then I would massage his head. He was real tolerant of the whole deal.

I'm glad Little Dude is not diabetic. He can fold his ears flat and they almost morph into his body.:eek::D

AEHawkeye likes this.
  42. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Wow, Little Dude, that sounds like a great party trick!

I feel pretty lucky. Perry has been pretty tolerant of the ear pricks. Maybe because he knows he often gets to eat after he gets them!

JeffJ likes this.
  43. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

44. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Staying up with him is giving me a chance to get some work done that I couldn't get to earlier today, so I guess that's a good thing?

45. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

JeffJ likes this.
  46. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

...ummm yeah for your company, but not for you.

TV, Netflix, and Amazon streaming - they were all invented for diabetic cat owners.

47. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I'm self-employed, so good for the company IS good for me.

JeffJ likes this.
  48. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Oh, good news, for those who were watching the feeder situation: Husband got it fixed!

AEHawkeye likes this.
  49. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

50. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Tested a bit early because Perry was looking like he was thinking about giving up on food and going to bed. 87 at +4.75

51. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That's fine.
    87 is a healthy number. No cause for any alarms. But you do have to stay up and test at +6. We need to watch for the bottom of the curve.

52. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

He's eating well right now, so I'm more worried about his +7?

JeffJ likes this.
  53. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I used to test Leo when he was asleep sometimes. BG changes - they don't care if the kitteh is asleep or running thru the house.

54. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Since he is eating now - we are looking for the same range now for the next 2 hours. I didn't put it in excel, but his curve looks to be flattening out.

55. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

He's had a couple of lows at +9 in the past week, so I'm thinking about getting up for +7, hopefully getting him to eat a bit more to get him thru to +9, if that makes sense.

56. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

What CST time will +7 be?

If you keep feeding him every 2 hours, then he will definitely be fine. Then if he goes low then gravy time. If real low then Karo party time.

Dandelion likes this.
  57. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

We have 25% gravy and honey, so we are ready.

+7 will be 1:30 a.m. Mountain (for us), so 2:30 a.m. Central. I think we'll be okay here. You might be staying up for the 911, anyway, of course.

58. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm on the 911 now. I really think Perry will be doing good tonight. And it could actually be a nice curve for him.

59. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Nice curve for him, sleepless night for me! This really has proved to me that the depot is real and it works. I can't believe he's dipping this low with a half dose.

Meanwhile, both cats just got wound up and are starting to play. So I'm not sure how I'll sleep through that!

60. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes, many times I've seen recommendations to skip. Especially after an event. That way the depot drains.

The advantage of the depot is nice flat curves, when it works. Some cats are just bouncy though. And that makes it tough tame their BG.

61. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

My world used to revolve around Leo. Look at his years of charts. Lots of nights spent in the kitchen. The amazing thing - many others on the forum also have the same level of dedication.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  62. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

We're really grateful here. :bighug:

124 at +7. He's eating a bit of his ProPlan.

63. carfurby (GA)

Nice surfing. I'm glad Perry stayed safe for you.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  64. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Actually a pretty good curve last night. Good monitoring on your part, keeping your furkid safe.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  65. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

You were right, he had a good curve last night. Today could be a different story.

JeffJ likes this.