7/25 Perry AMPS 425; +4 80 (fed) +4.4 118, +5 116, +6 91, +7 107, +8.75 104 | PMPS 103, :20 76 NS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Perry & Jenn, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Yesterday, when @Wendy&Neko pointed out that Perry had earned a .25 reduction. Woo!

This AMPS is the real deal — the feeder is cutting him off 2 hours before his test. I guess we're still in the bounce house. We'll see where he goes today.

I was worried about civvie Chloe yesterday, because I could barely get her to eat most of the day. Fur ball, maybe. I busted out an old favorite food of hers last night and she ate it up, and she's eating again this morning. Still not sure why, but cats are mysterious, and I'm just glad she's eating again.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the reducie!
    With some cats a test 2 hours after food will still be food-influenced. Before I allowed Boomer to free-feed during the night, I had his dish rotate to an empty dish 3 hours before AMPS.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie. I hope Perry clears the bounce soon. Glad Chloe is eating again.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  4. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

That's a good point. I can't say with certainty that I have enough data yet to prove the food influence doesn't run through, say, 2 1/2 hours. Just going on what seems to be the commonly accepted wisdom on that. But ECID! I'm worried about rotating to that empty dish more than 2 hours before just because Perry has ALWAYS wanted to eat around 4 a.m. He's had 4 a.m. munchies since we brought him home from the shelter, and he sleeps right up until then.

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Congratulations on reducie!!

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  6. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hope Perry gets out of the bouncy house! And maybe Chloe just wanted a change on the menu -- she missed her old favorite food.:cat:

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reducie...hold on for the ride down...let's hope it's nice and easy.. Hopefully Chloe just wanted to be picky for the day? It happens...

Great job, mama!

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news for Chloe!
    Hope Perry does well with his reducie and clears that big bounce soon..! :)

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Oh boy, that's a moon landing for sure! Come on back down to earth soon Perry and enjoy your reducie!
    Happy Chloe's got her appetite back, it's always worrisome when they don't eat. :bighug:
    Hope you and the kitties have a great day Jenn! :)

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  10. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

80 at +4. I don't like where this is going, so I'm feeding him his DM (10%) right now.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  11. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Perry's nadir is usually in the +4/5 to +9 zone.

Suggestions for when I should test next?

12. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Thats a drastic drop I would test 20-30 mins from the +4 personally :)

13. AmandaE

PS Perry obviously takes direction from FDMB members well ;) he's skydiving from the moon !!!!

Time to surf now Perry :D

Jenn, in case he still goes lower, try not to feed too much at a time in case Perry needs tummy space for MC / LC. He's still in a safe zone but just start getting your feathers in a row in case you need to take action :)

14. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

WOW!
    I'd definitely test in 20 after +4

AmandaE likes this.
  15. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

118 at +4.4 (or whatever 25 minutes later is, sorry if I have the decimal wrong)

16. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

So the DM is doing its thing, like I know it does! Whew, deep breaths here. Knowledge really is power. I know the DM gives him a boost because I've seen the numbers.

What's my next step?

Thanks all!

17. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Fortunately, I did just that. He is still a little hungry. And he REALLY likes the DM, which is good, but if his belly's full of it, I'll have a tough time getting more into him.

AmandaE likes this.
  18. AmandaE

In the end, you can always just rub honey on the gums if he wont eat for you... but I find Mowgli ALWAYS has room for MC/HC gravy ;):p

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  19. AmandaE

maybe get another test at +5 and see how he is doing, if he is still holding his numbers up I would then grab a +6

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  20. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Should I keep testing every 20 or 30 minutes? He's just entering the low part of his cycle, so it's going to be a lot of pokes for poor Mr. Perry this afternoon.

21. AmandaE

For sure I would grab a +5 to make sure his LC is keeping him surfing and then if it is I would get a +6. If he goes below 118 at +5 I would definitely get a +5.5. Think of it like this: if he goes down: 30 mins, if he goes up 1hr.

If he goes a little down, try to encourage him to have 1tsp of LC, if he goes way down (say, back to 70/80) I might try a tsp of MC gravy... just to see if you can steer him through.

ETA (Edited to add): You want to see 2 hours of BG level increase without intervening with food before you stop testing on a regular basis.

also - do you have any neosporin to put on his ears to limit irritation?

22. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Thanks Amanda. That all makes sense.

We always test with a thin smear of Neosporin, anyway, to help the blood collect into a drop and promote healing. It never seems like it hurts him, but this will be a lot of pokes!

AmandaE likes this.
  23. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

116 at +5, so holding steady-ish. Feeding a tsp of DM. Thinking I"ll be feeding on a drip today.

AmandaE likes this.
  24. AmandaE

Perfect! I would gab a +6 and see how he is doing then! sounds like he is going to surf for you

Geeze... when Perry breaks a bounce he friggin' goes for it :p

25. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

No kidding!

He's been pretty busy watching birds out the window this entire time, so I don't think he has even noticed me fretting about him.

Sue and Luci and AmandaE like this.
  26. AmandaE

LOL typical cat :p As per JG, Perry is watching "cat tv" :p Mowgli loves it too :D

Perry & Jenn and Sue and Luci like this.
  27. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

+91, feeding another tbsp of DM.

28. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Per the Handling Low Number sticky:

• Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.

Since he went down at +6, should I test again in 30-40 min? Or do I trust the DM will do its thing for the next hour, like it did last time? I suppose when in doubt, test.

29. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Another question, because I feel I should get ahead of the game to wrap my head around it: How does this cycle affect dosing for his next? It's making me nervous to be feeding him through this one knowing that he could go lower tonight.

30. AmandaE

Because Perry went below 90 @ +4 according to SLGS he earns a reduction. His pm dose should be 1.5u.

I think for now you’re right to stick with LC and I think too that Perry is surfing. I would definitely grab a +6.5 just in case he’s still going down.

So far Perry is staying safe so let’s see what he’s at for his PMPS. That will determine what it means for his next cycle.

Tomlin and Perry & Jenn like this.
  31. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

107 at +7

AmandaE likes this.
  32. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Right, okay, that makes sense for his next cycle. And dependent upon his PMPS, as always.

This current cycle is only his second at the reduced dose (1.75u), though, so tomorrow morning, I guess we would be back at 1.75, though.

33. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From the Dosing Methods Sticky Note on SLGS " If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately." That means going down to 1.5 units tonight and 1.5 is his new dose for the next week, unless he goes below 90 again. This may or may not be too quick a quick reduction, time will tell.

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  34. AmandaE

Like Wendy said, you should hold the 1.5u for a week now instead of increasing to 1.75u tomorrow (unless Perry earns another reduction). 1.75u is over until next weeks curve ;) 1.5u is fashionable and in for Perry :)

Tomlin and Perry & Jenn like this.
  35. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

So a drop below 90 always overrides the guideline to hold a dose change for seven days.

36. Wendy&Neko

Yes, you don't hold a dose that is taking him too low. When he earns a reduction, it's immediate.

Tomlin likes this.
  37. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Got it.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  38. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Thank you, @Wendy&Neko, and btw, @AmandaE you were amazing hanging in there with me all day!

Jack the Cat and AmandaE like this.
  39. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Well Perry always wants to be fashionable. He's such a handsome boy, it would be a shame not to be stylish.
    You were my glue, today, Amanda.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  40. AmandaE

You were great today!! You kept Perry safe the whole time and he had a great surf!! I am always happy to help out if I can :joyful: :bighug:
    I hope he does awesome on the new dose !

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  41. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

104 at +8.75. Gave Perry half a 3oz can of ProPlan at that point because I think we're over the hump. Somehow, I still managed to get some work done today.

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  42. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Our exciting day continues. PMPS 103, waited 20 minutes, then Perry tested at 76. We just gave him a good dinner of ProPlan. No shot tonight, buddy, we're draining the depot!

AmandaE likes this.
  43. Wendy&Neko

Perry hit all the colours of the rainbow today, good thing to drain that depot.

AmandaE likes this.
  44. AmandaE

Wow! Perry is on a run! Good idea to skip the shot :)